UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jun > Jun 1

Examination of Roswell Photos Clears Air Force

From: JBONJO@aol.com [James Bond Johnson]
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 00:38:19 EDT
Fwd Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 09:53:29 -0400
Subject: Examination of Roswell Photos Clears Air Force

This Press Release from Orange County MUFON has been released
today to the wire services.  I have been contacted by numerous
media requesting radio, TV and press interviews and for me to be
photographed with the new super enlargements which show the
various "writings" and anomalous materials in the old Roswell UFO
photos.  I have resisted all such interviews since I do not claim
to be an "expert" and have not posed for any photos.  I have been
urged to write "my story" and have done so briefly.  I am sending
it to you as background for use in any coverage that you might
want to give to this breaking story.  Ron Regehr, who is so much
more qualified to discuss the technical aspects of these new
developments, has kindly volunteered to handle media requests for
interviews.  Thank you.

James Bond Johnson

Subj:	 press release
Date:	5/31/98 2:28:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:	regehrrs@exo.com (Ron Regehr)
To:	jbonjo@aol.com


31 MAY 1998

(714)  536-7335


Two "old warriors" through the application of modern technology
techniques have uncovered new details in half-century old
photographs that vindicate a former fellow retired officer
long-accused of hiding evidence of a crashed UFO. 

George Filer (Maj. USAF, Ret.), an officer of the Air Force
Association of New Jersey, recently became aware that the late
Lt. Gen. Roger M.
Ramey=92s widow who resides in Denton, Texas, continues to suffer
from long- standing hoax allegations against her late husband. 

For 20 years, many have accused General Ramey of single-handedly
deceiving fellow officers, the press, and the American public,
when he allegedly took action to swap the real Roswell crash
wreckage with a carefully destroyed weather balloon decoy.

Proponents have argued that Gen. Ramey put the weather balloon
debris on display in his office on July 8, 1947, and even posed
for photographs with the "decoy" while the "real" crashed flying
saucer was on an aircraft bound either for Wright Field, Ohio, or
Washington, DC=97depending upon the story. 

Filer then contacted James Bond Johnson (Col. USA, Ret.), the man
who actually photographed the debris more than 50 years ago. 
Bond (as he prefers to be called) related from his home in Long
Beach, CA, how he not only photographed the debris, but that he
unwrapped the burned "junk" as he called it, arranged it, and
posed the subjects, Gen. Ramey, Col. Dubose, and Maj. Marcel, in
GEN Ramey=92s office, HQ 8th AF, Fort Worth, TX.

Details revealed in Bond=92s photographs are the heart of recent
revelations that absolve Gen. Ramey of any wrongdoing.  A recent
USAF report does not match the detailed examination of the
digitally enlarged photographs which reveal I-beams, foil, a pile
of burnt material, a "plastic" strip, and strange markings=97all
characteristics detailed by the only other living witness of the
debris, Dr. Jesse Marcel, Jr., son of the late Maj. Jesse Marcel,
Sr., the former intelligence officer at Roswell Army Air Field.

"This dramatic revelation of bas-relief markings on one of the
=91beams=92 exonerates GEN Ramey, whose widow and children have
suffered the indignities of defending the honor of their late
husband and father long enough", Bond states.

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:31:46 -0700
From: Ron Regehr <regehrrs@exo.com>
To: jbonjo@aol.com
Subject: press release

Reflections on the Roswell UFO Crash --
"The Story of the Century"

By James Bond Johnson

I am sitting here staring in utter amazement at what well may be
the very first pictures available of 3-D symbols and "writings"
by extraterrestrial beings.

With the aid of a digital super-enlargement of sections of a
photograph I took of pieces of the Roswell UFO crash in the
office of General Roger M.
Ramey, 8th Air Force Commander, more than a half century ago --
late in the afternoon of July 8, 1947, to be exact -- heretofore
concealed details of the wreckage seriously question terrestrial

This digital enlargement was provided by Ronald S. Regehr,
associate director, MUFON of Orange County, longtime UFO serious
investigator and researcher and a space and satellite engineer. 
He had made the digital enlargement using latest technology
directly from new enlargements obtained from the original
negatives of the photos, now housed in the Special Collections
Section of the Main Library at the University of Texas at

Nothing has prepared me to begin to try to read these strange
symbols that are displayed prominently all along some of the
beams in my photos of General Ramey, his chief of staff, Colonel
Thomas J. Dubose, and an intelligence officer, Major Jesse
Marcel, Sr. -- all photographed examining pieces of the wreckage
of the officially announced flying saucer "captured" near
Roswell, New Mexico.

It is most impressive that aided by this advanced digital
technology we finally have the capacity to enlarge details of the
wreckage to see clearly what is indeed some kind of "writings"
that do not appear to be any known writings by any earth
residents.  What is even more impressive is that the symbols are
displayed in bas-relief and certainly do not appear to be any
kind of known printing.

And as has been pointed out, the new enlargements also seem to
identify several kinds of anomalous materials which were not even
available on earth in 1947.

But, then I reach a sobering thought: did I in fact miss out on
the most dramatic and sensational story of my early career as a
newspaper reporter?
Could the pressure of the moment to get quickly posed pictures of
the debris taken, processed and distributed to a waiting world
have caused me to not fully examine the pieces of anomalous
debris that I held in my hand?  Did I overlook that here, indeed,
was conclusive evidence of an extraterrestrial spacecraft that
had arrived on earth from somewhere beyond the stars.

The Roswell Incident often has been dubbed "the story of the
century!"  And these new dramatic revelations certainly have
raised many more questions than they have answered.

The sudden announcement a short time after the photo session by
General Ramey -- upon orders from his bosses in Washington, DC --
that this debris was but a "weather balloon and radar target"
certainly makes good sense.

And the fact that no other member of the media or public ever has
been permitted to examine or even view the debris also is
understandable.  It undoubtedly was only through a fluke that I
got to see, arrange and photograph the wreckage -- and pose the
military brass while examining it.

It was sheer luck that as military reporter for the Fort Worth
Star-Telegram, then the South's largest newspaper, and a veteran
of the Army Air Corps in World War II, I was available and in
close proximity to Fort Worth Army Air Base on the afternoon of
July 8, 1947.

For weeks the whole world had been watching for flying saucers as
reports of sightings were being received daily from many parts of
the country.  And now, finally, the Air Corps announced that it
had "captured" one of the objects and was flying it to Fort Worth
for personal examination by General Ramey.

I was given the wire service "flash" announcement of this rapidly
developing story by my city editor and I headed for the air

Upon arrival at Ramey's office, I learned that the general was
out but expected to return momentarily.  The debris, transported
from Roswell in a series of "meat wrapper" paper covered
packages, had been deposited on the carpet in the general's
office.  Just one package was opened partially.  Some packages,
still sealed, were scattered around the office.

While Colonel Dubose went out to look for the general, I was left
alone in the general's rather spacious office.  This gave me an
opportunity to further unpack and to "pose" some of the pieces of
wreckage.  I well recall how frustrated I was at the burned and
smelly debris and how little opportunity this would permit for a
good news photograph.     
When the General entered the room I handed him the "flash"
announcement printed from the news wires.  He read it with
interest.  I then took a couple of shots him, still wearing his
hat in his office, examining the debris with the "flash"
announcement held in his hand.  Then I asked his chief of staff,
Colonel Dubose, to join him for a couple of more poses.  I was
desperate to get that "good shot" that every photographer dreams
of but could think of no very dramatic way to portray a crashed
"flying saucer."  I remember wondering if my single peanut flash
would even show sufficient detail in shooting the darkened
material.  But there was no time to set up a "slave" flash, which
would have enhanced the lighting.

While shooting the general I asked him what all this material
was. He shrugged and answered something like: "Damned if I know."
 But there was no effort by anyone to avoid posing with the

Then I grabbed a couple of shots of Major Marcel, who had
gathered up the UFO wreckage pieces at the crash site near
Roswell and then had first brought them to his commanding officer
at the Roswell air base and then on direct orders of the general
couriered them on to Fort Worth.

I was off to the Star-Telegram to develop and print the shots. 
But before time permitted transmitting the photos by wirephoto to
the waiting world, General Ramey went on the radio to announce
that the earlier official announcement was in error and that this
was only a "weather balloon and target device."
It is suddenly no longer a mystery why Ramey would have issued
the so-called "cover up" announcement soon after I left his
office.  If at the time of the photo shoot it already had been
determined that this was for certain a "far out" craft, the
general would dared not have tried to pass off such a ruse since
I could well have noticed the strange "writings" and anomalous
materials and confronted him with them.

So, only after my departure and after the debris was now safely
hidden from all the world could such an announcement have been
made with safety.

With a half century of speculation and folklore preceding this
stunning revelation, I now believe that I was just lucky.  I was
ahead of the story.
The general and his staff simply had not had sufficient time to
examine and evaluate the wreckage.  As Dubose later told a
reporter, at that time "we just didn't know what we had."

Perhaps these most unlikely events that permitted a 21-year-old
news reporter to take a few pictures with his brand-new Speed
Graphic camera in 1947 may finally help to unlock the secrets of
the Roswell UFO mystery.

New super enlargements will be available for viewing at the Main
Library of the University of Texas at Arlington beginning this



[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com