UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jul > Jul 26

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 30

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:58:59 EDT
Fwd Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:49:31 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 30

Volume 3, Number 30
July 26, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     On Monday, July 20, 1998, four cows were found
mutilated on a ranch near St. Johns, Arizona
(population 3294), a town on Highway 191 about
135 miles (216 kilometers) east of Flagstaff.
     According to Mary C. of Concho, Ariz., all four
cows were carrying calves at the time.  "The blood
was gone (from the cattle) and the eyes were gone,"
she reported, "Also about 30 feet away from them
were the unborn calves."
     The tongues of the four cows and the unborn
calves were removed by the mutilators.  The loss
was estimated at $10,000.  According to Mary, the
Arizona Cattleman's Association plans to
investigate the incident.
     According to Terry W. Colvin, there have been
other mutilations recently in eastern Arizona.
"Something is killing and mutilating cattle, horses
and other animals in the southeastern Arizona
counties of Cochise, Pima and Santa Cruz."
     "Robert Marsett, a cowhand with the Sands ranch,
told of a recent kill and mutilation," Colvin reported.
"The carcass appeared where only live cattle were seen
the day before, but the dead cow smelled as though
dead for several days.  Marsett says coyotes and
vultures did not approach the carcass.  Nearby cows
failed to nuzzle the carcass, as usually happens.
Some blood was drained, organs were removed, and
some samples were taken in the genital/rectal area."
(Many thanks to AGETI and Steve Wilson Sr. for these
news stories.)


     On Wednesday, July 15, 1998, at 10 p.m., Karl J.
and three friends spotted "a very large UFO over the
general area of Schnebly Hill" in Sedona, Arizona
(population 7,720), a town on Highway 89A about
24 miles (38 kilometers) south of Flagstaff.
     Karl described the UFO as "several times larger
than a passenger airliner such as the Concorde" and
as "a dark-colored equilateral triangle with a bright
white light on each corner and a larger light source,
a glaring orange-red light in the middle.  It came from
the general direction of Flagstaff (north) and then
changed direction.  It made very little, if any, sound.
The entire sighting lasted five to ten minutes, ending
when it flew out of visual range."
     Another witness, Michelle, reported, "The triangular-
shaped object was moving across the sky faster than
conventional aircraft.  But because of the excessive
size of the craft, it created the impression that it was
moving in a slow, steady rate.  It was a dark or amber
brown in color and giving the impression of an
effervescent gilded glow" which "helped to define its
triangular shape.  It came from a northerly direction
and abruptly veered off in an eastern direction."
     "If I held up a watermelon at arm's length in front of
me, it would not have obscured the triangular shape
from view," she reported, adding that the object was
"perhaps bigger than a flying football field."  (Many
thanks to Peter Gersten of Citizens Against UFO
Secrecy, CAUS, for forwarding these reports.)


     On Wednesday, July 22, 1998, at 10 p.m.,
Pamela S. and her husband were relaxing on the
deck of their home in Matunuck, Rhode Island
(population 550) when they spotted a V-shaped
UFO passing overhead.
     "It was a warm evening, and I was laying down
on my deck," Pamela reported, "Suddenly, I saw
this huge V-shaped object coming from the south
heading north.  It appeared to glide across the sky,
and I could not hear any engine-type noise."
     Matunuck is a village on Rhode Island's
southern Atlantic Ocean shore, located on Potter
Road just off U.S. Route 1, about 40 miles
(64 kilometers) south of Providence, the state
     As the UFO came in over the ocean and
flew north over Washington County (better known
to Rhode Islanders as "South County"--J.T.), she
added, "I would say it was silent.  It appeared to
have several box-shaped areas that sort of glowed.
I wouldn't call it a light."
     "Unfortunately, my husband was resting and
did not have his eyeglasses on, but he too saw the
V-shaped object but could not see any details."
(Many thanks for Peter Gersten of CAUS for
forwarding this report.)
(Editor's Comment:  Now the UFOs are really
close to home.  Your editor lives about 20 miles
north of Matunuck.)


     On Thursday, July 16, 1998, in mid-afternoon,
James D. was at his home in Corvallis, Oregon
(population 44,959) when he spotted a gleam
in the sky.
     "I was in our front yard in Corvallis, Oregon,
admiring the blueness of the sky," James reported,
when he "looked up and watched a plane go by,
north to south, at a high elevation angle above the
western horizon.  While still facing west with my
head turned up, I suddenly saw this whitish thing
speed by from nearly overhead, traveling toward
the west in a perfectly straight line until it disappeared
in the distance at about 20 degrees elevation.  But it
was only visible for about two seconds, or maybe only
1.5 seconds, so fast was it going."
     "It seemed to be at a considerable height, like 500
to 1,000 feet," he added, "It was sort of a 'misty' white
object with no shaded underside and no highlights
reflecting the sunlight."
     Corvallis is at the intersection of Oregon Highways
99E and 24 approximately 81 miles (129 kilometers)
south of Portland.  (Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr.
for forwarding this report.)


     On Thursday, July 22, 1998, at 1:35 a.m., four
brightly luminous UFOs hovered over a suburban
neighborhood near Lake Boulevard in Redding,
California (population 66,462).  The objects
were seen by a woman and her two grandchildren.
     According to Bonnie R., her mother, E.R., her
12-year-old niece N. H., and her six-year-old
nephew Devon R. watched the UFO display for
over 45 minutes and even telephoned her while it
was going on.
     The incident began when Devon "was awakened
by the extremely bright light coming through the
bedroom (window), and he woke his sister up.  They
couldn't see any bodies (fuselage) because of the
intensity of the light, but they seemed to be the size
of a golf ball held out at arm's length.  They seemed
to be white.  It started at 1:35 a.m. and went on until
well past 2 a.m."
     "The UFOs were in close proximity to the house,"
she added, "probably less than a tenth of a mile
(0.2 kilometers) away.  It started with four bright lights
which were rising up and then sort of bobbing in the
air side-to-side maneuvers, then they 'exploded' and
more lights and smaller sparks flew around them."
     "My nephew was screaming because he had never
seen such a thing, but my mom, of course, was
terrified that they had come to abduct her again.
And Devon got on the phone and" described what
they were seeing, and "he did tell a pretty good
     Redding is on Highway 299 approximately 212
miles (339 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco.
(Email Interview)


     On Tuesday, July 14, 1998, at 12:31 a.m., Jack
L. Curtis was driving on California Highway 58
near Mojave (population 3,673) when he spotted
a mysterious bluish-green fireball cleaving the
desert's night sky.
     "I was traveling eastbound on Highway 58
about 75 miles east of Bakersfield.  I was about
ten miles (16 kilometers) east of Mojave when I
noticed another fireball," Jack reported.
     "This one was blue/green in color and unlike
the others (Jack reported last month--J.T.) had a
short orange-yellow flickering tail.  Visibility
estimated at four seconds start-to-end.  The
highway at this location runs directly eastward,
and the fireball was at about 40 degrees above
the horizon at start and end on the highway.
The azimuth was approximately 70 degrees,
according to the marine compass mounted on
my dash (dashboard).  It was in a very steep
descent, appearing to be flying straight toward
the ground.  The size was about the size of a
fist, and the tail was about two feet in length
and was really flickering and changing (color)
between orange and yellow."
     This was Jack's fourth fireball sighting since
April.  Mojave is located about 80 miles
(128 kilometers) north of Los Angeles.  (Email


     On Friday, July 17, 1998, at 11:10 p.m., a
woman in Pinckney, Michigan (population 1,603)
"noticed a 'white light' flashing just outside her
kitchen window.  She found this odd because the
kitchen window faces a large open field, not the
road, and that 'it does get pitch black out there.'"
     Moving closer to the window, the witness
"looked outside and noticed 'a bright red light,
I mean, bright' which just appeared in the southeast
flying slowly in a northwesterly direction.  It stopped
above the tree line outside her kitchen window. She
described it as 'a softball-sized, round, bright red
light...like a big tomato' with no defined edges.
The light hovered in this position for approximately
ten to fifteen minutes."
     Deciding not to go outside for a closer look,
the woman watched as the UFO moved slowly
westward" before vanishing from view.
     Pinckney is on Michigan Highway 36 about
52 miles (84 kilometers) west of Detroit.  (Many
thanks to Alex Cavallari for this report.)
     The following night, Saturday, July 18, 1998,
at 10:50 p.m., a couple in Marlette, Michigan
(population 1,924) spotted a UFO.
     According to Jeffrey S. Westover of Michigan
MUFON, the couple--Lee, 54, and Norman, 52--
were "stargazing from their backyard patio" and
saw "a bright golden-yellow star-like object moving
from the northwest, near the Big Dipper, to the
southeast.  'It flew at least as twice as fast as a
(commercial) jet and traveled in a perfectly straight
line,' said Norm, 'There was no sound.'"
     "Five minutes later, a second star-like object
followed exactly the same path, originating from
the northwest, passing through the Big Dipper and
traveling to the southeast.  Both objects were
comparable in brightness to 2.5 magnitude stars."
     At approximately 11:15 p.m., Lee and Norm
witnessed "'a single white light, moving at typical
jet speed' and as bright as a third magnitude star.
The bright light was steady, not pulsing, as it moved
through Ursa Major.  With the witnesses facing
north, and the object moving away at approximately
70 degrees altitude, it suddenly flared.  The flare
expanded the light to about ten times its original
     "'We both exclaimed, WOW! at the same time,'
Norm said. The flare lasted for about a second before
the light returned to its original size.  A few seconds
later, it flared again.  At this point, the light disappeared
to the north."  (Many thanks to Jeffrey S. Westover of
Michigan MUFON for this report.)


     On Sunday, July 19, 1998, at 9:40 p.m., Cameron
Smith was in his hometown of Red Deer, Alberta,
Canada (population 58,134) when he "saw two
wobbly discs of a silver gray colour fly by slowly
at the speed of an aircraft."
     Smith wants to know if anyone else in Alberta
had a sighting that night.  Witnesses can write to
him at #8 Arquetel Close, Red Deer, Alberta
74R 1G7, Canada.
     Red Deer is 84 miles (134 kilometers) south of
Edmonton, the provincial capital.  (See Filer's Files
#29 for 1998.  Many thanks to George A. Filer,
Eastern Director of MUFON, for this news story.)


     On Saturday, July 18, 1998, at midnight,
Stephen T. was on Wellington Road in Bilston, a
suburb of Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK,
when he sighted a triangular UFO.
     "It appeared to be silver in colour and was
traveling eastward," Stephen reported, "There were
no apparent lights that I could see.  The object
appeared to be only 1,000 feet up.  It was traveling
fairly fast.  The object had rounded aerodynamic
corners.  It was about 80 degrees above the horizon.
It was a fairly clear night with little cloud in place.
I had the object in view for about five to ten seconds,
after which time it reached the horizon and disappeared
into a cloud in the distance."  (Email Interview)


     On Sunday, July 12, 1998, at 7:10 p.m., a man
driving on motorway A505 in Royston, Hertfordshire,
UK suddenly spotted a squadron of "eight to ten
UFOs" hovering over a field.
     "The witness was driving at the time of viewing the
objects and had first viewed them from the A10
Royston roundabout (rotary in the USA).  The objects
were interacting with each other" and remained in one
single portion of the sky.  "Their movement seemed
unflowing (quirky) and electrical.  The objects were
hovering just above the peak of the hill.  The sighting
lasted approximately two minutes.  As it was still
early evening and pretty light out, the objects were
reflecting the fading sunlight...a silver or white colour
coming off the objects."
     On Sunday, July 19, 1998, at 3:30 a.m., two
witnesses in the Vauxhall section of central London
"noticed two golden-orange luminous objects"
crossing the sky.  "The objects came from the south
and were heading east."  The UFOs moved in close
tandem, "almost as a single object," and remained in
view for one minute, 45 seconds before disappearing
behind some nearby buildings.  (Many thanks to
Roy Hale of ELUFON and Errol Bruce-Knapp for
these news stories.)


     Black helicopters were sighted last week in
Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and
North Carolina.
     On Saturday, July 18, 1998, "an all-black
helicopter with no markings" was seen by motorists
just north of Madison (population 191,262), the
state capital of Wisconsin.
     Also on Saturday, July 18, at 12:30 a.m., "three
helicopters flew west to east over XPI's headquarters.
'The helicopters flew so low they knocked the power
off the VCRs,' said Scott Leeper, who was inside
the building" in Rockwell, North Carolina (population
1,598), a small town on Highway 52 about 130 miles
(208 kilometers) southwest of Raleigh.
     XPI is a ufological investigation group closely
affiliated with American UFO Newsletter.  AUFON
editor Stefan Duncan was not in the building at the
time of the overflight.
     On Sunday, July 19, 1998, the solo black
helicopter was seen again, this time south of Madison,
Wis.  Eyewitnesses said the pilot "flew a grid pattern
over the area."  The helicopter "remained in sighr for
approximately ten minutes."
     On Monday, July 20, 1998, at 5:39 p.m., a single
black AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter was spotted flying
west above Interstate Highway 76 about two miles
south of King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (population
18406), a suburb of Philadelphia.
     Also on Monday, July 20, at about 2 p.m., a
motorist on Interstate Highway 94, just west of
Ann Arbor, Michigan, reported sighting "a black
helicopter with no markings at all, just a few
numbers on the tail (boom)."
     At least one Michigan helicopter was identified
as belonging to the Michigan Air National Guard.
While flying over the Thornapple River near Hastings,
Michigan (population 6,549), the crew was searching
for hidden marijuana fields when they spotted a man
on the ground "shaking his fist" at them and "acting
in a suspicious manner."
     When the man climbed into a truck and drove
away, the ANG helicopter notified authorities and
gave them a description of the vehicle.  Police
arrested the man, Mark Koernke, 41, also known
as "Mark from Michigan," a militia spokesman
and co-host of the radio talk show Intelligence Report.
Koernke had been wanted by Michigan authorities
for weeks on charges of assault and failure to appear
in court.
     According to radio co-host John Stadtmiller,
Koernke and another woman, Annie Dawson, were
being held at the Washtenaw County Jail near Ann
Arbor pending an upcoming court appearance.
     Hastings is on Michigan Highway 37 about
38 miles (61 kilometers) southwest of Lansing,
the state capital.
     On Tuesday, July 21, 1998, a private pilot
waiting to take off from Midway Airport, at the
intersection of 55th Street and Cicero Road in
Chicago, Illinois saw "three black helicopters
parked out at the far end of the runway."
     On Thursday, July 23, 1998, AUFON editor
Stefan Duncan reported seeing "a small black
unmarked helicopter fly fast and low over the
trees about 100 yards" from the XPI building
in Rockwell, North Carolina.
(See American UFO Newsletter #13 for 1998,
the Grand Rapids, Michigan Free Press and
the Battle Creek, Michigan Enquirer for July 22,
1998.  Many thanks to all the readers who
contributed reports to this story.)
(Editor's Note:  Mark Koernke's videotapes
America In Peril 1 and 2 were among the
items confiscated from the Heaven's Gate
group's cache in Encino, California in
late March 1997.  See UFO Roundup, Volume 2,
Number 13.)

from the UFO Files...


     "On Thursday, 30th July 1970, a Mr. Phillips was
standing on a lookout above Laura Cascades which
overlooks the Jamison Valley" of New South Wales
"when directly ahead of him, a strange object of brilliant
falmaing silver colour suddenly appeared from behind
Mount Solitary.  The time was 5:30 p.m. and the sky
was clear.  Mr. Phillips judged the object to be about
10 kilometres (6 miles) away across the valley, and four
or five degrees east of due south and about the same
angle above the horizon."
     "The object was quite large, as big as a large
aircraft, and emitted no noise.  It was shaped like a
sphere, the top being joined to a cylinder and the
conical section between them appearing to follow an
exponential curve.  After remaining motionless for
half a minute after its appearance, the mysterious
craft suddenly moved off at a terrific speed, soaring
upward into the sky and disappearing from sight."
Nexus Publishing, Mapleton, Qnld., Australia, 1995,
page 25)

     Twenty-five years ago, on July 26, 1973, astronauts
Allan L. Bean, Owen K. Garriott and Jack R. Lousma
blasted off from Cape Canaveral for a rendezvous with
the orbiting Skylab.  Their 59-day mission was the
USA's first serious attempt at a long-duration space

     And we'll be back next weekend with more saucer
news from around the planet, brought to you by
"the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup."  See
you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
items from UFO Roundup on their websites and in
newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter
and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.