UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jul > Jul 24

Filer's Files #29

From: George A. Filer <Majorstar@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:53:12 EDT
Fwd Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 18:33:51 -0400
Subject: Filer's Files #29

Filer's Files #29-1998  MUFON Skywatch Investigations
George A. Filer,    MUFON Eastern Director,
July 23, 1998,  Majorstar@aol.com  609 654-0020


During this summer hot weather UFO reports have taken a nose
dive except in cooler areas. This may be due to a combination of
cloudy overcast conditions and unusually hot weather.

Dr. Carl Sagan, Professor of Astronomy and Space Sciences at
Cornell University wrote in The Encyclopedia Americana regarding
Unidentified Flying Objects in 1963:

"It now seems quite clear that Earth is not the only inhabited
planet. There is evidence that the bulk of the stars in the sky
have planetary systems.

Recent research concerning the origin of live on Earth suggests
that the physical and chemical processes leading to the origin
of life occur rapidly in the early history of the majority of
planets. The selective value of intelligence and technical
civilization is obvious, and it seems likely that a large number
of planets within our Milky Way galaxy-perhaps as many as a
million-are inhabited by technical civilizations in advance of
our own.

Interstellar space flight is far beyond our present technical
capabilities, but there seems to be no fundamental physical
objection to preclude, from our own vantage point, the
possibility of its development by other civilizations." Carl


Two persons who spent most of their lives in the service or
their country died last week. We wish God's speed to Alan
Shepard and Colonel Philip Corso.

Their newest journey has started. I thank you both for your
courage and willingness to do what your country asked.


From out of the past Betty Lynch called today to inform me that
she saw a formation of nine UFOs over Route 70 in Cherry Hill,
fifty-two years ago in the summer of 1946. This sighting is a
year before the famous Kenneth Arnold sighting. Betty stated:
"They were huge white discs about the size of a basketball
flying at high altitude." The UFOs were moving from north
Philadelphia heading toward the southeast. Betty had been a
member of the Ground Observer Corps (GOC) and had some expertise
in aircraft spotting. Betty was with her brother Lieutenant.
Anthony Michael Catana, who had been released from a Nazi prison
camp at the end of the war. Her brother was a bombardier in
W.W.II. His B-24 bomber squadron flew out of Foggia, Italy on
missions to the Ploiesti Oil Fields. He said, "Those white discs
are Foo Fighters. We frequently observed them during the war
flying in formation with our aircraft. One of these Foo Fighters
even flew through the belly of our aircraft." Later, his plane
was shot down and he bailed out over Lienz, Austria and was
imprisoned at Stalagwuf 1. After the UFO sighting, G-2
Intelligence came to their house and told him to be quiet about
their sightings. Thanks to Betty Lynch of Haddonfield, NJ.

On July 15, 1998, Anthony Dogherty reports he saw a UFO near the
Sayreville Clay Pits at 9:53 PM. He saw four lights in a diamond
formation blinking on and off simultaneously. The UFO moved left
and disappeared. It reappeared farther to the right, then moved
left and disappeared again. This occurred for over 15 to 20
minutes. Sayerville is some twenty miles southwest of New York
City. Phone number is 732-390-7760 at 44 Glynn Ct. Parlin, NJ
08859, E-mail: ortugg44@aol.com. Thanks to John Thompson and


Pearl River, Rockland County, NY. In December 1997, Frank J. saw
a craft fly slowly over his house at only 200 feet above the
treetops around 7:00 PM.

Frank states, "I have a pilots license, it was not a plane. I
have flown aboard helicopters many times in the military and
know, it was not a helicopter!  This craft hovered periodically
and cruised down the block and over my house slowly with no
sound. It was around the size and dimensions of a city bus, but
half the height. It had dazzling blue & white lights whirring
underneath. It proceeded past my house. I jumped into the car
and followed it down the block towards Townline Road about a 1/2
mile away from where I first saw it approaching my house. The
UFO stopped abruptly and vanished in a steak across the sky."
Thanks to NY MUFON’s Larry Clark.


On June 30, 1998, David A. Dunworth, his spouse and a friend were
near Mounts Bay, in Penzance, Cornwall, UK when they sighted an
unusual object in "the clear blue sky" at 9:10 a.m. "Myself, my
wife and a friend of ours witnessed a small circular white object
trailing a jet. The object was about the size of an O on our
keyboard and appeared to be circling an aircraft heading east to
London. "The O-shaped object was bright white in colour and
moved in the same direction as the jet (easterly) about one inch
in an arc above the tail of the jet. The object slowly circled
the jet above the fuselage. The jet continued, probably unaware
of their companion circling above them. As we watched, the
object began to fade and disappear as if it had somehow
disintegrated." Penzance is located about 180 miles (288
kilometers) southwest of London. Thanks to Steve Wilson Sr.


The phenomenon associated with the presence of a UFOs can be
accounted for within the following scientific parameters: The
craft emit Electromagnetic radiation measured isotropically that
is in all directions of approximately one megawatt, that is a
million watts.

The wave length is of one-tenth to one twenty-five millimeters at
sixty to eighty cycles per second. There appears to be an
undulation motion and high frequency oscillations of constant
amplitude. The Pulse width is ten to forty microseconds. The
pulse is a brief surge of voltage or pulsating. On top of the
craft is an exceptionally high magnetic field which is about a
million times more powerful than we know how to produce on the
Earth. There is also a slow ripple effect of about ten per
second. That ripple is what causes the spinning of compasses.
The UFOs may effect aircraft in various ways that cause
ionization of the air. An electric current may move from the UFO
to another object in the air. UFOs have strong radiation and
other unknown effects that may harm humans.

Abductees report feelings of weakness, scars, and other evidence
of abuse or contact with the UFOs. Because of these tremendously
power of the UFOs it is logical to assume that there may be
danger to the abductees. Abductees often claim they are flown to
high altitudes aboard the craft. There are medical indications
of mental strain and fatigue. Further there are indications
abductees have a lowered ability to fight illness. This may
infer that anemia or similar problems could possibly be traced to
the UFO abductions.

Therefore, regular complete and comprehensive blood tests may be
one of the best methods for determining the health of the
individual abductee. If you suspect you are an abductee, I
encourage you to obtain blood tests that can be ordered at a
relatively inexpensive cost by your physician. You may not wish
to tell your physician why you desire the tests, but fatigue,
lack of endurance, and low immunity may be indications of anemia
and other problems.

I encourage you to request a copy of the results and send them to
me and our physicians will attempt to analyze them. Unless we
receive funding for these tests, we request the abductee absorb
the cost on an individual basis. We have a medical doctors
willing to analyze the data and general results will be published
here. We are accepting donations for this work.

Regarding the high power of the UFOs, we have found that some
fairly simple instruments may be useful for tracking them. They
are know to cause disturbances to compass readings. Rather than
watching the compass continuously it is possible to get an alarm
from any compass that is setting still and starts deviating.
MUFON’s George Reynolds set up a system that recorded variations
in compass readings that helped predict earthquakes.
Scanning of the radio frequency spectrum can sometimes pick up
electrical disturbances caused by UFOs. This can be done with
rudimentary equipment such as radio receivers. Amateur radio
enthusiasts listen to a range of about 200 kHz through about 30
MHz. These would be the short wave listening hobbyists.
The ham radio operators would also have these, but could scan
additional bands of higher frequency. They could, if sufficient
interest were generated, build or modify equipment to scan
frequencies in the microwave region. All that would be required
at the onset is listening devices with some rough idea of the
frequency being tuned. Once the UFO frequencies operating in an
area were defined, then more "fine tuning" could be accomplished.
 UFOs radiate energy in the microwave region, so there is a good
chance that we may have some success in tracking their propulsion
systems. Many drivers own radar receivers for use against police
radars. Radar receivers often used by high speed drivers can
also be used to measure the microwave range energy that is sent
out by many UFOs.


Nikolay Subbotin reports that: "We now been told that the entire
Soviet armed forces, a total of 15 million people over ten years
(1979-1989), were involved in a UFO study that turned up forty
major incidents and hundreds of minor ones. This included one
that prompted fears of starting an accidental nuclear war. As a
result of the study hundreds of UFOs were recorded and many were
photographed. In some cases there were multiple witnesses.
Unfortunately, until late 80-s, the UFO subject was forbidden to
discuss in the Soviet Union.

Any talking about UFOs might get you into serious trouble. Local
residents have observed strange flying objects for a long time.
Those objects were shaped as spheres, black "boats," domes,
plates and so on. Also, there have been weird places, where
people felt like being observed or were afraid of presence of
something odd. When the ban of ufological information was
removed, the researchers attention was drawn to abnormal events
near Mobelka village. The results of the first expeditions
(Perm's Bachurin's group, Muhortov's group) were a sensation in
1989, when this information got out to the media. The Roswell
Incident was not the only UFO crash in History, there were many
more." Thanks to Vlad G. and Nikolay Subbotin,
dmitryg@mailcity.com. The movie The Secret KGB UFO Files with
Roger Moore, and myself is scheduled to be shown on TNT on
September 13.


Red Deer, Alberta. Cameron Smith on July 19, saw two wobbling
discs of a gray shiny color fly by slowly at the speed of an
aircraft at 9:40 PM. The craft were not luminous and were at low
altitude. Cameron requests any confirmation or explanation for
the sighting. Phone Number: 403-343-2985, Address: #8 Anquetel
Close, Red Deer, Alberta, T4R 1G7 CANADA


On Monday, July 13, 1998, at 11:00 p.m., an "unidentified craft"
flew over the small city of Gualda Tadino in northeastern Umbria
province, Italy. The UFO "circled the city at high velocity,"
and then hovered for about two minutes before flying away to the
north. The UFO "flew below the clouds" and had "a great
luminosity." Minutes later, the UFO flew over the nearby city of
Gubbio, in the Apennine Mountains. Witnesses described the UFO
as "resembling a glowing soccer ball" and said "it flew to the
north-northwest," and, after aerobatic maneuvers lasting about
five minutes, and left in a northerly direction. The phenomenon
was seen by four witnesses in one location, and seven other
people confirmed this sighting.  Gubbio and Gualda Tadino are
east of Perugia, located about 150 kilometers (90 miles) north of

(Grazie a Squadra Film Spaziale d'Italia per questo rapporto.)
Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Vol. 3, # 29 July 20, 1998 Editor: Joseph


An English professor has developed an electromagnetic theory on
what may be to blame for the crash of TWA Flight 800 - and she's
asking federal investigators to take her theory seriously.
Electromagnetic interference could be the culprit, Harvard
University professor Elain Scarry said Sunday. "In the TWA case,
the possibility of a meteorite was thoroughly studied and ruled
out. But we didn't look at the military questions of HIRF (High
Intensity Radiated Field), particularly what effect it has on
747s," Ms. Scarry told The Associated Press. National
Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) chairman James Hall says Ms.
Scarry's theory is already being investigated as part of his
agency's inquiry into the July 17, 1996, crash off Long Island.
All 230 people aboard died when the Boeing 747 jumbo jet
exploded in midair minutes after leaving John F. Kennedy Airport
for Paris. Investigators say the plane's central fuel tank
exploded, but have not been able to find an ignition source. Two
other theories a bomb or a missile -- were ruled out after an
extensive probe. An exchange of letters between Ms. Scarry and
Hall appears in the July 16 issue of the New York Review of
Books, a scholarly magazine which last April 9 published an
article by Ms. Scarry raising the question of whether
electromagnetic interference, or EMI, from an outside source --
possibly one of about 10 military ships or planes in the
vicinity -- had triggered the TWA disaster. She said that
studies had shown that both military and civilian aircraft had
been subjected to such effects, but that the theory had not been
seriously considered in this case. In a March 13 letter to Hall,
Ms. Scarry said NTSB findings had not ruled out "the possibility
that a High Intensity Radiated Field, or HIRF, played a part in
the crash of TWA 800," and suggested that instead of questioning
top-ranking officers, the agency should interview sailors and
airmen who actually were operating electronic gear at the time
and could best provide information needed for a minute-by-minute
reconstruction. In another letter June 17, Ms.Scarry insisted
that a TWA pilot's comments about a "crazy" fuel gauge and
difficulty "trimming," or stabilizing, the plane just before the
explosion could be anomalies hinting at an EMI event. She argued
that a 1994 NASA study -- the only one ever done on HIRF effects
on civilian aircraft -- dealt only with solitary planes, so the
effect on multiple aircraft was not known." Thanks to
Newsday.com July 13, 1998. Editors Note: A Swiss Air 747
reported a near miss from an elongated Plasma like object on
August 9, 1997, in the same area.


WASHINGTON  "Somebody came into our waters and shot down -- for
the first time ever -- a flag carrier of the United States," an
expert on the explosion of TWA Flight 800 said at a Washington
briefing yesterday. Commander Bill Donaldson, a retired Navy
pilot and accident investigator who has spent 15 months examining
the case, said that two missiles were fired in the vicinity of
the airplane, and that one of them exploded close enough to bring
the plane down. It's no wonder, he said, that investigators did
not find evidence of a direct missile hit; the missile was of a
type specifically designed to explode near (rather than in
contact with) its target. Flight 800, Donaldson said, "was
intentionally destroyed by a powerful, proximity fused,
airbursting, antiaircraft weapon launched from a position
approximately one nautical mile off shore and three nautical
miles east of Moriches Inlet, Long Island, New York." In
addition, the airplane was "engaged seconds later by a second
missile fired from a closer position to the south of [the
plane's] track." There were 230 passengers and crew on board the
Boeing 747 when it was destroyed, on the evening of July 17,
1996. The plane was bound for Paris and, at the time of the
explosion, was eight miles off Long Island.

Government officials have suggested that the plane was brought
down when a spark ignited fumes in a nearly empty fuel tank
causing it to explode, but they haven't been able to explain the
source for the spark. Donaldson based his claims on an analysis
of physical evidence and eyewitness accounts in a 109-page report
(available at http://members.aol.com/fl800/). Those appearing at
the briefing to support Donaldson's theory included a helicopter
pilot who saw the explosion, a man who saw it from the ground,
and a now-retired TWA captain who had served as flight engineer
on the same plane just a few hours before, on its flight from
Athens. Donaldson believes that a missile detonated on the
plane's left side, about 20 feet from the hull and "probably
slightly low," sending a shock wave that blew open the skin on
the left wing.

The airplane then moved violently to the right and rolled almost
onto its back in an instant, some "144 degrees in one-second."
The stress created by the missile explosion caused the plane
itself to explode in bright flash followed by a dull red-orange
fireball that fell to the water amid a cloud of black smoke. In
preparing his report, Donaldson analyzed the composition and
distribution of debris from the plane, interviewed witnesses who
claimed to have seen a missile streaking toward the plane (and
turning as if homing in on the plane's radio signals), and
examined all the official documents released in the case. He
said that he is apparently "the only trained accident
investigator" who has interviewed most of the witnesses; the FBI
allegedly blocked NTSB investigators from conducting their own
interviews. Among the eyewitnesses who saw what appeared to be a
missile attack, Donaldson said, was an FBI agent. "He said he
had seen a plane shot down."

Admiral Thomas Moorer, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, attended the briefing in support of Donaldson. "This
certainly appears to be an act of terrorism," Moorer said. He
called the Donaldson report "very excellent" and said Congress
should conduct its own investigation of the explosion. Vernon
Grose, a physicist and former member of the NTSB, attended the
briefing as an observer. He said he was interviewed on CNN for
six hours the night of the disaster and has been interviewed on
the subject some 170 times. "I've spent two years defending the
NTSB," he said, only to find that the facts don't seem to line up
with the official story. He told WorldNetDaily that he felt
"betrayed" by the NTSB. The Donaldson briefing "disturbed" him,
and he believes that government officials may have come to a
conclusion first, then tried to make the facts fit their theory.
"There ought to be an open, public hearing" to address the points
made by Donaldson and others.  Grose said he's not a fan of
conspiracy theories, and he believes there might be a reasonable
explanation for the government's behavior in this case. "But if
the truth contradicts what has been said, let it be heard," he
said. At the briefing, Captain Al Mundo, flight engineer on the
same plane on its previous flight, said he finds the official
theory "highly improbable." After the earlier flight, he had
performed a procedure that cleared the center fuel tank. "I
question whether vapors were even in the tank," he said, due to
physical processes that should have cleared any vapors that were
present. The helicopter pilot eyewitness -- Fred Meyer, a lawyer
and Vietnam veteran Naval aviator -- said at the briefing that,
"Based on two combat tours, it is my firm belief to this day that
it was military ordnance." The government theory, he said, is "a
government excuse for something -- totally mystifying.
I know what I saw."

Richard Goss, a businessman who saw what appeared to be a
missile, said that at first he thought it was part of a fireworks
display. "Someone else at the Yacht Club [from which he saw the
incident] even said, 'Look at the fireworks!,' and we waited for
the display." His reaction to the government's version as seen in
a CIA-produced computer simulation: "Personally, it was a joke to
me. It was an insult. It was so different from what I saw."
Donaldson's report is full of tantalizing details. On the day of
the explosion, a Beirut newspaper received a fax, apparently from
an Islamic terrorist group, stating that "Tomorrow morning we
will strike the Americans in a way they do not expect and it will
be very surprising to them." The Flight 800 disaster occurred at
8:31 p.m. EDT -- which, on the Arabian Peninsula, was the next
morning. On November 17, 1995, eight months before the Flight
800 disaster, two aircraft off Long Island reported seeing a
bright, fast-moving object trailing smoke and not registering on
FAA radar.

The object passed within 2,000 to 3,000 feet of the two aircraft.
Radar detected an object, apparently a surface vessel, only 2.9
nautical miles from Flight 800 when it exploded. It was
traveling at 30 knots and "avoided the visual range of all other
surface contacts" until it got out of range of Islip radar.
"This is a normal military tactic," Donaldson noted, not the
action of someone who had just witnessed a plane crash.
Donaldson reported that some of the strongest evidence for a
missile explosion -- the drastic change in apparent altitude,
speed, and other factors noted by the flight data recorder (FDR)
at 8:31:13 p.m. -- appeared to have been removed from the
official version of the FDR's readout. Thanks to:

Send your reports and letters to George A. Filer at