UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Nov > Nov 23

Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis]

From: Dennis <dstacy@texas.net> [Dennis Stacy]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 21:30:40 -0600 (CST)
Fwd Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 03:20:11 -0500
Subject: Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis]

>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:14:14 -0800 (PST)
>From: Jim Deardorff <deardorj@ucs.orst.edu>
>To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
>Subject: Re: UFO UpDate: Re: ETH [Extra Terrestrial Hypothesis]

<snip>

>Whether their survey was by telephone, door to door, or through
>the mail, my point is that a person who had no unusual or
>paranormal experiences, or denies that he has, and who thinks
>anything paranormal is dumb or goofy, would be more likely to say
>"No, I'm not interested in answering your questions, click" than
>a person who is open to the paranormal, due perhaps to having had
>a paranormal experience.  So this would tend to bias the results
>of such a poll towards positive answers, but by how much and how
>to avoid such bias are difficult questions to answer.

My guess is that the Roper people didn't tell any potential
respondents what the subject was in advance, so as to
specifically avoid the type of bias you hypothesize. That is,
after all, part of their job, as professionals.

<snip>

>> Just as we should be suspicious of anything you say, or am I
>> wrong in thinking that Billy Meier somehow turned up a long lost
>> manuscript, or was it merely translation, of one of the books of
>> the Bible? Perhaps you would care to elucidate?

<snip>

>The Aramaic manuscript wasn't long lost, merely secreted away in a tomb
>near Jerusalem for some 1900 years until Meier's ETs decided it was time
>for it to be discovered & translated, and for Meier to become its
>custodian and editor.

This is to laugh, Jim! How is it that you yourself *know* this
malarkey for a fact? Have you personally seen or examined the
vaunted 1900-yr old manuscript, for example? Do you have any
*proof* of its existence? No, you don't, but having entered into
the realm of faith, little matters like proof no longer interest
you.

<snip>

>It would seem to me that Dennis's feelings toward the Meier contactee
>case, which carry over to any who report positive findings on the case,
>may be due to the TJ document and its unacceptable implications for
>Christianity.

Gee, that's quite a presumption on your part, Jim.


>> .... Do you honestly think India is any more
>> monolithically Hinduistic than we are, say, Methodist?

>Yes, it turns out they are.  They're 82% Hindu (according to a Hindu I
>heard speak recently), then in declining percentages Sikh, Christian,
>Sufi, and last of all Buddhist, which surprised me.

>Jim Deardorff


This is a pedantic argument of your own. Maybe I should have said
Christian, as opposed to Methodist. Maybe the Hindu that you
heard speak recently passed along the information that Hinduism
itself isn't monolithic, any more than Christianity is, but
probably consists of countless sects.

Christianity has long had a tradition of encounters with
non-demonic entities, or haven't you heard of angels and the
Virgin Mary? Again, you've offered no logical reason whatever why
Americans would be more in need of abductions than any other
culture or population.

Dennis



Search for other documents from or mentioning: dstacy | deardorj

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp


Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com