UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Nov > Nov 12

Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis] &c

From: Ed Stewart <egs@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:17:33 -0800
Fwd Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:32:33 -0500
Subject: Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis] &c

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:47:51 +0000
> To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
> From: Sean Jones <tedric@tedric.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: UFO UpDate: Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis] &c

Sean Jones keeps enlightening the list with his ufological
wisdom:

> What I really wanted to say was : Its pretty bloody arrogant of
> us as a human race to say that we are the only life in the whole
> universe,

I am not aware of anyone that argues that position.

> and its even more arrogant to say that we are the most
> intelligent life in the universe.

And I am not aware of anyone that argues that position either.
Your two above statements are nothing more than strawman
arguments not predicated on any actual position with overtones of
an appeal to the gallery, i.e.
logical fallacies.

> So therefore why is ...

So, there is no therefore. Period.

> So my quoting the Drake equation was merely
> to provide "an argument", nothing more, nothing less.

You did not quote the Drake equation. You misconstructed it,
twisted it, and made it into something that it never was, nor
meant to ever be. In your ufological wisdom you may well see what
you presented as an "argument", but it wasn't an argument. It was
a misconstruction based on strawman arguments, appeals to the
gallery, irrelavent statements and a total disregard for any
semblance of logic.

> I am not a scientist, nor have I EVER claimed to be one, so I do
> not need "real knowledge"(as you put it) to know that it it
> possible.

You just need your emotions, your gut feelings and your belief
system to think that you know what is possible. You are driven by
faith. May well be that is where Ufology belongs, as a faith
driven belief system and ultimately an ET related religion!

I happen to be someone that still thinks differently, that there
may well be room for science in ufology and that there is no room
in ufology for faith.

I may well be wrong. Time will tell.

One thing appears to be certain. Those that are the most
interested, are going to the ones influencing what ufology will
ultimately become: a science with all its shortcomings such as
patience, methodical slowness, critical data analysis,
independent verifications with peer review, linkage in data and
argument constructions with an ultimate foundation to be built on
real knowledge; or a religion with all its attractions such as
miracles, pomp and glory, no critical data analysis, no
independent verifications, total acceptance on whatever the high
priests present as data with an ultimate foundation to be built
on absolute faith.

> Pray tell are you "one of those" who will not believe in anything
> until you have physical proof in your own hands that whatever it
> is is in existence?

What I believe in or not is not relevant to this discussion. What
is relevant is that I am not prepared to make a leap in faith
when it comes to UFOs representing an ETI presence on this Earth.
And from what I have been able to gather, those that have made
that leap in faith are unable to defend their belief system on
any specific compelling evidence. That is why this quagmire
exists today, fifty years after the "Modern Wave" allegedly
began.

> A blind man does not need to know that a swan
> is white when everybody tells him it is so.

A blind man does not need to know that a bird has poopoo'ed on
his head, even if no one tells him so.

Ed Stewart
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ed Stewart egs@netcom.com | So Man, who here seems principal alone,
There is Something        | Perhaps acts second to some sphere unknown.
  Going On!       ,>'?'<, | Touches some wheel, or verges to some goal,
Salvador Freixedo ( O O ) | 'Tis but a part we see, and not a whole.
--------------ooOO-(_)-OOoo------- Alexander Pope, Essay on Man -------



Search for other documents from or mentioning: egs | tedric

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp


Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com