UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jun > Jun 23

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 25

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:32:15 EDT
Fwd Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:12:41 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 25

Volume 3, Number 25
June 21, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     On Monday, June 15, 1998, at 12:45 p.m., a
Tornado F3 jet fighter from 29 Squadron, Royal Air
Force (RAF) vanished from radar while flying at
10,000 feet (9,090) meters over the North Sea.
     The Tornado took off from RAF Coningsby in
Lincolnshire with two other F3s from 29 squadron
for a "routine training mission" over the North Sea.
     The Tornado's crew included Squadron Leader
William Michael Vivian, 33, of Cheshire and Flight
Lieutenant Derek Stuart Lacey, 33, of Altringham,
Cheshire, UK.  Both airmen had wives and young
children, according to reports aired on BBC-1's
Look North TV program.
     When it disappeared from the radar screens,
the Tornado was at 10,000 feet about 100 miles
(160 kilometers) east of Flamborough Head, near
Bridlington, East Yorkshire, which is 160 miles
(256 kilometers) north of London.
     According to the BBC, "After a seven-hour
air and sea search, the wreckage of the F3 Tornado
fighter was found 20 miles (32 kilometers) off the
east Yorkshire coast."
     The search was carried out by two RAF Sez
King helicopters and lifeboats of the Humber
     During the 6:30 p.m. news broadcast on Look
North, commentator Vicky Johnston reportedly
"stated that the RAF had told personnel not to speak
to the media, and that the mood at RAF Coningsby
was somber and subdued."
     Another BBC-1 reporter "interviewed Scottish
aircraft expert Jim Ferguson, who said that the fact
that the Tornado plunged two miles to the sea without
having time to radio for help, only serves to 'deepen
the mystery.'"
     The weather over the North Sea that morning
was described as "atrocious," according to the BBC.
At last report, one airman's body had been recovered
from the ocean, but the other remained missing.  (See
the BBC website for June 15, 1998, "Crew Killed in
RAF Crash."  Many thanks to Paul Hunter for sending
us this news story.)


     The blue UFO that flew over the UK the night of
Thursday, June 11, 1998, was seen by many in
Staffordshire, including policemen.
     According to the BBC, "Many people rang the police
to report a flying saucer, while others feared that they
had seen a burning aeroplane.  Sergeant John Drake of
Staffordshire police said, 'We had more than a dozen
calls from people who had seen a single blue light...
Many officers from police cars also radioed in, saying
they had seen the same thing.  We had calls from
Keele in the north of the county to Tamworth in the
     The blue UFO, attributed by officialdom to "three
meteors," was also seen along motorway M4 near
Reading in Berkshire.  (See the BBC website for
June 12, 1998.)


     After last week's UFO sighting in Indio, California,
Jack L. Curtis had another strange encounter--this time
in his hometown of Quartzite, Arizona.
     "I was walking east on Main Street in Quartzite
(population 1,876) and watched a very intense white
light," Curtis reported, who described it as "about the
size of a round star but incredibly bright.  There was
no aircraft visibly or audibly" present "before or
immediately after the sighting.  It (the UFO) was about
50 degrees elevation and descended to about 25 to 30
degrees before it disappeared.  The object was in the
east-southeastern sky, estimated azimuth was 110
degrees.  During the seconds of its jagged descent
path, it changed destination four times.  It was first
descending vertical, then jigged to the north, then
the south, back to the north, then the south before
disappearing.  No sound was heard at all."
     "Later, at about 8:50 p.m., as I was returning to
my residence, I saw an orange-colored star that looked
unusual and out of place.  It was just to the north of
where the intense white light had descended.  It
appeared to stay in the same location for about ten
minutes.  It was close to 90 degrees azimuth.  For
about two minutes it disappeared,  Then, as I was
near my residence, I noticed it again but it was
moving rapidly.  It was flying west about 280 degrees
(heading--J.T.), and I quickly grabbed my binoculars.
There was a steady red light on one end, a steady
orange on the other, and a blinking red in the middle.
It continued on the same flight pattern until out of
sight at 9:15 p.m."  (Email Interview)


     On Thursday, June 11, 1998, at 9:45 p.m.,
Karen L. of Broomfield, Colorado saw "a strange
green light in the sky.  It was stationary for quite some
time and then zipped back and forth in a zigzagging
path.  It was so unbelievably fast that the green light
would leave a trailing path."
     "There was a slight storm that night.  After the
light was done moving, it went to a stationary position
and just being in the sky," she added.  "Under the
clouds of the storm came a great white light, then
two other green-and-pink lights emerged and started
moving towards the original green light.  All three
lights started going into this zigzagging dance.  One
even went from a stationary position and shot straight
up and out of sight, leaving a (luminous) trail behind."
     "The strangest of all was that it shot straight back
down and also stopped in a stationary point again.
This went on for approximately 15 minutes.  Suddenly,
all three shot straight up into the sky and disappeared
in less than a second."
     Karen reported her sighting to the Jefferson County
Sheriff's Department.  Broomfield (population 24,638)
is on Colorado Highway 11 approximately 11 miles
(18 kilometers) north of Denver.  (Many thanks to Tim
Hagemeister of NACOMM for this report.)


     On Sunday, June 14, 1998, at 10 p.m., Susan G.
was working at the computer at her home in Des
Plaines, Illinois (population 53,223) when she
noticed a strange object beyond her window.
     "The UFO was moving from south to north,"
Susan reported, "I was facing east when I saw it.
Between 30 to 50 degrees above the horizon."
     She described the UFO as a discoidal object
with "multi-colored flashing/blinking lights around
its edges," flying "near Des Plaines River Road and
Route 294, about four seconds before it passed
behind a building.  It seemed to be round and flat,
like a pancake with a dome in the middle.  I was
alone (at the time), shutting down my computer."
     Des Plaines is a suburb of Chicago, located
21 miles (34 kilometers) northwest of the Loop.
(Email Interview)


     On Sunday, June 17, 1998, two 12-year-old
boys spotted a UFO in their hometown of LaGrange,
Georgia (population 25,597), a city approximately
64 miles (102 kilometers) southwest of Atlanta.
     The boys said the UFO "resembled a white light
that had a red circle around it, moving to the north"
at around 10 p.m.  "The non-blinking light 'dropped,'
according to one boy, after 15 seconds.  The sky
was clear.  Its apparent size was smaller than Venus
but as big as 'the brightest star'...The light did not
blink and was flying in their estimation much higher
than a commercial airliner."
     The UFO "was moving in a generally straight
path from the south, with the moon to the east and
a bright star west of it."  After it moved out of sight,
the boys ran indoors and told their families. (Many
thanks to John C. Thompson for this report.)


     On Monday, June 14, 1998, at about 8:15 p.m.,
Steven J. Neely, director of Ohio Skywatch
International, his son Doug and a friend, Kyle,
were at the Marion Fish and Game Club in
Marion, Ohio when they spotted "an object in
the sky, very shiny...as it came over low on
the horizon."
     Neely estimated that the UFO was flying
at an altitude of 3,000 to 5,000 feet.
     "By then, Kyle, using his rifle scope (3 by 9),
looked at the object...The object was cigar-shaped,
very shiny (metallic), almost a mirror finish, and we
estimated the size at 65 feet to 80 feet (20 to 25
meters) in length.  We watched it traveling north
for about five minutes.  It then made a 90-degree
turn to the east and moved away at a high rate
of speed."
     Marion (population 34,075) is located on Ohio
Routes 4 and 309 about 40 miles (64 kilometers)
north of Columbus, the state capital.  (Many
thanks to Steven J. Neely for this report.)


     On Sunday, June 14, 1998, at 8:34 p.m.,
ufologist D.M. of Leander, Texas, also known as
"Pappie" and his son were on a skywatch out
in the nearby Hill Country when they had an
unusual encounter.
     "We parked on a country road about two miles
(4 kilometers) west of Leander, Texas," D.M. reported,
"We were on a hill and could see other hills and
valleys around us.  The sky was clear."
     They "saw two lights in the sky.  Both traveled at
a steady speed.  One went southwest and was seen
to traverse the entire sky.  The other was traveling in
a southern direction and was viewed for a good
     Then they "witnessed a third light," and "the first
two seemed to cross each other.  All (were) too low
to be satellites."
     In a valley to the west of their position, he added,
"the area was suddenly lit up from the ground for about
five seconds with a blue-colored light.  The lit area
(illuminated area) covered about a football field."
     Then they heard a strange sound coming from
one of the wooded valleys below their hilltop position.
"Then a scream was heard from the woods to the
southwest.  In about four seconds, it was heard from
the southeast.  No human could have traveled that
distance in that amount of time."
     Neither witness could recognize the sound as
the scream of a known animal.  Their investigation
     Leander (population 3,398) is on Highway 1431
about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northwest of Austin,
the state capital.  (See Filer's Files #24 for 1998.
Many thanks to George A. Filer, Eastern Director
of MUFON, for this report.)
(Editor's Comment:  A similar blue flash was seen
at a UFO site near Grays Harbor, Washington
in 1997.)


     On Thursday, May 28, 1998, ufologist and ham
radio enthusiast Alex Cavallari snapped another
color photograph of a UFO flying over the New York
City borough of Brooklyn.
     Cavallari, who lives near Neptune Avenue in
Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay section, shot the photo
using a Minolta Freedom Zoom 90C camera with
Kodak ASA400 color film.
     "The jet aircraft in the picture had just taken
off from (John F.) Kennedy (International) Airport
and was climbing and turning to the southeast,"
Cavallari reported.  "I noticed the UFO enter (the
field of view) through my camera's view finder,
and I took this picture.  I tried to take more pictures
as fast as the camera would take them, but the UFO
was traveling at a great rate of speed and was out
of my field of vision within two seconds."
     "The UFO appeared to be a gray/silver-colored
spherical/orb-shaped craft.  There was no trail or
smear seen during the filming, but the picture shows
a tail or smear behind the UFO.  The UFO traveled
north towards New York City  I believe the craft was
about 50 to 75 feet in diameter."
     Cavallari said he thinks the "tail or smear" in the
photograph is probably a "motion blur" which resulted
because his camera or the film "was too slow in
response time to capture the craft's image in a still
or motionless position."  (Copyright 1998 by Alex
Cavallari.  Many thanks, Alex, for letting UFO Roundup
quote from your report.)


     A new UFO flap has excited residents of Boyle,
a town in County Roscommon, Eire, the site of
an alleged saucer crash two years ago.
     In May 1996, several residents reported seeing
a large silver saucer plunge from the sky, clip some
treetops on a hillside and crash in a lake just north
of Boyle.
     According to some accounts, several occupants
of the craft survived the crash and were taken into
custody by the Gardai (Irish police--J.T.)  A NATO
task force then reportedly moved into the crash
zone and remained there for several months.
     Now Boyle is the site of a new UFO flap,
according to the Roscommon Herald.  "The
Herald has heard several reports of bright blue lights
moving back and forward slowly in the heavens in
the early last Saturday night/early Sunday morning,"
i.e. June 6/June 7, 1998.  Boyle is about
168 kilometers (105 miles) northwest of
Dublin, the national capital.
     "According to one observer, the mysterious
lights were hovering over the Ballymote Road of
Boyle and could apparently be seen for many
miles around."  (See the Roscommon Herald for
June 10, 1998, "'Flying Saucer' in Boyle."  Many
thanks to Daev Walsh of Blather for forwarding
the article.)


     Two Australian men, both in their mid-fifties,
sighted a UFO "shaped like a Mexican hat" at
Paradise Point, Queensland, about 200 kilometers
(120 miles) south of Brisbane last week.
     Gerhard S. and Waltraud S. saw the UFO from
their home in Paradise Point.  "They describe the
object as very bright, white and some orange light
underneath."  The object, they said, "was a flat disc
with a dome in the center and a bright light underneath."
     "The object was moving very slowly over the sky,
coming from the northwest.  It disappeared and
reappeared several times and, after several minutes,
disappeared behind trees and houses in a southerly
direction.  The size was a bit smaller than the moon,
about a third of a degree arc, but was brighter than
the moon.  Seemed to be several kilometers away.
It looked similar to a Mexican hat, no similarity to
aircraft or helicopters, etc."  (Email Interview)


     North central Italy was rocked by a UFO flap the
night of Monday, June 8, 1998.
     "At 9:40 p.m., some red lights were observed
turning around a tall TV tower in the city of
Firenze (Florence)," about 200 kilometers
(120 miles) north of Rome.
     "At 10:10 p.m., two white lights were seen moving
in tandem through the skies above Caselle Torinese
from the northeast to the south, and, a few seconds
later, the same witnesses saw a white light like a
lighthouse beacon in the west, which several seconds
later moved to a higher altitude."
     At 10:50 p.m., "two mysterious lights were moving
parallel to each other from north to south in the
vicinity of Piacenza," a city 320 kilometers (200 miles)
northwest of Rome.
     At 11:10 p.m., the same phenomenon was seen
at Viconza, a small city in Veneto province about
96 kilometers (58 miles) west of Venezia (Venice).
     Also that night, at 10 p.m., a "mysterious light
was photographed at Mizza" in northern Italy.
     At 2:55 a.m. on Tuesday, June 9, 1998, "a single
reddish sphere" was photographed over Rome.  This
case is being investigated by the Centro Italiano di
Studi Ufologici (CISU).  (Grazie a Renzo Cabassi,
Daniele Maffetone, Paolo Tosselli, Alfredo Lissoni
e Edoardo Russo di CISU per questo rapporto.)


     A mysterious fireball crossed the sky over
Misiones province in northern Argentina the afternoon
of Monday, June 8, 1998, leaving a luminous trail
that remained visible for minutes afterward--even
during a tropical downpour.
     "Several witnesses observed the afternoon of
Monday, June 8, a ball of fire, which, say the
witnesses, crossed over Colonia Julio Martin,
seven kilometers (5 miles) from the city of Campo
     "So bright was the spectacle" that the
witnesses "entertained the possibility that they
had seen an OVNI (Spanish acronym for UFO)
but reports from a local observatory and specialists
indicated that they had seen a meteorite."
     "A great explosion was heard by the villagers
and attributed to the (Argentinian) Air Force, and
the astronomers said it was related to the heavenly
     The trail remained visible "despite the intense
rains that were reported in the area."
     Campo Viera is 560 kilometers (350 miles)
north of Buenos Aires, the capital.  (See the
Argentinian newspaper El Dia of La Plata for
June 12, 1998.  Muchas gracias a Carlos Iurchuk
para esa historia.)

from the UFO Files...


     Here's a record in the field of Forteana--five weird
events, all taking place at different points around
the world on the same day.  The day was June 25,
1875, and here are the incidents, fully documented.
     USA - Tatanka Iotanka (Sitting Bull) is participating
in the annual Sun Dance powwow at Standing Rock,
Dakota Territory (now Mobridge, South Dakota.)  All
at once, he collapses into a trance.  In his vision, he
finds himself 400 miles to the west, in the hilly coulee
country of eastern Montana.  He meets White Buffalo
Calf Woman, guardian spirit of the Lakota people.
She tells him that in one year's time a big battle will
be fought here.  The Lakotas will be victorious, she
says, but victory will bring much hardship, and she
predicts a Lakota renaissance in a few generations.
Henry Holt, Inc. New York, N.Y. 1993.  Chalk one
up for White Buffalo Calf Woman.  The Battle of the
Little Bighorn, a.k.a. Little Ragnarok on the Prairie,
was fought one year later, on June 25, 1876.)
     USA - The same morning, on the east coast of
Tunkashila (Lakota name for the USA), on West
47th Street in New York City, to be exact, a Russian
noblewoman and mystic named Elena Petrovna von
Hahn Blavatsky made her way slowly to her study.
Elena had had a little date with Jack Daniels the
previous night and now had a head as big as Siberia.
Reaching her desk, she let out a scream. There, on
the desktop, was "a pile of perhaps thirty pages,
written--or perhaps one should say precipitated--by
invisible hands while she slept."  It was the start
of Madame Blavatsky's first book, ISIS UNVEILED.
Peter Washington, Schoken Books, New York, N.Y.
1995, page 51.)
     AUSTRIA - Guido Karl Anton List, journalist,
folklorist and mountain climber, invites four fellow
members of the Donauhort, a rowing club in Vienna,
to take the day off from work and row down the
Danube to the Roman ruins at Carnantum.  "For
List, lost in reverie, it was the 1,500th anniversary
of the tribal German victory over the Romans, which
he celebrated with a fire and the burial of eight wine
bottles in the shape of a swastika beneath the arch
of the Pagan Gate."  This event marked the birth of
the Armanenschaft, a forerunner of the Nazi Party.
Goodrick-Clarke, New York University Press, 1992,
page 35)
     UK - "Flashes that were seen in the sky upon
the 25th of June, 1875 by Charles Gape, of Scole,
FORT, Dover Publications Inc., New York, N.Y., 1974,
page 434. I knew I could count on you, Chuck.)
     AUSTRALIA - "A miner, a Mr. J.H. Campbell, was
exploring scrubland on the southern slope of the Castle,"
a landform in the Jamison Valley near Katoomba Falls,
New South Wales, "when he sighted what he later
described as a hairy, two-metre-(6.6 feet)-tall, manlike
ape-like animal moving through the scrub about 100
metres in front of him and seeminglt oblivious to his
presence.  Mr. Campbell picked up a strong piece of
tree limb for protection and stalked the hairy creature
(usually called aYowie in Australia--J.T.) for half a
kilometre before it eluded him."  (See MYSTERIOUS
AUSTRALIA by Rex Gilroy, Nexus Publishing,
Mapleton, Qld., 1995, page 197)
    Your editor does not pretend to know the meaning
of it all.  But the concentration of strange incidents
on this single day is certainly unusual.

     For more on situation in Boyle, Eire, drop in at
Daev Walsh's great site, Nua Blather, a weekly
compendium of Forteana, dogma destruction and
high wierdness.  Check it out at http://www.nua.ie/
     Don't miss our parent site, UFO INFO, with its
new links to Australia.  Log in at this URL:
     Back issues of UFO Roundup are available for
reading and downloading at our site.  Drop in at

     And that's it for now.  Join us next weekend for
more saucer news from "the paper that goes home--
UFO ROUNDUP."  See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
items from UFO Roundup on their websites or in
newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter
and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com