UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1999 > Jan > Jan 12

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 2

From: Masinaigan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:00:26 +0000
Fwd Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:45:34 -0500
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 2

Volume 4, Number 2
January 11, 1999
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     On Wednesday, January 6, 1999, World Net Daily
revealed that the USA Department of Defense (DOD)
and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
are planning for a nationwide practice mobilization of
Army National Guard troops on May 1, 1999.
     Under the code name Exercise COMEX/MOBEX 99,
the planned alert will call up all 480,000 National Guard
troops in the USA's fifty states and four territories.
     In peacetime, a state's National Guard remains under
the command of the state's governor.  But in time of war,
the National Guard becomes part of the U.S. Army.
     COMEX/MOBEX will be the biggest deployment of
National Guard troops in nearly sixty years.  The last
full mobilization occurred in June 1940, when President
Franklin D. Roosevelt mobilized the entire National Guard
in preparation for American involvement in World War II.
     According to David M. Bresnahan of World Net Daily,
"The National Guard is planning its first national mobilization
of troops since 1940 in preparation of civil unrest relating
to the Y2K Millenium Bug.  The National Guard Bureau in
Washington is currently formulating plans for a mobilization
test in conjunction with FEMA."
     "The plan, as it is now being described, will be a full
mobilization of all 480,000 members of the National Guard
in all 54 states and territories.  Exercise COMEX/MOBEX
will be conducted without telephone, radio and television to
get the word to all Guard members."
     "'This will be a simulated COMM-out,' explained another
member of the group."  DOD and FEMA will assume that
the Y2K problem has paralyzed electronic communications
nationwide.  Direct contact means will be used to round
up the National Guard members.  By the end of the three-
day exercise, they hope to have all National Guard units
at an effective manpower strength of 95 percent.
     Bresnahan's story was also confirmed by "a C2
(Command and Control) officer at the National Guard
Bureau in Washington," who said, "This is going to happen.
They are currently working on Public Affairs Guidance."
     On Thursday, January 7, 1999, a document appeared
in USENET which seemed to confirm preparations for
a nationwide military response to possible Y2K civil
unrest after January 1, 2000.
     The document appears to have originated in the
Office of General Administration, Commandant,
Naval Reserve Forces, U.S. Navy under the title
REF/A/DOC/COMNAVRESFOR/960301 and refers
to a Navy Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer
(NEPLO) program.
     The NEPLO document stated that "senior Naval
Reserve officers" with the rank of Captain or Commander
were needed "to support Navy commanders in
implementing their responsibilities under the National
Security Emergency Preparedness and Military Support
to Civil Authority programs."  Eligible officers are
invited to volunteer for billets (posts) still available
in the NEPLO program.
     Naval Reserve officers were asked to send in their
short cover letter, current mailing address, service
record, copies of their last three fitness reports, current
official photograph and a short biography of their
civilian career experience.  A Navy Selection Board will
begin reviewing the applications on July 1, 1999.
     Surprisingly, NEPLO billets will have a duration of
three years, beginning in 2000 and ending in 2003.
     Open NEPLO billets are still available at the
Department of Defense; FEMA offices in Philadelphia,
Atlanta, Kansas City, San Diego and Denton, Texas;
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska; Fort Richardson,
Arkansas; Springfield, Illinois; Reading, Massachusetts;
Helena, Montana; Raleigh, North Carolina; Carson City,
Nevada; Austin, Texas; Richmond, Virginia; and
San Juan, Puerto Rico.
     In September 1996, the U.S. Army Reserve Command
was restructured to bring it into alignment with FEMA,
making it easier for FEMA to control military units during
a national emergency.  The old Army Reserve Commands
(ARCOMS) were abolished and replaced by ten Regional
Support Commands (RSCs), which conform to the
Standard Federal Regions (SFRs) used by FEMA.
Also, there are three Regional Support Groups, based at
Fort Jackson, South Carolina, Fort Benjamin Harrison,
Indiana and San Antonio, Texas, which also collaborate
with FEMA in times of emergency.  (See World Net Daily
for January 6, 1999.  Many thanks to UFOSSI for
forwarding the news article.)
(Editor's Comment:  The biggest military mobilization
since 1940, and what's on the front page of the New
York Times?  The continuing adventures of Dr. Jekyll
and Rep. Hyde, also known as the Love Story of the
90s--When Bubba Met Tubba.  And they wonder why
people are tuning out the Establishment media.  Don't
go away, folks.  There are more Y2K shockers to come.)


     On Wednesday, January 6, 1999, British TV viewers
watching a segment on Nick McCamley's new book,
when host Peter Morgan and journalist Douglas
Campbell showed up on the doorstep of a secret NATO
underground base in Wiltshire, eight miles (13 kilometers)
east of Bath.
     Morgan and Campbell discovered the top-secret
facility at Corsham, Wilts.  The huge underground base,
known as the Corsham Computer Centre (CCC), costs
billions of pounds sterling and was reportedly constructed
as a "black project" by the Ministry of Defence (MoD)
without the knowledge and approval of Parliament.
     The facility is located at the end of Peel Circus,
described as "an area of clipped lawns and landscaping
designed to look like a patch of suburbia."
     According to Gerry Lovell of Far Shores, Morgan
and Campbell "attempted to make contact with a
security building" at the bottom of a stairwell that
had been built right into the hill.  "Almost stunned silence
greeted their opening question...namely that CCC was
in fact the UK Government's nuclear command center...
The men at the other end replied only that the location
was a (Royal) Navy administration site and declined
further comment."
     During the Nineteenth Century, Corsham was the
site of a stone quarry, and there are said to be
extensive tunnels in that section of Wiltshire.  One
tunnel, Lovell added, links Corsham with the nearby
village of Hawthorn, also the site of RAF base at
Rudloe Manor.
(Editor's Note: Until recently, Rudloe Manor was the
headquarters of the RAF's Provost and Security
Services, claimed by some to be the kingdom's
central UFO monitoring unit.  Provost and Security
Services is now located at RAF Henlow.)
     The TV program also revealed that NATO had
built an underground facility similar to Corsham on
Mount Penteli in Greece, 50 kilometers (30 miles)
north of Athens. (Many thanks to Gerry Lovell of
Far Shores for this report.)
(Editor's Comment: Corsham may be the UK's
command center for Operation Abacus and the
Y2K computer crisis.)


     On Sunday evening, January 3, 1997, Israel's
Millenium Unit swooped down on two villas in
Jerusalem's hilly west end and arrested 14 members
of Concerned Christians, an Evangelical sect from
Lakewood, Colorado, USA.
     "In carefully synchronized raids, dozens of
uniformed and plainclothes police descended on
two spacious homes a mile apart on Jerusalem's
hilly outskirts," in Messaveret Zion and Motza.
     "The group, whose members call themselves
Concerned Christians, did not resist, and police said
they will seek members' deportations."  (See USA
Today for January 4, 1999, "Israeli police detain 14
from Denver cult" by Laura King, page 4A)
     "All 14 Americans, including six children and
three married couples, were arrested Sunday in raids
on two villas near Jerusalem."
     "They were the first people detained by a new
Israeli task force--including members of the Mossad
spy agency--created to deal with possible violence
by doomsday cults and messianic groups in the
Holy Land when millions of tourists arrive for the
2000 millenium celebrations."  (See the New York
Post for January 5, 1999, "Israel sends Denver
doomsday cultists packing," by Uri Dan, page 17)
     The task force--informally known as the
Milleium Unit--included officers of the Jerusalem
police, the Shin Bet security police and the Mossad.
     "Two months ago, Israeli police formed a task
force to deal with the possibility of violence here by
doomsday cults and messianic groups as the turn
of the century approaches."
     "'There is great fear that among the 4 million or so
visitors who are expected to come, there may be some
who have ideas about the end of the world,' said Ehud
Sprinzak, a Hebrew University professor and expert on
religious extremism, who is advising police on the
     "'They are coming to one of the most volatile places
on Earth, and the fear is that if Jesus Christ does not
appear, some of them might try to help the messiah--
according to their perceptions--by starting Armageddon,'
Sprinzak said, 'There is concern that they could try to
start a war between Jews and Arabs.'" (See the
Providence, R.I. Journal for January 4, 1999, "Israel
detains members of U.S. doomsday cult," page A-4)
     "Police said the group had planned to provoke a
millenial shootout by opening fire on the officers,
believing their own deaths in the subsequent
bloodbath would help bring about the second coming
of Christ."
     "'They planned to carry out violent and extreme
acts in the streets of Jerusalem at the end of 1999
to start the process of beinging Jesus back to life,'
said Brig. Gen. Elihu Ben-Onn, the national police
spokesman."  (USA Today, January 4, 1999, ibid.)
     The Concerned Christians, however, denied any
intention of committing crimes.  "I am not here to
hurt anybody, I don't feel I have committed any
conspiracy," said John Bayles of Denver, Colo.,
one of the men arrested.
     Bayles, as well as Terry Smith, 42, of Eagle,
Colo. and Eric Malesic, 36, of Westminster, Colo.,
was taken by the Shin Bet to the prison at
Petah Tikvah and held incommunicado most of
the week.
     On Friday, January 8, 1999, all 14 members
of Concerned Christians were deported.  "Israeli
police escorted the handcuffed Christians to collect
their belongings yesterday before putting them
aboard an early-morning Air Canada flight."  (See
the New York Post for January 9, 1999, "Israel
deports doomsday cult back to Denver," page 12)
     In October 1998, the Concerned Christians,
who are led by Monte Kim Miller, 44, a former
Proctor and Gamble executive turned prophet,
moved from Denver to Jerusalem after Miller
predicted that the Mile-High City would soon be
destroyed by a major earthquake.  (It wasn't--J.T.)
     Like Marshall H. Applewhite, founder of the
Heaven's Gate sect, Miller told followers that he
was one of "the Two," i.e. prophets mentioned in
the Book of Revalation who would announce the
imminent return of Jesus Christ.  Miller "has
prophesied that he will die in Jerusalem in 1999
and be resurrected" three days later.
     The Millenium Unit is continuing its hunt for
other members of Concerned Christians, including
Miller, who is thought to be in Mexico.
     "'The police will continue to work in every legal
way possible to allow for freedom of religion and
ritual in Jerusalem and in Israel for all religions in
the years of the millenium,' said Gen. Yair Yitzrak,
chief commander of the Jerusalem Police District.
'However, we will act firmly against the attempts
of extreme groups to block access to other
Christians in the year 1999.'"
     "In Colorado, relatives of the cult members said
they had expected the arrests."
     "'We knew they were going to deport them a
couple of weeks ago,' said John Weaver of
Lakewood, Colo., whose daughter used to be a
member of the group.  'Israel is trying to set an
example that they don't want these millenial
groups.'" (See the New York Times for January 4,
1999, "Israel arrests 8 cultists who expect
Apocalypse." by Deborah Montag.)
(Editor's Comment:  Perhaps someone can explain
to me the difference between Spain expelling the
Granada Jews in 1492 and Israel expelling the
Colorado Christians in 1999.  I don't expect Israel
to adopt the Bill of Rights.  But an Edict of Nantes
would be nice.  Otherwise, Israel will begin to
resemble more and more the other religion-based
nations in that part of the world--Afghanistan
and Iran.)


     "Something plunged into Lake Parsippany on
Christmas Eve (Thursday, December 24, 1998)
breaking a hole in the ice 75 feet across and
blowing vegetation into the air."
     "Gifts were delivered by morning, so it wasn't
St. Nick and the reindeer buying the farm.  Nor
were any meteor sightings reported, according to
ION Weather meteorologist Bill Cotter."
      "The hole in the ice caught the attention of Joe
Strobel, who lives 150 feet away on a small island
in the lake.  He told a friend about it on Christmas
     "'They were all ready to have me committed to
Greystone (a local mental health facility--J.T.),' said
Strobel, a nine-year resident.  "Then they came
over and they couldn't explain it.  One guy lived here
for 35 years and said he's never seen anything like
     "The green vegetation was blown into the air
and fell in a circle on the surrounding ice, drawing a
flock of hungry Canada geese.  A thin sheet of ice
has since formed on the lake."
     Parsippany, N.J. is located about 20 miles
(32 kilometers) northwest of New York City."
(See the Daily Record of Morris County, N.J. for
December 29, 1998, "75-foot hole appears in
Lake Parsippany" by Erik Engquist.  Many thanks
to "Aiwass" for forwarding the newspaper article.)


     On Wednesday, January 6, 1999, at 3:10 p.m.,
Warren A. and his wife were driving on Tudor Avenue
in Anchorage, Alaska (population 226,338), heading
towards the Chugiach Mountains, when they
spotted something very unusual 15 miles down
the road.
     "My wife and I saw what appeared to be a large
'plane' head straight up and then level off at a high
rate of speed," Warren reported, adding that they
"could make out its general shape (larger than a
commercial airliner at approximately the same
distance), which was a silver reflective triangle.  It
appeared that the (condensation) trail went from
two streams to four at an indeterminable altitude.
We watch the fighters out of Elmendorf (air force
base--J.T.) all the time.  This was like nothing we've
ever seen before."
     "This was no small aircraft.  This was almost
shuttle-sized.  And since we were heading straight
towards it, we were able to make out details more
clearly," he added.
     Several other Anchorage residents also
witnessed the strange launch.
     A woman and her two daughters saw the enigmatic
craft from Aurora Village.  "We watched the large smoke
trail in the sky and stared at the object until it was out
of sight."
     Two men driving on Minnesota Avenue saw it from
the intersection at Huffman.  "We saw a large smoke
trail and a shiny object.  We thought it was an ICBM."
     An elderly woman living on Muldoon Road happened
to look out her window at 3:10 p.m.  "I saw it leave the
ground," she reported.
     Two teenagers walking home from Service High
School on Abbott Road said they saw "two shiny
objects" which they described as "saucer-shaped."
(Email Interview)


     On Tuesday, December 29, 1998, Sami C. was
driving through Casper, Wyoming (population 46,742)
when she saw a strange light in the sky.
     The UFO, Sami reported, "approached from the
northwest.  I would have to say it was 45 degrees"
above the horizon.  "I could not see the shape.  The
light was too bright.  It was totally quiet.  There was
no sound at all around us."
     As Sami watched, the luminous UFO "went up
and down, then left and right, very fast-like.  I had
it in sight for around 10 minutes.  It departed to
the southwest, I think.  All I can say is, it moved
pretty fast."
     Sami added that a woman in the car
immediately behind hers also saw the light.
     Casper, Wyo. is located 180 miles (300 kilometers)
northwest of Cheyenne, the state capital.  (Email


     On Thursday, December 31, 1998, at 7:30 p.m.,
a woman decided to take her dog for a walk in a
residential neighborhood in Mt. Healthy, Ohio
(population 7,580), a suburb located 13 miles
(21 kilometers) north of Cincinnati.
     As she strolled along, the witness "reported
seeing a large stationary object with a 'very bright'
steady white light in what she said looked to be a
circular pattern.  As she watched, the small white
light detached itself and flew away" through a
partly cloudy sky.
     The following evening, Friday, January 1, 1999,
at 5:45 p.m., "after exiting (Interstate Highway)
I-275 onto Hamilton Avenue, Mr. H. and his mother
witnessed another unusual object in the sky near
their home.  Mr. H described the object as three
steady bright white lights in a triangular formation
with another light at the center.  It appeared to be
stationary and about 500 feet in altitude."
     "'It was larger than a plane,' Mr. H asserted.
As they watched, the center light detached itself and
flew a short distance before the object disappeared
behind some trees.  A small plane with a blinking red
light had also been observed above the object before
they were all lost to view.  Mr. H said that he had the
impression that the object was shaped somewhat
like a B-1 bomber, but he was unable to explain the
light he saw 'drop off.'"  (Many thanks to Charles
Stuart and Kenneth Young of Cincinnati UFO
Research for this news story.)


     On Thursday, December 31, 1998, at 11:30 p.m.,
residents of Narooma, a port city in New South
Wales, Australia approximately 300 kilometers
(180 miles) south of Sydney, watched a dazzling
UFO display in the night sky.
     Witnesses described "three yellow/orange
very large lights in triangular formation" moving through
the sky south of Narooma.  "They appeared to be
travelling slowly from west to east, or left to right as
they witnesses were looking south."
     "After five minutes in formation, the middle light
moved to the right and" between the other two "so
that they were all travelling in a horizontal line.  A
minute or so later, the middle light dropped sharply
and then radically moved upward and downward.
The left light slowly dropped and seemed gradually
to disappear...The lights seemed too large and
close together to be an aeroplane."
     On Saturday, January 2, 1999, at 8 p.m., "a bright
orange square or plug-shaped object with a shape
tapering at each end" was seen by residents of
Portsea, Victoria, 80 kilometers (50 miles) southeast
of Melbourne.  "It was seen almost standing still in the
sky for a while.  It appeared to be heading toward
Port Phillip Bay."  (Many thanks to Ross Dowe of
Australasian National Space Information Hotline
for these reports.)

from the UFO Files...

          NEW ZEALAND

     Thirty-four years ago, on January 12, 1965, a
DC-3 transport plane took off from Whenuapai,
New Zealand for a flight to Kaitaia.  As the
twin-engined propellor plane flew over Kaipara
Harbour, a broad estuary 100 kilometers
(60 miles) northwest of Auckland, the pilot,
Captain Kirkpatrick, spotted an unusual gleam
in the water below--an unidentified submerged
object or USO.
     "He was about one-third of the way across
Kaipara Harbour when he saw what he at first
believed to be a stranded gray-white whale in an
     "As he veered his DC-3 for a closer look at the
object, it became evident to him that he was
observing a metallic structure of some sort."
     Captain Kirkpatrick "noted that the thing was
perfectly streamlined and symmetrical in shape...
had no external control surfaces or protrusions...
appeared metallic with the suggestion of a hatch
on top...was resting on the bottom of the estuary
and headed toward the south as suggested by the
streamlined shape...was harbored in no more than
30 feet of water...was not shaped like a normal
submarine but approximately 100 feet in length
with a diameter of 15 feet at its widest part."
     After he filed his flight report, the Royal New
Zealand Navy told Captain Kirkpatrick "that it would
have been impossible for any known model of
submarine to have been in that particular area,
due to the configuration of harbour and coastline."
(See the New Zealand magazine Spaceview, issue
number 43 for 1965.  See also ATLANTIS RISING
by Brad Steiger, Dell Books, New York, N.Y., 1973,
page 99.)

     If you want to read David M. Bresnahan's full story
about Exercise COMEX/MOBEX, you'll find it at
     Scott Carr of WBAI-FM Radio in New York City
has made some changes to his Flying Saucer Gazette.
Check them out at http://www.erols.com/sardonica/
sardonica.  UFO Roundup readers in the Big Apple
and vicinity can listen to WBAI on 99.5 FM.
     Ken Green has done it again.  This longtime reader
has turned our newsletter into an interactive computer
game.  You've got to try out his UFO Roundup Word
Search Puzzles.  You'll find it at http://www.jps.net/
ken26/roundup.htm.  As for me, I'll have to start
seriously hitting Roget's Thesaurus and improve
my vocabulary!
     Gordon Speer has a load of UFO books for sale.
For a list and prices, check out his site at this URL:
     Don't miss our parent site, UFOINFO.  John
Hayes has a vast array of news stories, features,
links and brand-new photographs for your viewing
pleasure.  Drop in any time at http://ufoinfo.com
     Back issues of UFO Roundup can be read,
accessed and downloaded from our webpage.
Look us up at http://ufoinfo.com/roundup

     That's it for this week.  Join us in seven days
for more saucer news from around the planet,
brought to you by "the paper that goes home--
UFO Roundup."  See you then!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1999 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
items from UFO Roundup on their websites or in
newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter
and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the news item appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com