UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Nov > Nov 20

Re: Kenneth Arnold's testimony

From: jan@cyberzone.net (Jan Aldrich)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:01:09 -0800
Fwd Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:49:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Kenneth Arnold's testimony

> To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
> From: Mark Cashman <mcashman@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: re: UFO UpDate: Re: Kenneth Arnold's testimony
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:44:18 -0800

> >  Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 19:50:59 +0100
> >  From: Don Ledger <dledger@istar.ca>
> >  To: updates@globalserve.net
> >  Subject: Re: UFO UpDate: Re: Kenneth Arnold's testimony

> >  Nonetheless they do reflect light. I've seen it myself on a few
> >  occassions, but only toward sunset with the geese flying below my
> >  altitude and the sun two to three diameters above the horizon.

> Yup... seen it too. And as you say, not the kind of reflectivity
> it would seem Arnold had in mind.

<snip>

The mirror like flashes seem to rule out birds.

However, let's assume geese.  How fast can the fly?  60 mph?

That is 1 mile/minute.  Arnold was flying approximately
penpendicular to the UFOs flight path.  He timed the UFOs for
about 2 minutes. so the flight of geese could have been about 2
miles in that.  What about tail winds?  Arnold comments on the
great flying conditions.  If he had cross-winds, they were not so
great.

So the length of the base line distance is two miles and Arnold
is approaching the flight path at a 90 degree angle.  For
simplicity, put Arnold on the prependicular bisector of that the
2 mile baseline. The objects swept through around 80 degrees of
angular displacement in that two minutes.  Well, plotting
Arnold's approximate position on a map of Washington state shows
about that angle between the two land marks he cites.  Again for
simplicity's sake say that the angular displacement was 90
degrees.  Okay, so Arnold is now one mile from the flight path.
If we are dealing with geese, he should have crossed the flight
path during his observation.

Okay, Arnold and the geese were not standing still which
influences the how much of the angle the geese swept through.
The closer he gots to the geese's flight path the greater the
angle seems.  Still he should have crossed their flight path.

The actual displacement of the geese is only two miles.  The
angular displacement argues that Arnold must be very close to
their flight path.  He should either recognized geese or cross
their path.  Now if the distance the objects traveled in two
minutes is much greater than geese can fly, then you can start
moving the the objects much farther away from Arnold.  Geese
don't seem to work.

Well, maybe, despite the comments about the flight conditions,
they did have a huge tail wind, so the baseline was much longer.

Okay, fine.  However, once Arnold turns to follow the objects he
also has the advantage of the tail wind so he should, if they
were geese, be able to see he was overhauling them.  Not geese,
again.

> ------

Jan Aldrich
Project 1947
http://www.iufog.org/project1947/



Search for other documents from or mentioning: jan | mcashman | dledger

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp


Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com