UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1998 > Jun > Jun 29

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 26

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 07:20:11 EDT
Fwd Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:11:56 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 3, Number 26

Volume 3, Number 26
June 28, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     On Wednesday, June 24, 1998, at 7:16 p.m., flight
controllers at NASA's Goddard Spaceflight Center in
Greenbelt, Maryland lost contact with the Solar and
Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) satellite.
     Launched on December 2, 1995, SOHO is an
orbiting satellite of the "Great Observatories" program
and is jointly operated by NASA and the European Space
     According to the NASA press release of June 26, 1998,
"SOHO went into emergency sun reacquisition mode, and
ground controllers lost contact with the spacecraft at
7:16 p.m....This mode is activated when an anomaly occurs
and the spacecraft loses its orientation towards the Sun.
When this happens, the spacecraft automatically tries to
point itself toward the Sun again by firing its attitude control
thrusters under the guidance of an onboard Sun sensor."
     The NASA press release did not describe the nature
of the "anomaly."
     "Efforts to re-establish contact with SOHO did not
succeed, and telemetry was lost.  Subsequent attempts
using the full NASA Deep Space Network capabilities
have so far also not been successful."
     "Engineers at NASA and ESA are attempting to
re-establish contact with the spacecraft."
(Many thanks to Kent Steadman of the CyberSpace
Orbit for forwarding the NASA news release.)
(Editor's Note:  SOHO is the second major satellite to
go haywire in orbit recently.  Last month, the
communications satellite Galaxy IV rotated out of
position and lost contact with Earth.  Also, on
January 10, 1997, SOHO photographed a mysterious
object between Earth and the Sun, which NASA
subsequently identified as a sun-grazing "proto-comet."
See UFO Roundup, Volume 2, Number 3 for more


     Early Sunday morning, June 14, 1998, at 4:30 a.m.,
two men were driving a truck from the Andes west to
La Serena, a city in northern Chile, when "a huge
explosion of light" lit up the sky.
     The two drivers were employed by the copper
mine in the Valle del Elqui, near Vicuna, 100 kilometers
(60 miles) east of La Serena.  Both communities are
in the province of Coquimbo about 380 kilometers
(240 miles) north of the national capital, Santiago
de Chile.
     According to ufologist Luis Sanchez Perry, the
explosion was heard within a radius of 200 kilometers
(120 miles).
     The truck was "near a place called Chapilco, when
he was blinded by the brilliant white light.  He couldn't
see anything for a few seconds."
     "He was with his partner" at the time, and "everything
lighted up like it was a summer day (11 a.m.)."
(Editor's Note: Late June is a winter month in Chile and
the other countries of the southern hemisphere.)
     "The white burst of light had a duration of eight
seconds approximately."
     The case is being investigated by ufologist
Patricio Diaz of La Serena.  (Muchas gracias a Luis
Sanchez Perry para esas noticias.)


     A very large, dark, disc-shaped UFO visited the
huge hydroelectric dam at Lago (Lake) de Colbun
in southern Chile on May 16, 1998.
     The UFO was witnessed by over 30 people,
who described it as a a gigantic disc, "dark (not
black), with a big orange light on the bottom (middle)
and small lights that moved around on the outer
part (rim) of the object."
     Lago de Colbun is Chile's biggest hydroelectric
dam and one of the largest in South America.  It's
located 200 kilometers (120 miles) south of
Santiago de Chile.
     The UFO hovered at 1,000 meters (3,300 feet)
above the ground and remained in view for 20 minutes
before flying across the lake and into the Andes.
Witnesses described the object as "so big that it
seemed to cover the whole valley."
     According to ufologist Luis Sanchez Perry,
Lago de Colbun has seen many UFO visitations in
recent months.
     "They call the UFOs robones (thieves) because
that they say they steal electricity," Luis reported.
"Before they had the high-tech plant, they didn't have
many blackouts (one or two in a month), but now they
have three in a week."
     "UFOs have been seen coming out of Lake Colbun
near the high tension wires, absorbing electricity,
absorbing water, and some of them have gone at high
speed through the valley towards the hydroelectric
plant," coming within a few hundred meters of the
dam before disappearing.  (Otra vez, muchas gracias
a Luis Sanchez Perry para esa historia.)


     A blindingly-bright blue fireball shot across the
sky south of Phoenix, Arizona on Thursday afternoon,
June 18, 1998, and was seen by hundreds of amazed
     Witnesses from the Phoenix suburbs of Chandler
and Ahwatukee south to Tucson reported seeing the
object pass over, heading west.  Some witnesses
reported seeing "a blue fireball," others "a reddish
or orange streak."
     According to the Arizona Star, the event "followed
a much-publicized exploding meteor seen by hundreds
of Arizonans June 7 and news accounts of meteorites
that hit a New Mexico barn and a Tennessee home on
June 13."
     "'I was sitting on the back porch, and I saw the
long, red streak coming down from the sky,' said
John Botimer of Ahwatukee."
     "Carleton Moore, director of Arizona State University's
Center for Meteorite Study, said his office received more
than 90 calls Thursday and Friday about the daytime
fireball seen south of the Phoenix area."
     "Astronomers say an asteroid named Oljato may be
     "Swarms of asteroid chunks strung along the orbit
of a large asteroid could theoretically cause a rush of
bright meteors when Earth crosses the orbit, says
UA (University of Arizona) astronomer Dan Durda."
     "Earth was crossing one of the orbits of the asteroid
Oljato on June 8, he said."
     "'It's just conceivably possible that the June 7 fireball
may have been associated with Oljato,' he said, 'But it's
more likely just a statistical fluke."
(Editor's Comment: There have been a lot of "statistical
flukes" during the month of June, and not just in
Arizona.  See UFO Roundup, Volume 3, Numbers 24
and 25 for details on recent sightings in Italy and
     Elsewhere in Arizona, a skywatch group led by
Rob Meyer encountered a "a large multi-colored light
object" Friday night, June 19, 1998, in the red rock
canyons near Sedona (population 7,920).
     When one of the party spotted a strange glow in
the canyon, Meyer "picked up the night vision
equipment and asked everyone to observe the
phenomenon."  He then began "pulsing his flashlight
in the direction the light was coming from."
     "As he kept flashing, another light appeared and
flashed back in response...Two in the group saw several
Orbs pass by which they could see with through the
night vision equipment."
     Minutes passed and more bright spherical UFOs
appeared.  "As the evening ended," the group all "faced
the area where the lights were coming from and
observed another sequence of pulsed flashes."
     Meyer then "asked the group to send Love
telepathically to where the light was, and all of a sudden,
the most spectacular flashing of multi-colored lights
appeared in the same sequence Rob had flashed with
his flashlight."  (See the Arizona Star for June 21, 1998.
Many thanks to Errol Bruce-Knapp for forwarding the
Sedona story.)


     Late Saturday evening, June 20, 1998, "a strong
white light" moved into position above Monte Morello,
a peak south of Firenze (Florence), Italy "and remained
visible for more than half an hour."
     The UFO was first reported near the city's
international airport in nearby Peretola, where it "was
observed by dozens of eyewitnesses and by airport
personnel."  The object was described as having
"a dull white glow."
     Firenze is 200 kilometers (120 miles) north of Rome.
(See the Italian newspaper La Nazione for June 21, 1998.
Grazie a Renzo Cabassi, Nico Montigiani e Edoardo
Russo di CISU per questo rapporto.)


     Late Saturday night, June 20, 1998, Kayla S. and
her husband "were sitting in our backyard and watching
the stars because it was unusually clear and the
visibility was great.  I was 'hoping' to see a UFO but
did not really expect it."
     The couple, who live in a suburban neighborhood
between Dorval and Lachine, just south of Montreal,
Quebec, Canada, watched the sky for a while.  "Then,
at around midnight," Kayla reported, "I screamed,
'UFO, UFO!  It looks like something weird, honey.'"
     "My husband was also watching the strange sight.
We both saw an L-shaped formation that seemed to be
made up of about five different V-shaped objects.  It
could have been a flock of birds except for the fact of
the speed they were going at.  It traversed the sky
in about four seconds."
(Editor's Note:  Four seconds from horizon to horizon
equals 3,600 miles per hour.)
     "We lost sight of it because of the trees and the
houses and the speed of it.  The color of each of the
separate V-shaped objects was a kind of opaque
grey, translucent almost.  If it hadn't been so crystal
clear that night, then there was no way we would have
ever been able to see this."  She added that the UFO
formation was "traveling due south" towards the
Adirondack Mountains of the USA's northern New
York state.  (Email Interview)


     On Wednesday, June 17, 1998, at 9:30 p.m., a
waitress, her son and her boyfriend were driving on
California Highway 330 from the city of San
Bernardino (population 164,164) to the ridgeline
town of Running Springs (population 4,195) when
a strange green glow illuminated the sky.
     "She stated, 'The sky literally lit up,' and about
5,000 feet (1,515 meters) above the mountain road,
and 200 yards to the right of her car and over a
building with a flagpole hovered a huge 'fireball.'"
     According to Jerry Glass of Southern California
MUFON, subsequent investigation by members of
his group determined that the building was the
Running Springs Fresh Water Plant.
     The waitress stated, "The fireball was green,
luminescent," describing the glow as "forty times
brighter than the brightest flashlight I've ever seen,
with rays of light shooting out."
     According to Jerry Glass, "Her boyfriend was in
the passenger seat and he saw the object for 30
seconds while the car continued to drive."
     The woman's attention returned to the road as
their vehicle rounded a sharp turn and nearly "rushed
off a cliff.  She said two other cars were following
closely.  One was a California Highway Patrol
vehicle, which after the curve raced by her car."
     The woman reported her encounter to the local
sheriff's department, the Federal Aviation Administration
and the National UFO Hotline.
     Running Springs is eight miles (11 kilometers)
northeast of San Bernardino, a city approximately
63 miles (102 kilometers) east of Los Angeles.
     Earlier that afternoon, on June 17, 1998, a woman
psychologist from Running Springs was returning home
from her office in Redlands when "she observed black
military helicopters taking off from Norton Air Force
Base at the junction of Highways 30 and 330,
traveling up Highway 330 and flying over her jeep."
     According to Glass, Norton Air Force Base was
reportedly closed during a recent Defense Department
phaseout of military bases.
     The following day, Thursday, June 18, 1998, at
about 3 p.m., the same woman passed "a convoy
of six military vehicles carrying troops" on the same
road.  SoCal MUFON continues to investigate
these reports.  (Many thanks to Jerry Glass of
MUFON for this news story.)


     On Wednesday, June 17, 1998, at 11 p.m.,
Michigan ufologist Jeff Westover spotted "five
star-like objects in the sky moving very fast,
three moving due north and two to the south-
southeast.  One of the southerly-moving objects
intersected with a westbound jet.  This particular
object had a veering movement to it.  The other
four seemed to go very fast on a straight path."
     On Saturday, June 20, 1998, at 11 p.m.,
Westover was driving into Marlette (population 1924)
when he spied "a brilliant reddish-orange light" just
above the southern horizon.
     "I hurriedly made it through town, past the bright
street lights and through heavy cruising traffic, and
out into the south end of town," Jeff reported.  "It was
still there, 20 degrees above the horizon, almost
directly in front of me and bobbing like a boat on
choppy seas.  The single light was jumping around
slightly.  Then it happened.  I pulled off onto a side
road on a slight hill and parked the car, waiting to see
if the light would reappear...binoculars ready."
     "Sure enough, it reappeared within two minutes
and was flying bright, although not giving off any glow
or halo.  It seemed to be like a ball of fire, concentrated
and bright.  Through the binoculars it was a bright ball
of reddish orange light, brighter than any star in the sky,
and seemed to have a bobbing motion to it.  And then
it simply vanished before my eyes...It suddenly reappeared
at 20 degrees and then dropped to the ground.  I lost sight
of it at that point."  (Many thanks to Jeff Westover of
MUFON for this news story.)


     On Saturday, June 20, 1998, just after midnight, two
junior high school girls, aged 12 and 13, "observed two
UFOs" in the sky over their hometown of Valparaiso,
Indiana (population 24,414), a city located 45 miles
(72 kilometers) southeast of Chicago, Illinois.
     The girls described the UFO as "a 'star-like' object
without running lights."  The UFO "was moving gradually
in a southerly direction before making an abrupt turn
upward and to the north."
     At 12:10 a.m., the girls saw a second object that
"appeared to consist of three star-like lights flying
line-abreast.  The speed of the second object was said
to be much faster than the first, and it was moving west
and rising in an abrupt turn towards the south, finally
disappearing from sight."
     According to Mike Caldwell, father of the 12-year-old
girl, his daughter is a National Junior Honor Society
student and "knows quite clearly what an airplane looks
like, both in daytime and night conditions.  She has
stated emphatically that this was not an airplane."
(Many thanks to Kenneth Young of Tri-States Advocates
for Scientific Knowledge, T.A.S.K., for this report.)


     Astronomers this week found a large planet
similar to Jupiter in a neighboring solar system.
     The yet-unnamed gas giant is "three times closer"
to Earth "than any of the 11 other 'extrasolar' planets
that have been found in the past two years," according
to the report in USA Today.
     "'This has astronomers bristling and squirming in
their seats,' says astronomer Geoffrey Marcy of San
Francisco State University, whose team has found
seven of the twelve known planets beyond Pluto."
     "Marcy's team used telescopes last week to detect
a telltale wobble in the parent star, called Gliese 876,
that was caused by the gravitational tug of a planet."
     "Two teams of Europeans independently confirmed
the find," according to the June 27, 1998 edition of
Science News.
     "The newly found planet is nearly twice the mass
of Jupiter and the first extrasolar planet that orbits its
star in an elongated loop rather than a circle.  It takes
61 days to orbit the star at an average distance of
about 18.5 million miles, one fifth the distance between
the sun and Earth."
     "'We don;t know what it's made of, but we'd guess
it's like our own Jupiter, a big ball of hydrogen and
helium gas with some methane and ammonia thrown
in,' Marcy says."
     "Gliese 876, in the constellation Aquarius, is about
15 light years or 87 trillion miles (139 trillion kilometers)
away.  With a weight of just a third of the sun, it is the
smallest and lightest star known to have a star around it.
The star has just one percent of the sun's brightness."
     "Since most stars in our 100-billion-star Milky Way
galaxy belong to this lighter class, astronomers suspect
there may be many more planets awaiting discovery."
     "'We're seeing these Jupiters in 10 to 15 percent of
the stars we're studying.  We'll eventually get to the
point where maybe we can find Earthlike planets
around other stars,' says Charles Beichmann of NASA's
Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif."  (See
USA Today for June 25, 1998, "Scientists find
closest-yet new planet," by Paul Hoversten.)
(Editor's Comment: Twice the mass of Jupiter, eh?
I've got an idea.  Why don't we call this newfound
gas giant Krypton?)


     A team of three investigators, including Lynn
Picknett, Clive Prince and Simon Cox, infiltrated
Egypt's Great Pyramid on March 31, 1998 and
found evidence of a secret archeological project
underway, according to their report in the July 1998
issue of Fortean Times.
     Picknett and Prince wrote, "There is secret
tunnelling in the Great Pyramid.  We should know.
We found evidence for it--and secretly captured it on
camera and video."
     Just before the Pyramid closed April 1 for
renovations, Picknett, Prince and Cox entered the
Pyramid and "were about to duck down the small
entrance into the King's Chamber, Simon (Cox)
pointed out an anomalous feature.  There in the
wall was an old, padlocked metal grille where--
just a few months before--there was a solid
stone block."
     The trio found "fresh cement" around the grille,
proving that it had been installed recently.
    "Shining a torch (flashlight) through the grille, we
could see the electric cable installed by (German
archeologist) Rudolf Gantenbrink in the early
1990s, and we could hear the noise of a nearby
generator or possibly drill."
     "Simon says that this tunnel connects up with
the northern 'air shaft' that comes out of the
King's Chamber.  And up the shaft there's a heap
of rubbish--including plastic water bottles--that's
too far up to have come from tourists in the King's
Chamber, but which has obviously been dropped
from the other side by workers in the new tunnel."
     "They're also doing other things in the Great
Pyramid.  A month before (February 28), Simon
had managed to get down to the pit in the
Subterranean Chamber beneath the pyramid
and found that there was a false floor covered
with sand and debris to conceal the evidence
of recent digging."
     "Interestingly, the gaffir (attendant) of the
Second Pyramid, after finding out that Simon had
already spotted the cover-up, told us that three
new chambers had been discovered behind and
above the walls of the King's Chamber, which
is obviously where the tunnel now leads."  (See
Fortean Times #112 for July 1998, "Flex, Lies
and Videotape" by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince,
page 37.)
(Editor's Comment: Ever since the Great Pyramid
closed for renovations back on April 1, rumors
have been flying of new chambers discovered,
secret UNESCO digs, and a convoy of military
vehicles loaded with soldiers in "desert cookie"
camoflauge uniforms with no national or unit
insignia.  My favorite is the story of the life-sized
statue supposedly discovered in one of the alleged
new chambers--a statue of a man with unmistakably
African features sitting in the lotus position and
gazing up an 'air shaft' at the star Sirius.)

from the UFO Files...


     Nearly all ufologists are aware of the fact that
pilot Kenneth Arnold was out searching for a missing
U.S. Marine Corps transport plane on June 24, 1947
when he spotted his "flying saucers."
     But few remember the other plane that went
missing the same week a UFO crashed at Roswell.
     On Thursday morning, July 3, 1947, a C-54 cargo
plane with four propellor engines took off from
Kindley Field on Bermuda--destination Florida.
     Aboard was a U.S. Army Air Corps crew consisting
of six men.  Pilot: Major Ralph B. Ward of Concord,
New Hampshire.  Co-Pilot: Major Clyde R. Inman of
Boise, Idaho.  Navigator: Major John R. Sands Jr.of
Jacksonville, Florida.  Radio Operator: S/Sgt. Ernest
D. Fey of New Orleans, Louisiana.  Plus S/Sgt. Andrew
S. Bagacus of Townsend, Wisconsin and Sgt. Fred E.
Fricks of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
     The C-54 was scheduled to touch down on the
runway at Morrison Army Air Field in Palm Beach,
Florida at around 2:30 p.m.  By 6 p.m., Ward's plane
was listed as "overdue."
     "Ships and planes raced out to play their role in the
by now all-too-familiar search pattern extending from
the coast of Florida to Bermuda.  Hunters scanned the
seas all night for a glimpse of light.  By dawn the air-sea
rescue operation was in full swing, with hopes high of
finding the fliers alive."
     "Early Friday morning, July 4 (1947), a large Army
transport C-74 reported sighting wreckage on the sea
300 miles northeast of West Palm Beach, Florida."
     The USS Orion was sent to investigate.  Hours
later, Major L.R. Humphreys, commanding the 5th Air
Rescue Squadron, told newsmen that the Orion "found
an oxygen bottle, two yellow seat cushions and some
aircraft plywood--all believed to be Army aircraft
equipment, but none of it identified as belonging to
the plane."
     "Air Transport Command (ATC) headquarters
announced that the search for the C-54 and its crew
was officially abandoned as of Tuesday, July 8, 1947.
According to the statement, the only wreckage found
in the course of the 100,000-square-mile search by
Army,. Navy and Coast Guard planes and surface
vessels was that picked up by the Orion.  No other
debris, bodies, oil slick or clues turned up.  The ATC
alone flew 52 sorties involving 422 hours of flight."
     The C-54 disappeared fifty-one years ago, the day
before the UFO crash at Roswell.  Major Ward and
his crew are still missing.  (See LIMBO OF THE LOST
by John Wallace Spencer, Bantam Books, New York,
N.Y., 1973, pages 20-22.)

ROUNDUP CORRIGENDA: Daev Walsh of Nua Blather
informs me that the country's proper name is Republic
of Ireland, not "Eire" as reported in last week's issue.
I stand corrected, Daev.  Thanks for writing.

FUN UFO WEBSITES: For more on the Sedona UFO
encounter, drop in at Rob Meyer's website.  It's at
     You'll find the Running Springs, California UFO
sightings discussed in depth at this site.  Log in at
     Follow Jeff Westover's UFO adventures at this
     Be sure to drop in at our parent site, UFO INFO,
with its fine array of news, features, photos and
transcripts.  Set your browser for http://unfoinfo.com
     Back issues of UFO Roundup can be accessed
and downloaded at our archive.  Feel free to drop in
any time at http://ufoinfo.com/roundup and add to
your personal UFO library.

     Tomorrow, June 29, is the anniversary of the
Council of Pisa in 1408.  At the time, the Roman
Catholic Church had two rival popes, Gregory XII
in Rome and Benedict XII in Avignon, France.
Each one claimed to be the real McCoy.  The
Council of Pisa came up with an interesting solution
to this dilemna.  The council impeached both of
them and elected a new guy, Peter Philarges, as
Pope Alexander V.  Talk about a new broom and
a clean sweep!

     Barring impeachment, we'll be back next weekend
with more saucer news from "the paper that goes
home--UFO ROUNDUP."  See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1998 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
news items from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites
or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and list the date
of issue in which the item first appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com