UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1999 > Jan > Jan 19

-=[For The Record]=- Mantell - Redux

From: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:24:26 -0500
Fwd Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:24:26 -0500
Subject: -=[For The Record]=- Mantell - Redux

Source: http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/v01/rnd01_02.shtml

Volume 1, Number 2. February 26, 1996
Editor: Masinaigan


Last week's "Sightings" had an interview with former Army
sergeant Quinton A. Blackwell, who was in the tower at Godman
Field, Fort Knox, Kentucky the afternoon of January 7, 1948,
when Captain Thomas F. Mantell had his fatal encounter with a

During his meeting with Capt. Mantell's two sons and sister,
Blackwell made a startling statement. He said that once Capt.
Mantell had the large metallic saucer in sight, the pilot
remarked, "We're going to need hot guns."

"Hot guns" is Air Force slang for aircraft weaponry loaded with
live ammunition. The five F-51 Mustang fighter planes were on a
routine ferry flight from Georgia to Godman Field that day and
were not armed with .50 caliber machine guns.

Right after Capt. Mantell said it, Lt. Clements flew his
Mustang, NG800, back to the field. Here it was loaded with
machine guns, hardball and tracer ammo and took off again at
3:30 p.m., hoping to rendezvous with Capt. Mantell and the UFO.
However, by the time Lt. Clements reached the town of Franklin,
Capt. Mantell's Mustang, NG869, had crashed.

There is no mention of "hot guns" in Sgt. Blackwell's original
January 7, 1948 report, which was included in Project Blue Book
and declassified in 1975.

Also Blackwell told Mantell's relatives that an unnamed
brigadier general was present in the tower during the pursuit of
the UFO. Possibly this was the commanding general (CG) at Fort

For readers unfamiliar with the case, here is a chronology of
the events that day.

1:45 p.m. - The Kentucky State Police barracks at Elizabethtown
phones the M.P.s at Fort Knox, reporting the presence of the

1:50 p.m. - Sgt. Blackwell and PFC Stanley Oliver spot the UFO
on the tower's radar set. Taking a pair of binoculars, Sgt.
Blackwell looks out the tower's south window. He sees a silvery
saucer with a small dome on top flying slowly past the airfield.

2:00 p.m. - Lt. Orner arrives at the tower, looks through the
binoculars, confirms the visual sightings of Blackwell and
Oliver, and gets on the hot phone.

2:20 p.m. - Capt. Gary W. Carter, operations officer, and
Colonel Guy F. Hix, commanding officer at Godman Field, arrive
at the tower and confirm the sighting.

2:30 p.m. - Unaware of what's going on at the field, Tommy
Mantell and his flight arrive over Fort Knox. Mantell asks for
permission to land. Col. Hix tells Sgt. Blackwell to send the
five-man flight after the UFO.

2:35 p.m. - Mantell begins his powered climb, heading southwest.
One man in the squadron complains, "Where are we off to now?"
Mantell replies, "New mission, gentlemen. Observation and
report. This won't take too long."

2:40 p.m. - Mantell reports visual sighting of the UFO. He
engages in a running dialogue with Blackwell back at the tower.

2:45 p.m. - Mantell reports, "It's ahead and above me...still

(About this time "hot guns" were mentioned, and Lt. Clements
turned back to Godman Field.)

3:00 p.m. - The flight reaches 15,000 feet. Lacking oxygen
equipment, Lt. Hendricks in NG336 and Lt. Hammond in NG737 break
off pursuit. Describing the UFO, Mantell says, "It appears
metallic and of tremendous size."

3:15 p.m. - Mantell says, "It's still climbing...object is above
and ahead about my speed (345 mph) or faster...I'm trying to
close in for a better look."

3:20 p.m. - The two planes reach 20,000 feet. Mantell's wingman
breaks off the pursuit. The UFO is heading for the Tennessee
state line. Still in hot pursuit, Mantell radios the tower..."it
appears like the reflection of sunlight on a canopy."

3:30 p.m. - Godman Field tower loses radio contact with NG869.

3:35 p.m. - While waiting for her school bus, Barbara Mayes, age
9, a student at Franklin Grade School, sees a "bright explosion"
in the sky.

3:45 p.m. - Mrs. Philips hears the crash at her home on the farm
of Joseph Philips in Franklin. Mantell's plane crashed in a
field 200 yards from the house.

3:50 p.m. - Eyewitness Addie Wilson saw the UFO leaving the
area. "It seemed to be at a high altitude and having an
aluminum-like surface. It didn't look like any balloon I've ever

Now that Sgt. Blackwell has come forward, let's use the Freedom
of Information Act to declassify Colonel Guy F. Hix's report to
the commanding general at Fort Knox and the general's report to
the Air Defense Command at Mitchell Field, Hempstead, Long
Island, N.Y. We want full disclosure in the Mantell case.

[End of Article]

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com