UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Nov > Nov 2

Roswell 'Witness' - CNI News -- Vol. 3, No. 17

From: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 00:01:00 -0500
Fwd Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 00:01:00 -0500
Subject: Roswell 'Witness' - CNI News -- Vol. 3, No. 17

The following is posted with the permission of
Michael Lindemann, Editor/Publisher of CNI News.


From: CNINews1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:22:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: CNI News -- Vol. 3, No. 17, Part 1 -- November 1, 1997

     CNI News -- Vol. 3, No. 17, Part 1 -- November 1, 1997
       Global News on Contact with Non-human Intelligence

CNI News is a twice-monthly electronic newsletter addressing UFO phenomena,
claims of human-alien contact, space exploration and related issues,
including the cultural and political impacts of contact with other
intelligent life. CNI News is edited by Michael Lindemann and distributed by
the 2020 Group.

CNI News is a subscription newsletter. First-time recipients may receive two
free issues before subscribing. For more information on how to subscribe,
please see the notice at the end of this issue. Questions and comments may be
addressed to: Editor, CNINews1@aol.com.

The subject matter of CNI News is inherently controversial, and the views and
opinions reported herein are not necessarily those of the editorial staff.


Welcome to CNI News. This edition is in three parts. If you don't receive all
parts, email CNINews1@aol.com and request the missing part. Stories in this
edition are:

      Roswell's UFO Museum Puzzles Over One That Got Away
      Colonel Had Testified on Military Tracking of UFOs
      Huge Tourist Market Fuels Push for Cheap, Safe Rockets
      Extend Your Own Subscription When You Share the News!
      One Man's Experiment in Capturing the Elusive "Rods"
      Real Reasons For Test Are Obscure; Russians Protest
      Research Could Lead to Headless Human Clones


PLEASE NOTE: Due to the editor's travel obligations, this edition of CNI News
is being delivered two days ahead of normal schedule. The CNI News office
will be closed from Oct 30 through Nov 5. If you notify us of a delivery
problem, your message will be answered on Nov 6. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance for your patience.


Roswell's UFO Museum Puzzles Over One That Got Away

by Michael Lindemann

It is the kind of story that raises, then dashes, a UFO researcher's fondest
hopes. It is the kind of story that stokes legend and breeds paranoia -- and
leaves many burning questions unanswered.

A credible-sounding witness to the Roswell UFO crash of 1947 is on his
deathbed. His adult son, never privy to the father's dark secret until
recently, calls the Roswell UFO Museum, hoping someone will hear him out and
understand what he's saying. The old man has some important information --
and an artifact.

Personnel at the museum are intrigued but cautious. They've heard this kind
of thing before. But in a second phone call, the old man himself tells a
story full of tantalizing details that seem to ring true. Arrangements are
made for a meeting in Oklahoma.

Everyone emphasizes the need for confidentiality and security. The son is
particularly concerned for the welfare of his father and other family
members. Precautions are taken to insure that identities and plans are

But the precautions are thwarted. The planned meeting does not take place.
Instead, the museum representative, who has driven hundreds of miles, finds
himself unable to locate the son or the father. He waits impatiently in his
hotel room, waiting for a message that does not come.

Instead, he receives a totally unexpected phone call. He is directed to a
nearby restaurant, there to meet two people he has never heard of before. At
the meeting, he is told that the two are government agents, but their real
names and exact affiliations are not disclosed. They explain to the museum
representative that they have intercepted the father and son, who are now
cooperating with the government.

The agents tell the museum representative that the Roswell incident is real.
However, they say, it is not yet time to allow such things as a real alien
artifact into the light of day.

The museum representative goes home puzzled, scared -- and empty-handed.
Further efforts to contact the father and son are unsuccessful.

This, in brief, is a sequence of events that really happened earlier this
year. At least, this is the story told by Dennis Balthaser, Operations
Manager for the Roswell International UFO Museum and Research Center in
Roswell, New Mexico. Balthaser himself was the museum representative who
drove to a town in Oklahoma, intending to meet the father and son who might
-- just might -- turn over a real piece of the Roswell UFO. Balthaser says
that his planned meeting was "intercepted."

Balthaser first told his full story in a public lecture at the Roswell UFO
Museum on October 11. He has provided CNI News with a complete text of that

Balthaser says that the man he refers to only as "the son" first called the
museum in late May. The son said that his father had just told him an
astonishing story.

The son had never had any interest in UFOs and knew nothing about the Roswell
incident of 1947, he said. After hearing his father's story, he first tried
to contact the Roswell Army Air Field where his father had once been
stationed -- not even realizing that that military facility was long gone. In
due course, he was directed to the Roswell UFO Museum.

During the initial phone contact, the son gave many details that he
attributed to his father. Museum personnel took extensive notes during the
phone call. Balthaser says the son told them the following:

The father had been assigned to protect a live being that had arrived from
another world.

The father showed the son a strange metallic object which had been stored for
years in an old footlocker. The father had kept the footlocker with him at
the nursing home where he had lived since being diagnosed with terminal

The son said the metal piece was the size of a half dollar and looked like
chewing gum foil. He said that when it was crumpled up and then released, it
unfolded itself, leaving no creases.

The father described a heavily armed military unit that had accompanied an
ambulance back from the site of an apparent crash in the desert. The site, he
said, was 45 or 50 minutes' drive from the airbase.

The father said he was assigned to help guard the back entrance to the base
hospital. In that position, he watched as a being the size of a child, but
deformed, walked under its own power into the hospital.

The father said all regular hospital personnel were cleared out, and the
guards stayed on duty for the next eight hours with orders to shoot anyone
who tried to enter without authorization.

After the episode, the father was told never to talk about it, on pain of
death. He had not talked about it until now.

After hearing these details, several key members of the museum staff,
including Dennis Balthaser, deliberated on what to do. They decided to send
some background information about the Roswell incident to the son and invited
him to call the museum again after reviewing it.

On Sunday, June 1, the son called again. Balthaser took the call and took
five pages of notes during the conversation. This time, the father got on the
phone and told his own story.

To the previously mentioned details, the father added the following:

He had been 23 years old and recently returned from two years' infantry duty
in Europe when he was assigned to a military police detachment at Roswell
Field. He was now 73 years old and was told he had six months to live.

He said that on July 3, 1947, all leaves and passes at the base were
cancelled. Early on the morning of July 4, he was part of a guard detachment
that was driven to a location some 20 to 30 miles north of town. There, he
said, he saw quite a few vehicles and high ranking officers, including some
who had flown in from Washington. He believed he was guarding the site of a
military air crash.

He found the strange piece of metal while at the site, and put it in his

He was told to escort an ambulance back to the base. Once there, he saw the
strange being get out of the ambulance and enter the hospital.

He said he was debriefed several times, including when he was discharged from
the service later that year at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He was told to forget
everything that had happened at Roswell.

Dennis Balthaser asked if the old man would tell his story in front of a
video camera. The man said yes, as long as his two sons were not involved.

Balthaser then consulted with other museum staff. It was decided that he
would drive to Oklahoma for a confidential meeting with the man. If all went
as planned, Balthaser would videotape the man's statement and would acquire
the metal artifact and other promised materials and information. The son
provided a private phone number to call when Balthaser arrived.

Plans were made for the meeting. Museum personnel created a long list of
questions they hoped the old man could answer, especially regarding the
appearance and behavior of the alien being.

On June 13, Balthaser drove to the town in Oklahoma where he was to meet the
man and his son. From his hotel, Balthaser called the private number given
him by the son. A woman answered. She said the son was out of town on an
emergency trip but would be back the next day. Balthaser said he would call

Balthaser had the name of the son, who had said he was an attorney. But no
one by that name was listed in the local phone book. Balthaser also had an
address to which the museum had previously mailed Roswell information. That
address turned out to be in a trailer park. Balthaser began to suspect

The next morning, as agreed, he again called the private number. This time he
got only a phone answering machine. He called again a few hours later, and
then again still later -- each time getting a machine. Now he fully suspected
a hoax. But he waited in his hotel room, still hoping the son would call.

At 3:30 that afternoon, the phone in Balthaser's room rang. On the line was a
woman who called herself Christi. She told Balthaser to meet her and her
partner Ed at the nearby Denny's restaurant that evening. Balthaser agreed.

The meeting at the restaurant lasted three and a half hours. It began,
Balthaser says, with "Ed" and "Christi" telling him that he would not be
meeting the people he had come to see.

Ed told Balthaser that he and Christi worked for the Office of Special
Investigations (OSI). They were based in Texas, Ed said, but they took their
orders from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. They never showed
identification of any kind. Balthaser believes that their names were not "Ed
and Christi" (they said so). He does not know if they really worked for OSI.

Ed told Balthaser that they had known he was coming. Ed said that Balthaser's
home phone and the museum phones had been tapped. He also said that the son's
wife had been the one who first contacted OSI about the father's information.

Ed said that he had seen and handled the strange metal artifact the previous
evening, and that it was now in safe hands.

Ed demonstrated to Balthaser that he had a very thorough knowledge of the
Roswell incident. Ed said the government knows UFOs are real and that Roswell
really happened. He said Majestic 12 was real and is still in operation. He
said four aliens had been recovered from the Roswell crash, and that one of
them is still alive.

Ed told Balthaser that the government wants to make UFO information public as
soon as arrangements can be made to avoid panic and get the story accurately
portrayed in the media.

Ed said that someone in Roswell was keeping tabs on the museum and reporting
back to Washington. He said that he and some other agents would be visiting
Roswell at a later date and that they would contact Balthaser in an unusual

Ed also hinted that there might be an inter-agency conflict regarding the
proper handling of UFO information. He told Balthaser that his own boss had
been gunned down two weeks earlier by agents of the CIA. He said he wanted
the truth to be told but had to watch out for his own safety as well.

The agents told Balthaser a great deal of additional tantalizing information,
none of which could be verified. When the meeting ended, Balthaser knew he
had no choice but to return to Roswell empty-handed. Before going to bed that
night, however, he wrote down everything he could remember about the meeting.

Back in Roswell a few days later, Balthaser tried calling the son.
Surprisingly, after talking with an unidentified woman and waiting a long
time, he heard the son's voice on the line. The son sounded very nervous and
asked if they could talk later. Balthaser insisted on talking right then. The
son said there were others present.

Then another voice came on the line. Addressing Balthaser by name, this voice
said that the son and his family were now cooperating with an agency of the
federal government. The voice then said, "You can call me Charles," and
continued by telling Balthaser that in due time the museum might benefit by
what the son's father had disclosed, but that for the time being it was best
to keep it out of public view. Government scientists were going to study the
metal. Usually, Charles said, such things turn out to be hoaxes, although
this metal did seem quite unusual.

Balthaser says that Charles sounded reasonable and conciliatory. He concluded
the conversation by saying, "We have your information and we'll be in touch.
Our office doesn't do any strong-arm tactics. When we get wind of something
unusual, we investigate it. That's what we're paid to do. We're making sure
that American tax dollars are being well spent."

Dennis Balthaser admits that for some days after this sequence of events, he
felt paranoid. He is convinced his phone is tapped. He even wondered if his
car would explode one day when he turned on the ignition. But as weeks went
by without further incident, he calmed down.

More than a month later, on July 23, Balthaser tried once again to contact
the son. The woman who had answered before answered again. The son, she said,
had just left on a trip. Could he return the call? Balthaser left his name
and number. The son never called back.

Again in early September, Balthaser tried to call the son. This time, a
different male voice answered. Balthaser was told the son no longer lived
there. The trail had gone cold.

Summarizing his impressions of what happened, Dennis Balthaser says: "I had
an experience with my government that I will carry for the rest of my life. I
believe the United States government is still preventing people from
obtaining information about the Roswell incident."

Balthaser says he has considered whether the father and son could have
intended from the beginning to perpetrate a hoax. He can't disprove that
notion, but he doesn't believe it. He says that everything he could tell
about the father and son during their several phone conversations seemed

Dennis Balthaser says he is not scared, but he is deeply concerned. And, he
says, if his concerns are as well-founded as he thinks, "then this country of
ours has more perplexing problems than we can imagine."


Except as otherwise noted, the entire text of CNI News is copyright 1997 by
the 2020 Group. As a condition of receiving CNI News, all recipients agree
not to post CNI News on any Newsgroup, Web site, BBS or similar electronic
location, nor redistribute CNI News by any electronic means, except for the
express purpose of encouraging others to subscribe, or unless with prior
permission of the editor. In general, electronic posting or redistribution of
single articles or short excerpts from CNI News will be approved, provided
credit is given to the author and CNI News in every instance. Hard copy
(paper) reproduction and redistribution of CNI News, in whole or part, for
educational purposes is permitted.


If so, please tell others to request delivery of two free issues so they can
find out how much they like it too. There's no obligation. Send all trial
subscription requests to CNINews1@aol.com with the message "Try News."

If you've received one or more trial issues of CNI News and are ready to
subscribe, here's how.
-- Choose six months (12 issues) for $12, or twelve months (24 issues) for
$24. You can pay by check or money order, or by credit card (VISA,
MasterCard, Discover, American Express).
-- If paying by check or money order, make payable to CNI News and mail to:
CNI News, 2100 W. Drake Rd. #277, Fort Collins, Colorado 80526 USA.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure to include your EMAIL address with your payment.
-- To subscribe by credit card, you can call our toll-free 800 phone service:
1-800-898-0284; or email the following information to CNINews1@aol.com: Your
full name, email address, postal address, type of credit card, card number,
expiration date, and daytime phone number (in case of a problem with your
order). Be SURE to tell us whether you're paying $12 (for six months) or $24
(full year). Thanks for your interest and support!

If not, be sure to visit soon at http://www.cninews.com/  While there, check
out our unique "Search CNI News" feature, the only keyword searchable UFO
news archive in cyberspace.

Search for other documents from or mentioning: cninews1

[ Next Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com