UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jul > Jul 12

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 28

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:14:58 EDT
Fwd Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:20:48 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 28

Volume 3, Number 28
July 12, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     An unusual light phenomenon, which resembled
a giant letter Z, was seen on both sides of the Irish
Sea after 10:30 p.m. on Friday, July 10, 1998.
     According to the BBC report, "A large meteorite is
being blamed for hundreds of sightings along the west
coast of Britain Friday evening. Initially authorities
were baffled about the source of the lights, which looked
like the letter Z or the number 2."
     "Throughout Friday evening, police and coastguards
from Cornwall to Scotland were inundated with calls from
people who spotted the light, though most came from
people living around the Irish Sea."
     "Coastguards in Belfast said that they had received
dozens of 999 calls and admitted they had seen the
light in the sky...over the north coast of Ireland.  A
spokesman said the light had a large Z shape."
     "'It was very prominent and was due north of the
(Belfast) coastguard station.  We were able to watch it
from the window.  I can say that I've never seen anything
like this before.'"
     "'It was a larger shape than the moon but, as we were
unable to measure the distance, it was impossible to
judge its actual size.'"  (Editor's Note: It was a full moon
Friday night.)
     The Z-shaped light "appeared to be moving very slowly
westwards.  'When we first saw this object, it was not
completely dark (yet). It was higher than the clouds and
occasionally it was obscured by passing clouds.'"
     "Another report was received by Teesside Air Traffic
Control near Middlesbrough, who reported seeing an
object resembling the letter Q in the sky west of their
     "In a statement, the (UK) Department of Transport
said, 'The sightings were as far apart as Cornwall and
the Clyde (in Scotland), west of Belfast (Northern Ireland)
and east to Leeds.  RAF Fylingdales early warning
station reported no undue activity, as did Jodrell Bank.
We can only summarise it is space debris or a comet.'"
     On Saturday, July 11, "an airline pilot who landed at
East Midlands Airport" provided "an explanation."
     "The pilot reported seeing a large meteorite entering
the atmosphere as he was flying from the UK to France.
He claimed to have noticed it breaking up and leaving a
long trail in its wake, which was forced by winds into
shapes resembling the letters."  (Many thanks to John
Hayes for the BBC report.)
(Editor's Comment:  Excuse me, but luminous meteor
trails last between five and ten seconds--twenty seconds
tops.  They do not persist in the sky for over an hour.
Whatever this phenomenon was, it was no meteor.)


     On Thursday, June 25, 1998, at about 11 p.m.,
Scottish photographer Stuart Conway and his friend,
Wayne Wilson were on vacation in Montpezat, a
village on the Lac Sainte Croix in Provence, on
France's Mediterranean coast, when they spotted a
     "Myself and a friend, Wayne Wilson, were sitting
on the balcony of our hotel, chatting, and suddenly we
saw this triangular object fly silently by," Stuart reported.
"It seemed to be pretty close, and it had five or six dull
yellowish lights.  After a couple of seconds, it just
faded out."
     Conway used Photoshop software to reproduce
the UFO he had seen.  The image shows six yellow
lights on the underside of a boomerang shape, in an
arrangement reminiscent of the "Lubbock Lights"
seen in Texas in 1952.  There were three lights on
each "wing" of the UFO.  (Many thanks to Stuart
Conway for this report.)


     A UFO flap broke out in Australia's southern
island state of Tasmania during the last days
of May 1998.
     On May 17, two witnesses spotted "a bright
light to the east" in Lauderdale, Tasmania (Tas.)
It looked to have red, white and blue colours.  As
they watched it rose up to 15 to 30 degrees" above
the horizon at about 8:30 p.m.
     On May 18, in Tasmania's Black Hills, two
witnesses "watched for six seconds an oval light
in the northern sky."  Three times in succession,
the UFO flashed.  "It looks to have been a beam
pointing straight at the ground below."  As they
watched, the UFO "moved very quickly to the
northwest, then back to the north."  This sighting
also took place at 8:30 p.m.
     The evening of May 21, two people in different
locations in Kingston, Tas. saw a large bright UFO
"move away to the west or northwest."
     On May 28, at 8:07 p.m., two people "called to
report a bright light low to their southwest near Mount
Lloyd and Sandford.  'It looked to move back and forth,
then a number of lights were seen moving about it.'"
     That same evening, at 10 p.m., a witness in
Sandford, Tas. reported "a similar light in the southwest.
He says he saw two streaks of light in the sky, then
noticed the bright light which hovered at 15 to 20 degrees,
then faded out."
     On May 31, at 1:10 a.m., a witness in Collinsvale,
Tas., who had trouble getting to sleep, got up and
watched "lights flashing outside for every three or four
seconds."  The source was a triangular UFO "with
square areas of light" on the bottom, which hovered
"in front of Big Rocky Hill northwest of his home.  The
size of the object seemed to cover 100 meters (330 feet)
or more, as the lights flashed on and off for two minutes
before everything went black."
     The cases are being investigated by ufologists
Keith Roberts and Paul Jackson of the Tasmanian UFO
Investigation Centre.  (See Australian UFO Reports and
Experiences #5 for July 1998.  Many thanks to editor
Robert Frola for this news story.)


     Milton William Cooper, 55, author of the book
BEHOLD A PALE HORSE, and his wife, Annie
Mord-Horst, were indicted on tax charges in Arizona
     According to the Arizona Republic, "The U.S.
Attorney for Arizona, Jose de Jesus Rivera, said
federal agents will move carefully to arrest Cooper,
who faces a four-count indictment that he failed to
pay taxes from 1992 to 1994 and submitted false
information to a bank to obtain a loan."
     "'We are going to proceed with prudence and
caution and handle this matter in due course,' Rivera
said, declining to comment further."
     "Apache County sheriff Art Lee said he has asked
federal authorities to move cautiously against Cooper,
who lives in a hilltop home in Eagar," a town on Arizona
Highway 60 about 175 miles (280 kilometers) southeast
of Flagstaff.
     "After talking with Cooper," Sheriff Lee advised "federal
authorities that 'it could deteriorate into an incident.'"
     On Thursday, July 2, 1998, Cooper, whom the Arizona
Republic says "claims to belong to 'the Second Continental
Army of the Republic,'" a reputed militia group, posted a
message on his website.  The message reportedly read,
"WARNING!!  Any attempt by the federal government or
anyone else to execute an unconstitutional and unlawful
arrest could be met with armed resistance."
     "In Phoenix, Thomas Nixon of the U.S. Marshal's Office
said authorities wished to act cautiously as they enforce
the arrest warrant 'because no federal agency wants any
copies of Ruby Ridge and Waco.'  But, Nixon added,
'Obviously, at some point we'll effect the arrest.'"
     "One sympathizer, Glenn Jacobs, publisher of a small
valley newspaper, who spoke to Cooper earlier this week.
'He told me he is not going to submit to arrest by the
feds,' Jacobs said, 'He said if they're going to murder him,
they're going to have to do it in the house, that this is
where he has drawn his line in the sand, said that he's
not going to retreat from it.  I think he is expecting to be
murdered by the FBI.'"
     Cooper, whose book was published in 1991, was born
on May 6, 1943 in Oklahoma, son of Lt. Col. Milton V.
Cooper of the U.S. Air Force.  After graduating from high
school, he joined the Air Force for a four-year hitch and
then joined the U.S. Navy.
     In July 1966, Cooper was aboard the submarine
USS Tiru, which was on a routine patrol in the Pacific
Ocean near Hawaii, when he, officer of the deck Ensign
Ball and another crewman reportedly sighted a very large
saucer-shaped UFO.
     Cooper described the UFO as "a huge disk rise from
beneath the ocean, water streaming from the air around
it, tumble lazily on its axis...It was a metal machine, of
that there was no doubt whatsoever.  It was intelligently
controlled, of that I was equally sure.  It was a dull
color, kid of like pewter.  There were no lights.  There was
no glow.  I thought I had seen a row of what looked like
portholes, but could not be certain.  Radar reported
contact at the same bearing and gave us a range of
3 nautical miles...The giant saucer shape plunged out
of the clouds, tumbled, and pushing the water before
it, opened up a hole in the ocean and disappeared
from view."
     After being debriefed by the Office of Naval
Intelligence, Cooper was transferred to the gasoline
tanker USS Tombigbee.  From 1967 to 1969, he
served in Vietnam.
     Cooper was also involved in the Watergate
affair, which led to the resignation of President
Richard M. Nixon in August 1974.
     On August 3, 1974, five days before President
Nixon announced his resignation, and a couple of
days before the House of Representatives called
for impeachment hearings to begin, Cooper was
working as the SPECAT (Special Category) radio
operator at CINCPACFLT (Commander in Chief,
Pacific Fleet) headquarters in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
when he was asked to download a strange message
on the KL-47 code machine.
     The message read, "Upon receipt you are
instructed to no longer accept direct orders from
TOP HAT." (code name for President Nixon--J.T.)
     According to Cooper, another SPECAT operator
named Randall W. Terpstra received the same
message while decoding radio traffic at a Marine
amphibious brigade headquarters.  The source of
the message remains unknown.  (See the Arizona
Republic for July 3, 1998, "Militiaman taking on
authorities" by Jerry Kammer.  See also BEHOLD A
PALE HORSE by Milton William Cooper, Light
Technology Publishing, Sedona, Arizona, 1991,
pages 19 to 23 and 184 to 194.  Many thanks to
Errol Bruce-Knapp for forwarding the article.)


     On Wednesday, June 24, 1998, at about 3 a.m.,
Frank F.was delivering newspapers "in a rural area of
Oklahoma City.  All of a sudden, everything lit up like
daylight.  I stopped my car and looked out the window.
Almost directly overhead I saw a huge, white object
that appeared to be a meteorite entering the atmosphere."
     "It lasted only four to five seconds at the most.
It was just white with some sparkling at the front of it.
It seemed to be very low in the atmosphere because
of how long and wide the streak was."
     "I see meteorites and shooting stars at least two or
three times a week and have never in my life observed
one this huge or bright.  I will definitely remember it
the rest of my life.  It would be nice, though, to hear
from anyone else who may have seen it." (Email


     On Tuesday, July 7, 1998, at 8:42 p.m., a couple
in Ross Township, Pennsylvania, a suburb of
Pittsburgh, "were observing the beautiful sunset.
They were looking toward the western sky and noticed
a black object above the top of some clouds that
appeared to be stationary."
     Looking at the object through a pair of World War II
surplus U.S. Navy binoculars, the man said the UFO
"was very high up" and "looked like the fuselage of a
large aircraft but with no wings or rotor blades visible.
As they watched the object appeared to slowly rise
in altitude."
     "Through the binoculars, the object looked like a
helicopter fuselage, but again with no rotor blades or
any lights visible.  On top of the object, however, were
two long projections described by the witness as
looking like 'two big balloons' or 'like great lollipops.'"
     "As the witnesses watched over the next several
minutes, the object began turning from side to side...
While the object was making these front-to-rear turns,
the witness was able to see more of the long appendages
and the top and underneath."
     "After about six to ten minutes, the object seemed
to pick up speed, still moving north, and the object
was lost from sight behind the trees."  (Many thanks
to Pennsylvania ufologist Stan Gordon for this report.)


     On Tuesday, June 30, 1998, David A. Dunworth, his
wife and a friend were near Mounts Bay, in Penzance,
Cornwall, UK when they sighted an unusual object
in "the clear blue sky" at 9:10 a.m.
     "Myself, my wife and a friend of ours witnessed a
small circular white object trailing a jet.  The object was
about the size of an O on our keyboard and appeared
to be circling an aircraft on route to London or Europe,"
i.e. heading east.
     "The O-shaped object was bright white in colour
and moved in the same direction as the jet (easterly)
about one inch in an arc above the tail of the jet.  We
all watched as the object slowly circled the jet above
the fuselage.  The jet continued, probably unaware
of their companion circling above them.  As we
watched, the object began to fade in colour and
eventually disappeared all together, as if it had
somehow disintegrated."
     Penzance is located about 180 miles
(288 kilometers) southwest of London.  (Many
thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this news story.)


     Persistent reports of black helicopters over
Sedona, Arizona (population 7,720) have some
local residents combing the nearby red rock
canyons in search of a secret base.
     Justin A. Tribble of Citizens for UN Base
Disclosure (CUNBD) reported that Sedona, the
site of a recent UFO encounter, had been visited
by black helicopters several times since a flurry
of overflights back in April.
     On July 6, 1998, Justin reported on his website,
the group came into possession of a document
dated April 10, 1998 that refers to unusual military
operations in the Sedona area.
     In particular, the document mentions "operational
bases in Verde Valley," "Area 38 in Casper (sic)
Mountain," underground facilities near the towns of
Hope and Parker, and "Operation White Sword
Headquarters between Sterling and Sign (sic) Canyon."
     CUNBD pointed out the areas are known locally
as Casner Mountain and Bear Sign Canyon.
     The group was recently contacted by a Sedona
hairdresser named Diane, who wrote, "Do you know
where Sycamore Canyon is?  Going toward Cottonwood
on U.S. Highway 89A, turn right on Loy Butte Road
and go as far back as you can.  Once you reach the
base of the mountain, you have to find the first trail
that goes up and over the mountain.  From there, all
I know is that the 'base' is in that little valley."
     Diane told the group that a friend of hers, a 21-year-
old local man known as "Hot Shot," had made the
climb with some friends and some night vision equipment.
"When they went out there, it was late at night, and
there were black Humvees, and with their night vision
equipment they could see the opening into the old
volcano where they keep the black helicopters."
     Tribble commented, "We assume the area she's
referring to is Sycamore Pass...between Casner
Mountain and Black Mountain.  There is, in fact, a
'little valley' as she describes, beyond the pass that
leads into Sycamore Canyon."  (Many thanks to
Justin A. Tribble and CUNBD for this news story.)
(Editor's Comment:  Although this sounds like the
usual black helicopter hearsay, I found the reference
to an "Operation White Sword" intriguing.  Last
month's NATO amphibious training exercise near
Stephenville, Newfoundland, Canada had a
component called Gold Sword 4.  See The Western
Star of Newfoundland for June 17, 1998.  Also,
"Gold" and "Sword" were two of the beaches in
the 1944 D-Day invasion of Normandy.)


     The disappearance of EagleNet and its popular
cyber-newspaper, Kent Steadman's CyberSpace
Orbit, continues to generate controversy.
     In a letter to UFO Roundup, EagleNet webmaster
Todd Jumper described the sudden disappearance of
the website from the Internet.
     The EagleNet site, Todd reported, "is up and running
again.  I would like to share more information as to why
it was shut down and the possibility of foul play."
     "As soon as EagleNet was shut down, I contacted my
server administrator.  When I first contacted them, they
were not sure why EagleNet was shut down."  Then, he
added, the server explained that "it was pointing to the
wrong IA address and with the possibility that someone
had been tampering with the server."
     "Tech support told me that they would have EagleNet
running again in a few hours.  But instead these hours
turned to days and then to about two weeks.  I repeatedly
contacted them every day by phone and email several
times a day."
     "Every time they either would not respond or refused
to talk to me about the problem but confided that the
server had been shut down but would not explain to me
     On Sunday, July 5, 1998, Todd asked one of his
assistant webmasters to contact Saturn Services Tech
Support and pretend to be interested in a website.  The
assistant webmaster soon turned the conversation to
     According to Todd, Tech Support reportedly told
his assistant webmaster that "EagleNet had violated the
policies and web traffic" guidelines and that "this
account did not have unlimited traffic."
     "This is not true, and we never violated any policies,"
Todd wrote, "They also told him they were concerned
with Kent Steadman's CyberSpace Orbit and that it
was bringing in too much traffic, which they claimed
was 15 gigabytes, an amount which I find hard to
     Todd also asserted that NASA had asked "Kent
Steadman and myself to remove certain images before
and after the EngleNet server was shut down."
     "When EagleNet was reactivated the past week...
someone within EagleNet released a virus which went
through our mailing list and caused several of our
members' computers to crash."
     On Thursday, July 9, 1998, EagleNet was
restored, Todd added, and he alleged that "I have also
received new threats from someone claiming to work
for the CIA."  (Email Interview)


     UFO Roundup reader K. G. of Texas viewed
video clippings of the controversial images from the
Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), with
which NASA lost contact two weeks ago.
     The images were posted in Kent Steadman's
CyberSpace Orbit and on a website operated by
I Wonder Productions.
     K.G. described the UFO as "a spherical object
with a line through the middle...There are different
theories as to what it is--Saturn, a ball of (solar)
plasma, or an alien cruiser."
     "To the right of the sun is a spherical object
with a horizontal line running through it.  The entire
object moves from right to left (in the video--J.T.)
Before a solar flare erupts, a long vertical line appears
to the left of the object, almost as if a shielding
mechanism was engaged.  The shield-like object
appears to turn with the object and disappears when
the flare dies down."
     Sites where the "mystery object" video was
available include the following:
     (1) http://www.eagle-net.org/phikent/sun/
     (2) http://www.eagle-net.org/phikent/sun/
     A still image could be found at http://www.
(Email Interview)
(Editor's Comment:  How about that.  Another
Saturn-shaped object, just like the one seen
by amateur astronomer Chuck Shramek in
November 1996. (See UFO Roundup, Volume 1,
Number 38)  What is this!?  The return of the
Hale Mary?)  ...

from the UFO Files...


     "On the clear sunlit afternoon of July 12, 1947,
Earl 'Skip' Page, his wife, Beulah, and their nine-
year-old son, Ronald, were flying a two-seater
(private plane) from Las Vegas (Nevada) to Salt
Lake City" when they nearly collided with a squadron
of UFOs high above Utah Lake.
     "At roughly 3:30 p.m., a group of silver-colored,
disc-shaped objects zipped past the Pages' plane,
coming within 50 feet of the aircraft at the same
     Fifty-one years later, Beulah, now 82, and
Ronald, 60, vividly remember the encounter.
     "'At first we thought it was birds.  We just
saw the movement,' Beulah, a Salt Lake native
said in a telephone interview from her home in
Olympia, Wash.  'My husband turned the plane to
where they were going and they zoomed away like
crazy.  It got kind of scary when we turned toward
their direction.  They just disappeared.'"
     "The entire sighting lasted only a few minutes.
The Pages didn't notice markings, windows or
even how many objects were in the cluster.
Ronald thinks there might have been three."
     "'There was definitely something there,' said
Ronald, who was squeezed in between his parents
but had a good view of the sky.  'Those were the
days before we had jet airplanes or anything like
that.  I'd seen fighter aircraft in those days, but
they weren't anything like what we saw.'"
     Arriving in Salt Lake City, the Pages told their
story to relatives and friends.  But, fearing ridicule,
they declined to share it with the media.
     "'I remember it made them nauseous because
they didn't know what it was,' said Marilyn Page,
Beulah's niece, who lives in Wyoming.  'It was just
something completely new they'd never seen.  It
was kind of a shock."
     Earl Page was born in Bountiful, Utah in 1911.
In 1943, he moved his family from Salt Lake City
to Hanford, Washington to work as an electrical
engineer at the USA's then-secret plutonium
processing plant in Hanford, Washington state.
Page was maintenance supervisor at Hanford when
he died of a heart attack in 1960.
     Interestingly, the Hanford plant itself was
visited by two daylight disc UFOs in 1953.  (See
the Desert News of Salt Lake City for July 6, 1997,
"Family saw silver discs zipping through Utah's
skies" by Zack van Eyck.  Many thanks to Lou
this story.)

     Citizens for UN Base Disclosure have a website
at this URL--http://users.sedona.net/~redstone/
     Be sure to check out the news and features
available at our parent site, UFO INFO.  Drop in
anytime at http://ufoinfo.com
     Back issues of UFO Roundup can be accessed
and downloaded at our webpage.  Help yourself to
the archive at http://ufoinfo.com/roundup

     To our readers in France--Alain, Michel, Franck
and Thierry--enjoy the Bastille Day holiday on Tuesday.
Et, Michel, bonne chance en Montpezat.

     Join us next weekend for more saucer news from
"the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup.  See
you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, Inc.  Readers may post news items from
UFO Roundup on their websites or in newsgroups
provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor
by name and list the date of issue in which the item
first appeared.