UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jul > Jul 16

UFOs and Power Loss

From: Moderator UFO UpDates
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:00:57 -0400
Fwd Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:00:57 -0400
Subject: UFOs and Power Loss

File Name: BLKOUT65.TXT

 Key date: 01-15-96
 Keyed by: Errol Bruce-Knapp - UFO UpDates Toronto.

Excerpted from:

UFO Sightings, Landings and Abductions - The Documented Evidence
Yurko Bondarchuk

Published by: Methuen Publications, Toronto, 1979
ISBN 0-458-94160-3


From Chapter 9 - The E.M. Effect and Power Blackouts

(pages 130 - 137)

The Great Northeast Blackout
November 9, 1965

On November 9, 1995 the northeastern region of the United States and
Canada was abruptly plunged into blackness. The worst blackout on
record came to be known as the 'Big Blackout'.

The facts are well known. At 5:16 pm, at the height of the evening rush
hour, electrical power to one-sixth of the continent's population was
suddenly cut off, trapping millions of people on expressways, in
elevators and in office buildings. Altogether, thirty million people
in eight U.S. states and in the province of Ontario were affected by
the disruption (1)

In Ontario the blackout was confined to the eastern portion of the
province - from Timmins in the north, across to Cornwall in the east
and south toward Sarnia. Windsor, Ottawa and Sudbury were the only
eastern centres to escape the blackout.(2) Yet within three hours
power was restored to most parts of the province.

Mass media coverage naturally focussed on the human aspect of the
blackout and to a lesser extent, on the delay in determining the cause
of the breakdown.

There was, however, an even more dramatic story.

UFOs had been reported in the vicinity of strategic hydro
installations at the time of the blackout. The impressive number of
credible sightings led many researchers to consider the possible role
these craft may have played in the power collapse.

The researchers included the late Dr. James E. MacDonald,(3) a
physicist at the University of Arizona; former NICAP director Major
Donald E. Keyhoe; and astronomer Dr. J. Allen Hynek, the current
director of the Centre for UFO Studies.

Immediately following the breakdown, the U.S. Federal Power Commission
and the Ontario Hydro-Electric Power Commission launched a full-scale
investigation into the cause. At first, it was reported that the
trouble originated with a mechanical breakdown in a high voltage line
between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

According to the [Toronto] 'Globe and Mail':

     The report turned out to be false. Then a sub-station near
     Syracuse was reported to be the cause of the failure, but
     repairmen found it in perfect condition. (4)

Finallly, six days after the blackout, Ontario Hydro engineers traced
the trouble to the mammoth Sir Adam Beck No.2 Generating Station at
Queenston, Ontariom north of Niagra Falls.

It seems that just prior to the blackout, power was flowing from Sir
Adam Beck No.2. into Ontario, then across the border via Cornwall into
New York State. In graphic terms, power was flowing clockwise in a
loop around Lake Ontario.

At 5:16pm, a backup relay on one of the six lines linking Sir Adam
Beck tothe rest of the province mysteriously tripped the line's
circuit breaker, which acts much like a household fuse.

In quick succession the cut-off power jumped to the other five lines,
causing an overload that tripped the circuit breakers on these lines
as well.

A veritable tidal wave of electricity - 1.1 million kilowatts - flowed
in the opposite direction into New York State. (5) Inexplicably, the
relays on the New York lines failed to isolate and contain the
overload. Within seconds, the entire grid of thirty-one interconnected
power utilities of CANUSE (Canada-United States Eastern Grid) had
broken down.

Although experts could pinpoint the origin of the blackout, they were
baffled by the cause of the relay malfunction and the failure of the
protective systems to contain the overload.

In the words of Ontario Hydro's system supervising engineer, Jim
Harris: "It's incredible! I would have said this was impossible if I
hadn't seen the evidence." (6)

The mystery deepened when it was discovered that the relay had not in
fact malfunctioned, but had merely reacted to a sudden surge of power
from an unknown source.

As stated in the final report of the U.S. Federal Power Commission:
"The precise cause of the backup relay energization is now known." (7)
Where did the unexplained surge of power come from? To this day that
question has remained unanswered.

Or has it?

Although inconclusive, one answer might lie in the findings of the
late Dr. James McDonald who contended that the magnetic fields
accompanying UFOs can create sudden power surges in transmission lines
as the craft flies overhead.(8)  In theory, these power surges could
produce blackouts of massive proportions.

Since the 'Big Blackout', McDonald's theory has gained considerable
support in the light of strong evidence confirming widespread UFO
activity on that fateful evening.

The Syracuse Herald-Journal was inundated with calls reporting more
than one hundred sightings in the Syracuse area.

One of the first came from Syracuse Deputy Aviation Commissioner,
Robert C. Walsh, who was flying over Syracuse at the time of the
blackout.(9) Despite the darkness, he managed to land safely at
Hancock Airport.

Standing on the runway, with some airport officials he suddenly
noticed an enormous circular ball of light, drifting overhead. "It
appeared to be one hundred feet in the air and fifty feet in
diameter.(10) It rose for several seconds, then suddenly disappeared.
Moments later, a bewildered Walsh and his companions watched an
identical device ascending over the airfieldm before mysteriously
'blinking out', as did its predecessor. Unlike the known high-speed
plunges of fireballs, these craft moved upward at moderate speed -
clearly under some form of intelligent control.

At the same time, the mysterious craft were also being observed
overhead. Veteran flight instructor Weldon Ross and his student, James
Brooking, were approaching the darkened airport when they spotted a
second fiery object below.

The Giant craft, estimated at well over one hundred feet in diameter,
appeared to be positioned directly over the Clay sub-station, a
strategic installation that channels power from Niagara Falls to New
York City.(11)

It was the same sub-station where hydro investigating teams had
initially pinpointed the origin of the blackout.

In a relentless pursuit of a possible UFO-blackout relationship,
Herald-Journal reporters succeeded in uncovering even more explosive
evidence. In a front page story seven days after the blackout, the
paper carried photographs of the mysterious red craft taken by Mr.
William Stillwell, a sexton at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. He
described what he had observed through a 117-power telescope:

     The centre was rotating, around and around and around. It
     came from the direction of DeWitt and shot off at an angle
     and then went back the way it came. (12)

He had watched the glowing object for as long as two hours before it
streaked away.

While investigating teams continued to dig for the mysterious cause of
the power failure, press coverage of a possible UFO connection gained

In a strongly worded editorial, the Indianapolis Star urged:

     The answer is fairly obvious - unidentified flying objects!
     It is one angle the multi-pronged investigation should not

Support for the UFO possibility intensified as news of other sightings
became known. In New York City, twenty minutes into the blackout,
witnesses in the Time-Life Building spotted a peculiar glow in the sky
over darkened Manhattan. According to Major Donald Keyhoe:

     It appeared to come from a round object hovering over the
     city. This was tewenty minutes after the lights began to
     go out. Several photographs were taken by a Time Magazine
     photographer, one of which appeared in the November 19th
     issue. (14)

Although clearly visible in the photograph reproduced here, Time
editors failed to make any reference in their photo-caption to the
spindle-shaped craft. Journalistic oversight or deliberate omission?
The only hit of any unusual aerial activity came in a facetious
reference to a Soviet satellite:

     Some New Yorkers, claiming that they had seen a satellite
     pass over at the moment the lights failed, argued that the
     Russians had done it again. (15)

But UFO investigator and author, the late Frank Edwards disagrees with
both the UFO and the Soviet satellite explanations:

     The spindle-shaped thing could have been a UFO--but it
     certainly wasn't. It was nothing more than an optical
     ghost, the result of reflections between the elements
     of an air-spaced lens.(16)

While disputing the validityof the Time photo, Edwards strongly
supported the contention the UFOs were somehow involved in activating
the blackout. In fact, while conducting his own investigation into the
cause of the blackout he discovered that U.S. military authorities had
been well aware of the UFO presence, at least forty-five minutes prior
to the power failure.(17)

This startling disclosure came from two commercial pilots, Jerry
Whitaker and George Croninger, who were flying over Tidioute,
Pennsylvania, when they spotted two disc-shaped 'shiny objects'

Even more surprising was the sight of two military jets chasing the
mysterious craft.

Moments later, one of the discs put on a 'burst of speed' and quickly
outdistanced its pursuers. While watching the fast-disappearing UFO,
the dazed pilots lost sight of the other object, which had presumably
departed in the same manner.

The most spectacular UFO revelation, however, came one day prior to
the releae of the 'official' explanation when, speaking before a
nationwide televison audience, NBC commentator Frank McGee announced
that a private pilot had spotted a "round, glowing object near the
Niagra Falls power plant".(18)

Associated Press picked up the story and numerous newspapers
subsequently carried it. The following morning, a well-documented
article appeared in the New York Journal American blaming UFOs for the
disastrous power-grid breakdown.

Any further media focus on the UFO connection was brought to an abrupt
halt, however, with the release of the 'broken relay' explanation.

Despite mounting evidence, the Federal Power Commission had
predictably chosen to side-step the possible UFO connection. This
ommission was eventually confirmed by Dr. James E. McDonald who, as a
respected scientist, was allowed to interview certain FPC officials.

     They admitted they had the Syracuse and Niagara Falls
     reports, also most of the others on that night. But
     they wouldn't discuss the UFO possibility....No matter
     what they believed, I think they were convinced the
     facts shouldn't be given tothe public, and that's why
     they agreed to the 'broken relay' story. At any rate,

Under the circumstances there seems to be a strong possibility that
Canadian authorities were also involved in the cover-up. Ontario
Hydro-Electric Power Commission investigators, having become aware of
the UFO reports, collaborated with the FPC by exchanging information
that eventually led to the 'broken relay' explanation.(20)

Furthermore, this explanation had apparently been pre-arranged and was
released simultaneously in both countries.(21)

The Ontario Hydro press statement similarly neglected to include UFOs
as the possible cause for the blackout.

One reputable American ufologist went so far as to point an accusing
finger at the late Lester B. Pearson, then prime minister. Major
Donald Keyhoe contends that:

     To shift attention from the UFO explanation, the
     'broken relay' story was invented. Since this could
     be construed as blaming Canada, the Prime Minister
     must have been convinced it was best for both countries
     not to disclose the true situation.(22)

It that was the case, then it represents one of the most shocking
deceptions ever perpetrated - leaving the heads of thirty-one utility
companies and thirty million people to grope around in the dark in
more ways than one!


 (1) Time Magazine (November 19, 1965) Canadian Edition, p.24.

 (2) Ibid. p.23B.

 (3) John G. Fuller, 'Aliens in the Skies: The New UFO Battle of the
     Scientists' (New York: G.P. Putnam and Sons, 1969), p.85.

 (4) Toronto Globe and Mail, November 16, 1965.

 (5) Ibid.

 (6) Ontario Hydro, Hydroscope, Vol. 2. No. 40 (November 19, 1965)

 (7) James M. McCampbell, 'Ufology: New Insights from Science and
     Common Sense' (Belmont, Ca.: Jaymac Company, 1973), p. 57.

 (8) James E. McDonald, Statement prepared for the Hearings before A
     Committee of the U.S. Federal Power Commission.

 (9) Frank Edwards, 'Flying Saucers: Serious Business' (New York:
     Bantam Books, 1966), p. 147.

(10) Ibid.

(11) Donald E, Keyhoe, 'Aliens From Space' (Toronto: The New American
     Library of Canada Limited, 1973), p. 172.

(12) Frank Edwards, op. cit., p. 148.

(13) Donald E. Keyhoe, op., cit. p. 176.

(14) Ibid. p. 172.

(15) Time Magazine, op. cit., p. 28A.

(16) Frank Edwards, op. cit., p. 149.

(17) Ibid.

(18) Donald E. Keyhoe, op. cit., p. 177.

(19) Ibid., p. 182.

(20) Toronto Globe and Mail, op. cit.

(21) Ibid.

(22) Donald E. Keyhoe, op. cit., p. 180.