UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1999 > Jan > Jan 5

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 1

From: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 19:30:51 +0000
Fwd Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:56:53 -0500
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 1

Volume 4, Number 1
January 5, 1999
Editor: Joseph Trainor


Ufologists in Finland are looking into a reported air battle
between a Finnish jet fighter and a squadron of five UFOs.

According to Lars Osterman, the dogfight took place on March 31,
1997 in northern Finland. Local researchers learned of it when
the pilot, whose name has been kept under wraps, phoned a radio
talk show and reportedly said he was "having trouble dealing
with" the experience.

According to Osterman, the fighter was an F-18A Hornet of the
Suomen Ilmaviomat (Finnish Air Force--J.T.), which was posted to
the Lapin Lennosto (Far North Air Department) air base at
Rovaniemi, 400 kilometers (240 miles) north of Helsinki.

The F-18 took off on "a routine 960-kilometer patrol of the
border" with Russia.  As the jet flew over the frozen tundra
southeast of Lake Inarijarvi, the pilot spotted three discoid
UFOs flying in a northeasterly direction.

Going in for a closer look, the pilot saw that "there seemed to
be five saucers, instead of just three."  He then radioed
Rovaniemi and advised them of the situation.  Lapin Lennosto
Flight Control ordered him to intercept the objects.

The five UFOs, described by the pilot as "glowing orange
objects," veered sharply to the northwest.  The F-18 pursued
them to Ivalo, a city 200 kilometers (120 miles) north of
Rovaniemi. >From there, the F-18 chased the saucers west to
Inari, 40 kilometers (24 miles) to the northwest. Then the
saucers darted eastward, high above Lake Inarijarvi.

The pilot told Flight Control that the UFOs were breaking
formation and requested permission to fire at them.  Flight
Control responded, "Permission granted.  Fire at will."

The pilot got behind one glowing saucer and lined it up with the
reticule on his windshield "heads up" display.  But instead of
picking up the "target acquisition tone" in his earphones, he
heard the raucous honk of an alarm.

All at once, the targeting computer went off-line. The "heads
up" display disappeared.  The F-18's firing system for the 20mm
cannon was also down. Instantly the pilot hit the "arming"
switch for his air-to-air missiles.  The red Malfunction light
began blinking on the dashboard.

According to Osterman, the saucers regrouped and flew away to
the east "at Mach 4 or 5.  They had an orange glow around them."

None of the F-18's flight control systems were affected, and the
pilot returned safely to Rovaniemi.

"They tested the computers for days afterward but could find
nothing wrong with them," he added.

The saucers crossed the border and were last seen heading for
Talvikula in Russia.  (Email Interview)


On Tuesday, December 29, 1998, at midnight, a man named Cart was
entertaining 20 guests at his home near Kelhi Avenue in
Sherwood, Arkansas (population 18,893), a suburb of Little Rock
just north of the Arkansas River, when they noticed a strange
light in the sky.

"We had it in view for 20 minutes," Cart said, "All twenty of us
saw it. The UFO approached from the north, maybe at 10 degrees
above the horizon. There was a luminous aura all around the
craft.  It was a green color.  The UFO had a definite shape. We
did not hear any sound associated with this object."

"I'd estimate that it was traveling at about 120 miles per
hour," he added.  (Email Interview)

Elsewhere in Arkansas, MUFON investigator Christine Lippert has
uncovered more strange sightings around the town of Mountain
Home (population 9,029), located 146 miles (233 kilometers)
north of Little Rock.

"Andy Lewis, a pilot and former airport commissioner, told The
Bulletin he also saw the bright lights the same night (November
12, 1998) as an anonymous caller, and in the same general
area--near Valley Airport."

"Besides the two sightings of lights, Lewis claims to have seen
a gold object in the sky recently, too."

"'I was so concerned about it, I called the FAA. (Federal
Aviation Administration--J.T.),' Lewis said." He described the
UFO as "gray in color with black stripes on the underside of it.
'I'd never seen anything like that...I hope it doesn't come

"A couple of other people in the Cotter/Glassville area claim to
have seen an object that was shaped like a barrel, while a
Mountain Home woman said she saw an object shaped like a cigar
in the sky as she was coming home from church Halloween night."
(See the Baxter Bulletin of Mountain Home, Arkansas for November
17, 1998, "Odd sightings still reported" by Bruce Roberts.  Many
thanks to Lou Farrish of UFO Newsclipping Service for forwarding
this newspaper article.)


On December 24, 1998, at 9:15 p.m., Michigan ufologist Jeff
Westover was driving home from Saginaw (population 69,100).
Near the intersection of Interstate Highway I-75 and Michigan
Highway 20, Jeff "first noticed the object low in the eastern
sky (about 10 to 15 degrees above the horizon.)  I first thought
that a star or planet was rising, as it twinkled and flared
brightly in an orangeish color due to atmospheric refraction.
But I soon noticed it changing direction in relation to the
other stars above it."

He described the UFO as "a flaring amber light" that "just sat,
drifted and flared.  It did not maneuver strangely."

"I turned east on Michigan Highway 81 (ten miles south of the
interchange) to get a better look at the light," Jeff reported.
"It was now approximately 50 degrees above the eastern horizon.
The amber light quickly dimmed to a single point of light or a
very dim star.  I noticed no FAA-compliant anti-collision
strobes or wingtip lights as it flew slowly above."  (Email

On Friday, December 25, 1998, at 7 p.m., a man visiting his
parents in Memphis, Michigan (population 1,221), a town on
Highway 19 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Detroit,
"noticed some colored lights in the southern sky."

"There were about five different lights that would start off dim
and then get real bright, then fade off, only to reappear," the
witness reported.  "I figured they could be helicopters looking
for something, shining a spotlight.  I wanted to get a closer
look, so me and the old man took off in that direction.  We went
about 10 miles south and found an open area with no houses (to
impede their view--J.T.) to stop and look up into the night

"At first they seemed to be gone.  But then two dim lights in
the distance appeared periodically, not quite as bright as
before.  So, after a half hour out there, we headed home.  But
when we got home, they were back on the southern horizon, as
bright as ever." (Many thanks to Jeff Westover for referring
this witness statement.)

On Tuesday, December 29, 1998, at around 9:30 p.m., two
witnesses "were traveling eastbound on (Interstate Highway)
I-94."  As they passed through Sunrise Heights (population
1,400), a town "30 or 32 miles east of Kalamazoo, somewhere
between mile markers 110 and 113," they spotted "a strange craft
flying very slowly about 20 feet (6 meters) up from the ground
over the freeway."

"At first glance, we thought it was a LOW-flying airplane, but
the craft had so many yellow lights (25 or more) across in a
horizontal position.  There was a central yellow light that
appeared brighter than the rest, which were blinking in sync."

"Upon noticing this, and its shape was so odd... we determined
that the craft could not have been a helicopter or an airplane."
"Then, as we approached an area full of cell (cellular
telephone--J.T.) towers, the craft descended in a
direct-vertical motion, landing on the ground about 20 feet from
the edge of the freeway in a dark grassy area."

Slowing the car to 20 miles per hour, the pair took a closer
look at the UFO, which they described as "an upside-down
spider...The middle was ball-like (spherical)...and it had large
arms/appendages on top coming out all over.  And the
arms/appendages had holes through them in a vertical pattern.
The arms seemed to be upright, but bent out at an elbow and
appeared to have a metal end coming from each with a light at
the tip.  The craft seemed to be as large as a car but wider."

The UFO may have been seen by other motorists, they added, "We
are rueful that we didn't stop."  (Many thanks to Peter A.
Gersten of CAUS for this news story.)


On Saturday, December 26, 1998, Paul T. and his son were driving
on Interstate Highway I-40 in Hickory, North Carolina
(population 28,301), a city 178 miles (285 kilometers) west of
Raleigh, when they saw "a strange object pass directly

"The object looked like a shirt button at arm's length," Paul
reported, "Like a saucer on its side. The object was a brilliant
bright white.  When I first saw the object, it was almost
directly overhead. I guess about 90 degrees.  It moved westward
over a wooded area." "There was no sound whatsoever--none!"
"Although it moved westward, it made several zigzag maneuvers
while doing so," he added, "That is the only way I can describe
it.  Nothing can move that way."  (Email Interview)


On Thursday, December 24, 1998, at 7:50 p.m., a UFO "with
pulsating red, green and white lights was zigzagging through the
northern Goldfields sky" at Murrin Murrin, Western Australia.

Security personnel at the Murrin Murrin mine "watched the light
for about a half hour on Christmas Eve."

"The security officers said in their report that the star began
to pulsate red and green and white and travelling up and down in
jerking movements, with the red and green lights seeming more
round. It then moved lower and zigzagged from side to side
before emitting a burst of white light and disappearing below
the tree line."  (See the Western Australian of Perth, W.A. for
December 28, 1998, "Flashing light heralds Santa."  Many thanks
to Patricia Ziegler for this newspaper article.)


On November 6, 1998, retired nurse Madeleine Patterson, 63, had
a sudden strange urge to go outdoors and snap a photograph.
Grabbing her camera, she stepped out onto the backstairs of her
home in Toowong, Queensland, Australia and tapped the shutter.

When the film was developed, she found the image of a silver
disc UFO in the photo.

"I didn't see the UFO at all," Mrs. Patterson said, "What I had
was a feeling there might be something strange to photograph.
It's something like when people get a feeling there's going to
be a storm."

"Retired nurse Mrs. Patterson, who is also a naturopath and
nutritionist, has added the photograph to her growing collection
of photographs of cross formations and angels.  It includes six
photographs of UFOs."

"'These things are there for everyone to see.  All my life I've
been interested in things that are beyond physical and material
spheres, and I watch these things closely.'"

Mrs. Patterson also believes that ETs exist. She said,
"Otherwise, we'd be like cave people, thinking we are the only
people in the universe." (See Australia's Sunday Mail for
January 3, 1999, "The truth is out there.  So are the UFOs" by
Elissa Lawrence, page 86.  Many thanks to Diane Harrison for
this newspaper article.)


On December 10, 1998, at 9 p.m., a witness near Route 44 in
Middleboro, Massachusetts (population 6,837), a town about 43
miles (69 kilometers) south of Boston, "watched a strange,
brightly-lit craft" in the southern sky.

"The craft had numerous red, green and white lights.  As the
witnesses watched, it split into two UFOs."

The two UFOs then performed a series of dazzling aerobatic
maneuvers over Assawompsett Pond, a large glaial like just south
of Middleboro.  "The two crafts flew geometric patterns at high
speed around the sky." after which "the two UFOs combined into
one and shortly thereafter disappeared."

A short while later, the witness reported, a few jets, which he
believed to be U.S. Air Force jet interceptors, flew over
Middleboro.  (See Filer's Files #52 for 1998.  Many thanks to
George A. Filer, Eastern director of MUFON, for allowing UFO
Roundup to use this report.)


Archaeologists believe they have discovered a 4,000-year-old
calendar stone used by the Tequesta people, an indigenous Native
American tribe who lived in Miami, Florida millenia ago.

Planets such as Mars, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn, plus familiar
constellations, are visible on the stone, which was discovered
at a construction site on Bricknell Key back in August 1998.

The stone measures 38 feet (11 meters) in diameter and "is
pockmarked with small dents and holes."

"It's a striking find.  The holes could have been used to
measure time, the sun, the stars," said Miami archaeologist Paul
George.  "It shows tremendous intelligence on their part,
carving something like this using rudimentary tools."

"The Tequesta disappeared shortly after Spanish explorer Ponce
de Leon arrived in Florida in 1513, introducing European
diseases and war." (See the Miami Herald for December 28, 1998.
Many thanks to "Colonel Churchward" for the newspaper article.)

(Editor's Comment: So much for the "primitive Tequesta shell
fishermen" living on the shores of the Miami River!  The
Tequesta artifact bears a strong resemblance to the Mayan
calendar stones.  Which is no surprise, when you consider that
southern Florida is only 300 miles (480 kilometers) north of the
Mayan homeland in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.)


Despite a temporary delay due to rainy weather, NASA's Mars
Polar Lander lifted off from Cape Canaveral on Sunday, January
3, 1999, heading for the Antarctic region of the planet Mars.

The Mars Polar Lander (MPL) is the second of NASA's New
Millenium space probes.  MPL's sister spacecraft, the Mars
Climate Orbiter, blasted off in early December 1998.

"NASA's Mars Polar Lander is bound for the fringes of Mars's
south polar cap, the farthest south any spacecraft has ventured
on the Red Planet. It's due to arrive in December (1999) when
it's late spring and the sun never sets on Mars," i.e. the
Martian south pole.

"The Polar Lander's goal is to find ice in the Martian soil.
Where there's water, NASA's top space scientist says, there
could be life." "'We have a lot of reason to believe there's
water on Mars in the form of ice," (NASA Space Sciences Division
boss Ed) Weiler says, "But until you actually land there and
find it and measure it, you can't say for sure.  That's one
thing I think this mission will demonstrate.'"

"The Polar Lander is three-and-a-half feet (1 meter) tall and 12
feet (3.7 meters) wide.  It has three legs as well as a
six-and-a-half foot (2 meter) robot arm with a scoop at the end
to scrape beneath the Martian surface.  The collected dirt will
be heated, allowing any water present to vaporize and be
detected by a laser."

"The Polar Lander is also equipped with a pair of probes that
will peel away minutes before touchdown and slam into the
Martian surface at 400 to 500 miles per hour, about 60 miles
from the lander."

"Like the lander, the twin probes will hunt for water but at a
much greater depth.  They could penetrate as deep as three feet.
The question is whether they will survive the impact and radio
back data."  (See USA Today for January 4, 1999, "Mission
searches for water on Mars," by Marcia Dunn, Associated Press,
page 4A.)

from the UFO Files...


On January 8, 1956, at the height of the Antarctic summer, four
scientists from Chile were camped out on the icecap of the
Weddell Sea, performing weather experiments as part of the
International Geophysical Year.

The weather was clear, with a blue sky and the sun low on the
horizon.  "One man stepped outside and noticed 'two metallic
cigar-shaped objects in a vertical position, perfectly still and
silent and flashing vividly the reflected rays of the sun.'"

"One of the objects was almost at the mid-heaven, and the other
at a distance of some 30 degrees from the first...the things
looked utterly solid, with smooth, polished seemingly metallic
surfaces.  He called a second man to come look at the

"Then they moved to another vantage point about 100 yards away
to see if some sort of atmospheric optical effect could be
causing them; they did not change appearance."

"Upon returning to their tent area, two more men also saw the
objects.  The two objects remained motionless until 2100 hours
(9 p.m.) when the uppermost object tilted into horizontal
position and started to brighten and emit several colors.  Then
it began to move and executed a number of maneuvers (90 degree
turns, zigzag flight, instantaneous starts and stops, etc.)
Then it came to a stop and hovered again."

"The second object then began to fly around for three minutes
like the first object had just finished doing, and then it too
stopped and hovered."

"The two objects remained motionless throughout that day and
through the twilight that was to be their nighttime.  The four
men were afraid, yet nothing happened.  Then, late in the
afternoon of the second day (i.e. January 9, 1956--J.T.) clouds
approached, the altitude of which were known approximately. And
using a theodolite, the altitude of the objects was determined
to be about 24,000 feet (7,275 meters) with each cigar about 450
feet long and 75 feet in diameter."

"One of the men aimed a polarized spotlight at one of the
objects which unexpectedly flashed a bright light in return and
descended in altitude."

"After a 'long pause,' it rose again to its original position
and stopped.  Then it conducted 'another fantastic sky dance.'
Its velocity was measured at 40,000 kilometers per hour (24,000
miles per hour) starting from a dead stop.  The objects
eventually disappeared from view because of the clouds that came
in."  (See Flying Saucer Review volume 14, number 3, March-April
1968 issue, article by Gordon Creighton, page 20.  See also
L.D.A. Press, Los Altos, California, 1994, pages 96 and 97.)


We're off and running for Year Four of our weekly online
newsletter.  And we have some changes at the webpage.

John Hayes has updated the UFO Roundup articles list.  He
installed active links to all of the articles, allowing readers
to go directly to the story they want.  Previously, the link
would drop you off at the beginning of the issue, and you would
have to scroll down to find the article.  John completed this
backbreaking redesign for all 146 issues at the webpage archive.
Let's all give him a round of much-appreciated applause.

Now, to find the article you want, go to this
URL...http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/articles.  And enjoy some great
ufological reading. To readers just joining us, UFO Roundup
welcomes emailed reports.  Send them to us at
Masinaigan@aol.com.  If you are scanning or quoting from a
newspaper article, please be sure to list the name of the
newspaper, the city where it was published, and the date of
issue in which the UFO story appeared. We welcome UFO news
clippings, as well. Please feel free to mail those to our
snail-mail address: UFO Roundup, Box 16, 126 Toll Gate Road,
Warwick, Rhode Island, USA 02886

FUN UFO WEBSITES: UFO Folklore has a photo of that bright UFO
seen over Lago de Chapala in Jalisco state, Mexico last week.
You'll find it at this URL:


Start the New Year off right with a trip to our parent site--UFO
INFO.  Get the latest in news, photos, features and links at
this site, which can be accessed at http://ufoinfo.com Back
issues of UFO Roundup can be read and downloaded at the webpage.
Feel free to drop in at http://ufoinfo.com/roundup

Sixty-four years ago, on January 8, 1935, Elvis Aaron Presley
was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. The pop singer popularly known
as "the King" died at his home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee
on August 17, 1977.  Nine years afterward--to the very
day--August 17, 1986, Elvis was seen standing in the checkout
line at a Burger King in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  This was the
first in an ongoing series of "Elvis sightings" that have
continued to the present day.

We'll be back next week with more saucer news from around the
planet, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
Roundup."  See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1999 by Masinaigan Productions, all
rights reserved.  Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup
on their websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com