UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jun > Jun 14

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 24

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:47:29 EDT
Fwd Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:48:58 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 24

Volume 3, Number 24
June 14, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     A spherical blue UFO was seen by hundreds of
Britons Friday night, June 12, 1998, as it flew over
the UK from Cornwall to Staffordshire.
     According to the Daily Mirror, "Fire in the sky
triggered a big UFO scare early yesterday.  Hundreds
of sky watchers bombarded (authorities) with calls
about a flaming blue ball hurtling towards Earth.
Pilots alerted control towers about the fiery object.
Eight police forces launched probes.  Experts said
last night that a shower of meteors caused the
drama."  (See the Daily Mirror of London for June 13,
1998, "UFO alert as fireball flashes across sky.")
     The mass sighting followed nights of intense
UFO activity in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk.
     On Tuesday, June 1, 1998, "a Cambridge resident
was...at a bonfire at about 11:30 p.m. when he noticed
some lights in the sky.  There was a white light with a
red light separated by some distance.  The witness
reports that they seemed to be moving together and at
a high altitude and speed, and that after 15 seconds,
the white light rapidly faded."
     "His judgement is that what he witnessed was a
single object, and that it was also large (because of the
separation of the lights) and too high to be a helicopter."
     According to researcher Dave Piggott, "a check of
possible objects responsible shows that both the
shuttle (Discovery) and Mir would both have been
passing overhead between 11:05 and 11:20 p.m.  They
would not, however, have looked like a single object
since they had different trajectories."
     The sighting was confirmed by Dave Roberts, who
lives in Brandon, 40 miles (64 kilometers) northeast of
Cambridge.  Roberts reported, "At around 11:30 last
Tuesday night (June 1), I was sitting out in the back
of my house, having a night cap with some friends,
when I pointed out a point of light coming from the
direction of Cambridge.  It was moving too fast to be an
aircraft, too bright to be a satellite.  One of my friends is
an old colleague from my days in the RAF, and we
started talking about when we were over on exercises
in Germany, how we used to watch satellites go over
at night...My wife went indoors to get the binoculars.
I managed to get (focus) them on the source but could
not make out any discerning features."
     ""At the rate it was traveling, and assuming it would
keep its present course, it should have passed over
North Walsham (in Norfolk) around 4 to 5 minutes later
and south of Mundesley on the north Norfolk coast 20 to
30 seconds after that."
     The object "traveled in a straight line through
approximately 50 degrees arc of light," he added, and
"after a few moments swapping tales, we all reached
the same conclusion--it must be Mir...its speed remained
constant throughout, and there was no sound."
     North Walsham and Mundesley are about 110 miles
(176 kilometers) northeast of London.  (Many thanks to
Dave Piggott, Dave Roberts and Errol Bruce-Knapp for
the Cambridge reports.)


     On Tuesday, June 8, 1998, a crop circle appeared
on Hvar Otok, a large island in the Adriatic Sea just
off the shore of Croatia.  The formation was found beside
an olive grove on a farm in Poljica, near Jelsa.
     The "ellipse" was found in a hillside field of grass
by Marko Huljic, owner of the olive grove.  "Based on the
opinion of the discoverer Marko Huljic, that kind of trail
couldn't have been made by a car, or an agricultural
     "On the relatively straight meadow with the
overgrown grass, two continuous ellipses in the range
of 40 centimeters (20 inches) are there.  The ground
with the bent grass is one meter (3.3 feet) in diameter.
The length of the external ellipse is 4.8 meters, and the
width is 3.6 meters."
     "The trail of this unexplained phenomenon has been
confirmed also by Ivo Zupanovic, Vladimir Huljic, Nikola
Zenchic and others."  Meanwhile, "fantastic stories"
about the crop circle "are circulating around Poljica."
     Hvar island is 256 kilometers (160 miles) south of
Zagreb.  It's also 112 kilometers (70 miles) southeast
of Sibenik, Croatia, the site of a reported UFO landing
back in January 1998.  (See the Croatian newspaper
Free Dalmatia for June 9, 1998, "UFO at olive field
near Jelsa?"  Many thanks to Mirko Crnchevic for
forwarding the newspaper article.)


     A second UFO has been reported in Gmunden,
a small city on the Traunsee (lake) in Austria.  The
witness this time was Christian K.'s 15-year-old
brother, Thomas.
     On Saturday, June 6, 1998, Thomas and another
youth were outdoors at the base of the Grinberg, a
mountain on the outskirts of Gmunden.  "The whole
thing was gleaming," Thomas reported, "It could have
been a light spot but the rest of the object was just a
     The sighting took place "at about 11 p.m.  The
object was headed southwards.  Then it departed to
the east.  It was about as big as a small-range plane
--like a Boeing 767 or smaller--flying about 6,000 feet high."
     The UFO took off "straight up" and the boys
"followed it until it reached an estimated altitude of
100,000 feet, when we lost sight of it."  (Email Interview)


     On Monday, May 31, 1998, at 10:15 p.m., Jay and
Vangie A. were sitting in their backyard at Somerset
Bridge, Bermuda, when "skywatching, we watched,
straight up, between the last two stars of the Big
Dipper's handle, a small, dull, orangeish-coloured light
similar to a satellite.  It was traveling due south at a
speed slightly faster than a satellite or an airplane.
Then, suddenly, it flashed like a huge strobe light
and became the size of a dime held at arm's length."
     "It was an extremely bright flash, much brighter than
any of the stars, though it faded out.  The UFO continued
to flash intermittently four or five times before it
disappeared over the southern horizon.  The strobe
effect did not seem to have a regular rhythym to it.
This sighting--our first!--lasted about four to five
seconds in total.  It was no airplane because about
five minutes later an aircraft passed over Bermuda
going west, with its typical flashing red and white
lights." (Email Interview)
(Editor's Note: Five seconds to the horizon works
out to an estimated speed of 2,880 miles per hour.)


     On Sunday, June 7, 1998, at 9:55 p.m., Patricia B.
and her 8-year-old stepson "saw a strange object
coming out of the southern sky (from Georgia--J.T.)
traveling east at a rapid rate of speed."
     From their hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee
(population 152,466), they observed that "the object
headed for the handle of the Big Dipper and it appeared
to brighten significantly and then dim out and disappear."
     "I waited and approximately three to five minutes
later, two or more objects appeared," Patricia reported.
"Again from the south traveling at great speed, and
appeared to slow down, then speed up several times
before reaching the same destination as the first
object--handle of the Big Dipper.  They both slowed down,
glowed very intensively for a few seconds and then
faded out and disappeared.  I watched for another hour
to see if more objects appeared but no success."
     Chattanooga is in southern Tennessee on Interstate
Highways I-24 and I-75 approximately 128 miles
(205 kilometers) south of Nashville, the state capital.
(Editor's Comment: Interesting, no?  Two cases of
brightening UFOs headed for the handle of the Big
Dipper, also known as Ursa Major.  The two stars
at the end of the "handle" are Alkaid (magnitude
1.86) located 110 light-years from Earth, and Mizar
(magnitude 2.09), which is 88 light-years from Earth.
Could there be a cloaked mothership parked in
geosynchronous orbit up there?)


     Since May 12, 1998, the Association Quebecois
de'Ufologie (Quebec Ufology Association) has received
"many reports of UFO sightings along the St. Lawrence
River," according to Gilles Millot and Patrick Tremblay
of the AQU.
    UFO sightings were reported from Three Rivers, Que.
(population 48,419), located 150 kilometers (90 miles)
east of Montreal, to the city of Chateauguay (population
41,423), located 10 kilometers (6 miles) southwest
of Montreal.
     According to Milot, "In one case, in the city of
Berthierville (population 4,300), 60 kilometers (36 miles)
east of Montreal, the witness took one picture of a
triangular formation of lights."  (Merci beaucoup a
Gilles Milot de AQU pour ces nouvelles.)
     On Tuesday, June 9, 1998, at 9:45 p.m., just south
of Montreal, Marie G. "saw two bright discs or broad
spheres--about four times the size of a star--flying between
10,000 and 50,000 feet (3,030 to 15,152 meters) and at
least twice as fast as a satellite."
     The luminous discs flew from east to west.  "One was
longer than the other.  They took about five minutes or
less" to cross the sky.  "The glow was always the same,
which precludes the reflection argument.  The first disc
was caught by the second, which proceeded steadily
until out of sight."  Merci beacoup a Mike Broussard
pour ces nouvelles.)
     On Saturday night, May 30, 1998, Kayla and other
witnesses spotted "a sleek black helicopter" hovering
over Lac St. Louis, west of Montreal, "It was about 20
feet above the water.  It was also an unmarked
     According to Kayla, "For the last three weeks,
there have been many black helicopters seen in and
around the west end of the island" in the St. Lawrence
River where Montreal is located.  "The night helicopters
are usually seen between 1 and 4 in the morning,"
flying around the Montreal suburbs of Hampstead,
St. Laurent and Lachine.  (Email Interview)


     On Friday, May 29, 1998, Sally Svenningson
spotted a large, low-flying V-shaped UFO over her
home on River Road in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.
     "I was sitting in my living room at 10:30 p.m.
and saw bright lights flashing across the sky,"
Sally reported.  "I ran outside, and a V-shaped object
with bright lights flew by our house and up the lake.
My car lights and the outside spotlight went on and
stayed on.  I have had sightings before but never at
such a low altitude or with the lights being turned on."
     Bancroft (population 2,383) is at the intersection
of Provincial Highways 62 and 28 about 130 miles
(238 kilometers) west of Ottawa.  (See Filer's Files #23
for 1998.  Many thanks to George A. Filer, Eastern
director of MUFON, for this news story.)


     On Thursday, May 28, 1998, at 7:30 p.m., Hugo
Starri, 55, an accountant, was at his home at Buff
Point, New South Wales, near Newcastle, when he
spotted three UFOs.
     "Mr. Starri used binoculars for a major part of the
observation, and he was able to give a very accurate
description of what he saw.  The object was described
as three deep orange-coloured balls of light approximately
the size and luminescence of 'the Morning Star'"
     "One of the objects took approximately 10 minutes to
traverse the visible arc of the sky, and it seems as if
the other balls were 'playing with it.'  They seemed to
approach at a very fast pace.  One of them traversed
one-quarter of the visible sky in approximately 1.5
seconds.  The two balls of light traveled in several
different directions in variance to the direction traveled
by the more steady light.  The general direction of travel
was from north to south."
     Starri estimated that the UFOs were "six or more
times as large as a passenger airliner."  He added that
he "has never seen anything of this type before and is
not particularly interested in phenomena of this type."
     Newcastle, N.S.W. is on Australia's Central Coast
170 kilometers (102 miles) north of Sydney.  (Many
thanks to Barry Davidson and John Thompson of ISUR
for this report.)


     On Sunday, June 7, 1998, at 8:58 p.m., Jack L.
Curtis was driving east on Interstate Highway I-10,
heading home to Arizona, when he spotted
something strange in the sky just outside Indio,
California (population 36,793).
     "I noticed a bright blue-green meteorite traveling
eastward," Jack reported.  "It was extremely brilliant,
traveling rapidly but slower than a real meteorite.  As
it approached the eastern horizon, it appeared to
burn out as it turned orange, then yellow, then
disappeared from sight.  The night was clear with dust
limiting visibility slightly, and the moon was really
full and bright."
     "The object was in a straight line.  I was driving
directly east, and it was slightly to the left and dead
ahead, so would have been about 080 (degrees) from
from first view to disappearance.  First view was also
45 degrees of (up from) the horizon...As I was traveling
at freeway speed, it was impossible to hear anything
but the engine...I estimate that it was about six to eight
seconds from first view to disappearance."
     Indio is at the intersection of I-10 and California
Highway 86 approximately 115 miles (184 kilometers)
east of Los Angeles.  (Email Interview)


     On the heels of last week's UFO sighting in Elk City,
Oklahoma (population 10,428) comes a new report
of an unidentified flying object.
     Skywatch vice president Jim Hickman reported
that he "was providing security for a Mediflight
helicopter" due to arrive at the hospital in Elk City
when he spied the UFO.
     "I had a few minutes to skywatch, so I checked out
the sky.  At about 10:40 p.m. (on Tuesday, June 9) I
observed a small but not very bright object that
appeared to be very high.  Its angle from the ground
was about 70 degrees.  It was moving west at a very
fast speed.  It then turned extremely bright, brighter
than the landing light of the helicopter that had just
     "The object was white, star size, much brighter
than the full moon that was in the southeastern sky.
It appeared to be several orders of magnitude brighter
than any other stars visible.  It then moved 120
degrees to the southwest...It was a very sharp
course change."
     "It continued with the bright light thing during the
turn, then two to three seconds after the turn, it
'turned off' the light.  You could still see the lights
burning on the object.  It then faded to black with
nothing else seen afterward."
     "Last week I wanted to have seen my wife's
sighting," he added, "Well, last night I saw it, and
I'll never wish for a thing like that again."  (Many
thanks to Jim Hickman for sending us his report.)


     On Wednesday, June 10, 1998, at 10:20 p.m., a
witness "first observed a bright red light with a yellow
color around the outside edge, moving from the
northwest to the southeast" over Bethel Park,
Pennsylvania (population33,823), a city six miles
(10 kilometers) south of Pittsburgh.
     "A few minutes later, it (the UFO) was followed
by an identical light that went in the same direction.
Then, seconds later, a third similar light followed
the same path, then disappeared in seconds just
like the other two."
     "About five minutes later, a fourth similar light
went from west to east, then disappeared in seconds."
     "And then was followed by a fifth light, which also
went from west to east and disappeared also in
seconds.  The strange thing about this observation,
to the witness, was that all five lights seemed to
disappear in the same direction of the sky."  (Many
thanks to Stan Gordon for this report.  Stan's UFO
Hotline can be reached at (724) 838-7768.)

ROUNDUP CORRIGENDA: Barry Taylor, founder of
Australian UFO Researchers Network, writes, "I am
trying to fix up the information that was posted on
UFO Roundup" last week (Vol.3, #23) "re the sighting
reports supplied to you by Robert Frola."  Barry
invites all Roundup readers to read the original New
South Wales sighting report at this website--go to
http://ufoinfo.com/news/aus1998_3.html  UFO
Roundup apologizes for any embarassment that
may have been caused by the headline.
     Also in last week's issue, Patricia B. of
Chattanooga, Tenn. and her 8-year-old stepson
were the eyewitnesses to the sighting.  UFO Roundup
apologizes for the misidentification.

from the UFO Files...


     A very strange UFO incident took place in Alencon,
a city in France's department of Sarthe, about 160
kilometers (100 miles) southwest of Paris on June 12,
1790, at about 5 a.m.
     When word reached the Committee of Public
Safety, they sent an agent of their secret police named
Liabeuf to investigate.
     "The witnesses, a group of French peasants, told
him that an enmormous globe had appeared that
morning, moving with a rocking motion, and that it
crashed into the top of a hill, uprooting the vegetation.
Heat from the object started grass fires, and the
peasants rushed to put them out before they spread.
The huge globe was warm to the touch."
    "'The eyewitnesses of this event were two mayors,
a physician, and three other local authorities who
confirm my report,' Liabeuf writes, 'Not to mention
the dozens of peasants who were present.'"
     "As the crowd gathered around the mysterious
object, 'a sort of door opened, and there came out a
person, just like us, but dressed in a strange manner,
in clothes adhering completely to the body, and
seeing the crowd of people, this person murmured
something incomprehensible and ran into the wood.'"
     "The peasants backed away from the object
fearfully, and a few moments later, it exploded
silently and nothing was left but a fine powder.  A
search for the mysterious man was launched,
'but he seemed to have dissolved in thin air,'"
by John A. Keel, Manor Books, New York, NY,
1970, page 66.)
(Editor's Comment:  The UFOnaut policy on forced
landings seems to be similar to downed pilots in
our era.  Destroy the aircraft, avoid contact with
the indigenous population and wait for rescue.
However, I guess old Willermoz, the Illuminatus of
Lyon, had to change his satin knee breeches
after reading that report.)

     Today is the birthday of Charles-Augustin de
Coulomb, one of the fathers of modern physics.
He was born at Angouleme in France on June 14,
1736 and spent many years in the Caribbean as
a military engineer for the French Army.  In the
late 1780s, he discovered what we now call
Coulomb's Law, that the force between two
electrical charges is proportional to the product
of the charges and inversely proportional to the
square of the distance between them.  The
Coulombic force is one of the principal forces
involved in nuclear reactions.  He died in Paris
on August 22, 1806.

     If anything, this was the week of "UFOs that
brighten intermittently as they cross the sky."
What's next?  Find out next Sunday from "the
paper that goes home--UFO ROUNDUP."
See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
items from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites or in
newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter
and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com