UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1999 > Jan > Jan 25

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 4

From: Joe Trainor <Masinaigan@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:32:28 +0000
Fwd Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:07:16 -0500
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 4, Number 4

Volume 4, Number 4
January 25, 1998
Editor: Joseph Trainor


Chupacabra struck again in Guanica, P.R. on Tuesday, January 12,
1999, killing 10 chickens and two ducks.

The incident occurred in a backyard poultry pen in the Laguna
section of Guanica, a town on Puerto Rico's south shore
approximately 23 miles (37 kilometers) west of Ponce.

"Ten chickens and two ducks were found dead in their pen. Ada
Figueroa, a local resident, told the EFE news agency that the
ducks, owned by her husband Heliberto Figueroa, and the
chickens, property of her neighbor Cruz Luco, were found with
two puncture marks on their bodies Tuesday, January 12."

"Mrs. Figueroa pointed out that the animals had been in securely
locked pens and that it was remarkable that her dogs had barked
incessantly all night. She briskly asserted that Edwin Luco, the
mayor of Guanica, had visited the site to see the dead animals
for himself. The marks were very similar to those which had been
reported on the bodies of other mutilated animals whose owners
claim were victims of the Chupacabra--the strange, furtive,
crimson-eyed entity who propelled Canovanas mayor Jose 'Chemo'
Soto to stardom." (See the newspaper El Nuevo Dia of San Juan,
P.R. for January 13, 1999, "Further Adventures of 'El
Chupacabras.'" Many thanks to Scott Corrales, author of


On Tuesday, January 19, 1999, at 10 p.m., Raymond Petry was on
Punaohu Street in the Makiki section of Honolulu, Hawaii when he
"saw a blue-green fireball move quickly from approximately
southeast to the south."

Despite the "partially puffy cloud cover over the city," Petry
was looking eastward when he spotted the fireball. It was "much
slower than a meteor--it seemed to linger at the end." A
luminous glow surrounded the object, "just a fuzzy
brightness--about two to three times the thickness of the

He first saw the fireball in the "southeast about 10 o'clock
high" and it moved to "about 11 o'clock left of the Punaohu
Street center line, which according to Bryan Maps there runs
about 40 degrees west of south." He also reported "just the
slight meandering above and below the city-top horizon."

"It did not extinguish before it moved below the visible
horizon," he added, "The trees below obscured it." (Email


On Friday, January 1, 1999, at 8 p.m., Massimo G., his wife
Angela and two friends were relaxing just outside their rented
tourist camper in Barrano, a suburb of Lima, the capital of
Peru, when they noticed "a dazzling flash of light" in the east,
over the mountains of the Cordillera Occidental.

"I found myself in the Peruvian capital for a family reason,"
Massimo reported. "My wife Angela was born in Peru and emigrated
to Genoa. With several friends, we rented a camper for our tour
of the Andes. At 8 p.m., we caught a glimpse of a flash that
illuminated the tops of the mountains, a burst of light as
bright as the sun. We were at our camper in the suburb of
Barrano (about 5 kilometers or 3 miles northwest of Lima's Plaza
de San Martin--J.T.), observing the approach of this descending
light. We compared it to an intense molten light, of oval form,
which maneuvered above the crest of the mountains, speedily and
in a jerky motion--up, down, right, left, etc."

"At first we thought it was an airplane, but it continued to
follow these strange patterns. Neither myself nor my wife nor
the two friends who were with us could interpret this phenomenon
in a logical fashion. The luminous form performed there aerial
maneuvers for another 20 seconds. I would estimate that it was
perhaps three kilometers away (to the east--J.T.)." (See La Rete
#42 for January 15, 1999. Muchas gracias a Alfredo Lissoni para
eso caso.)

(Editor's Comment: Curiously enough, this UFO turned up on the
44th anniversary of Peru's most famous encounter. On January 1,
1955, eight silver discs slowly flew over the Plaza de Armas and
Avenida Nicolas de Pierrola in Lima and were seen by hundreds of


On Saturday, January 9, 1999, at 12:35 a.m., Bethany J. and her
companion were in a car on a recently-paved road close to Chapel
of the Cross off Highway 463 near Canton, Mississippi.

"It was raining slightly," Bethany reported, "We had been
sitting in the car for a little over an hour when the event
occurred. The car windows were completely fogged over."

"My eyes happened to be closed. I saw through my lids a sudden
flash of light. Through my closed eyes, all I could see was a
huge, extremely bright red circle with a yellow ring around it
and a few more colors in between the red and yellow."

"My companion's eyes were wide open. He saw a red, then white
flash of light the width of a car. There was no sound or visible
damage. The light irritated my eyes and temporarily impaired his
vision. We started the car and left immediately."

An hour later, Bethany added, "My eyes were still irritated."

Canton (population 10,062) is on Mississippi Highway 16 about 20
miles (32 kilometers) north of Jackson, the state capital. (Many
thanks to Michael J. Long of Mississippi UFO Files for this


On Sunday, January 17, 1999, a woman who lives near Avenue M and
the Sierra Highway in Palmdale, California (population 68,842)
stepped outside of her home and sighted a UFO hovering nearby.

The sighting took place a little after 7 p.m. The witness said
she "saw a very bright white light," which was "coming from an
object hovering above a cleaning business."

"It was saucer-shaped with a dome on top and also had red and
blue lights associated with it," she added, "A blue and gold
aura hung around the object as it hovered silently."

The case was investigated that same evening by William J.
Hamilton, executive director of Skywatch International. Hamilton
reported that he "arrived at Sierra Highway around 8:30 p.m."
with his videocamera and "stationed myself near the end of the
runway near Air Force Plant 42 and Lockheed." However, he added
that he "did not detect anything unusual."

Returning home, Hamilton spoke to the witness on the telephone.
"She said her neighbor saw the object initially and pointed it
out to her. She said it hovered very low near a building 800
feet from her, and she had seen nothing like it before."

Palmdale is on Highway 14 about 50 miles (80 kilometers) north
of Los Angeles. (Many thanks to Bill Hamilton of Skywatch
International for this news story.)


On Friday, January 8, 1999, a mysterious sonic boom rattled
central Delaware. Calls poured into police agencies from Dover
(27,630), the state capital, and nearby towns, including Lebanon
(population 400), Camden (population 1,899) and Wyoming
(population 977).

"No one is quite sure what caused the sonic boom that shook the
Kent County area on January 8. An aircraft of unknown origin
shot through the sky at supersonic speeds, causing walls to
shake and windows to rattle. Numerous phone calls flooded local
police offices demanding answers."

"According to 1st Lt. Dale Westover (USAF), spokesman for the
Dover Air Force Base, 'Nearby air stations and bases have been
contacted in regards to the aircraft, where it came from and why
it was flying so low, but no one will take responsibility for
the aircraft."

"'We're not sure what it was, but it wasn't one of our C-5s,'
said Airman 1st Class C. Todd Lopez of the 436th Airlift Wing"
office of Public Affairs.

The flyover occurred at 6:45 p.m. Inquiries were sent to the
Patuxent Naval Air Station in Maryland, to Andrews Air Force
Base in Maryland and to the Air National Guard in Atlantic City,
New Jersey. (See the State News of Dover, Del. for January 9,
1999, "Sonic boom is super mystery" by Bruce K. Ford. Many
thanks to Gerry Lovell of Far Shores for forwarding this
newspaper article.)


On Sunday, January 17, 1999, at 8:15 a.m., Harry Welsh, 42, and
two friends were near the beach in Millisle, County Down,
Northern Ireland, near Ballywalter, when they spotted a saucer
flying offshore. Instantly Harry lifted his videocamera and
began shooting.

He got "30 to 35 seconds of footage" of the "disc-shaped object
over the Irish Sea, flying in a northwesterly direction at (an
altitude of) 1,500 to 2,000 feet. Conditions were very good,
very little high cloud."

Harry's videotape shows "a mysterious saucer-shaped object
shooting across the sky... Appears to be four to five miles
away, heading in a northwesterly direction. Speed hard to
judge," adding that the object stopped a few times "before
disappearing at very high speed."

Alan Sewell of the Centre of Irish UFO Studies said, "I am very
excited. It looks very convincing. It is not a conventional
aircraft. It's unidentified."

James Patterson, 45, of Ballynure, County Antrim, who captured a
UFO on video two years ago, had this comment: "There will appear
to be similarities with what I saw."

Harry Welsh said, "I've been flooded with requests from TV
companies and UFO enthusiasts. I'm glad at the response because
I want to know what it is, too." (See the British newspaper Sun
for January 18, 1999. Many thanks to Alan Sewell of the Centre
for Irish UFO Studies for forwarding the newspaper article.)


On Saturday, January 9, 1999, at 10:30 p.m., a teenaged boy
returning home in Cava dei Tirreni spotted "a black discoidal
object" hovering above some houses. The saucer, he reported,
"had a diameter estimated at 10 meters (33 feet), emitted no
sound,and showed no lights or colors of any kind. It circled
twice over the town before flying away."

On Monday, January 11, 1999, at 7:20 p.m., a fireball appeared
in the sky over the city of Bologna, 300 kilometers (180 miles)
north of Rome. "The UFO crossed the sky for 15 seconds in a
southeasterly direction." Witnesses telephoned the Carabineri
(Italian police--J.T.) and the control tower at Marconi
International Airport. Tower personnel said there was nothing on

On Monday, January 18, 1999, at 5:30 p.m., a UFO appeared over
Trescastagni, a town on the island of Sicily, described by
witnesses as "a luminous object that crossed the sky going from
the west to the south."

"The group spotted the object near the peaks of Tre Monti on the
outskirts of Trecastagni and took note of the luminous trail
rising in the west. It crossed the sky, lighting up the clouds
like the last burst of sunshine and then went in a southerly
direction. Some witnesses spoke of one object with three lights
and a luminous molten glow. Others spoke of a trio of luminous
objects proceeding in formation. The object reportedly zigzagged
and its speed was too excessive for it to be a conventional
jet." (See the Italian newspaper La Sicilia for January 19,
1999, "Oggetto volante avvistato a Trescastagni." Grazie a
Gianfranco Degli Esposti e Alfredo Lissoni di Centro Nazionale
Ufologico per questi rapporti.)


More UFO reports flooded in recently from various regions of

On Monday, December 21, 1998, Rajendra Kumur reported sighting a
UFO near Kulgera, Northern Territory. "I saw a bright orange
oval-shaped object 10 kilometers (6 miles) southwest of Kulgera,
N.T. It was moving around slowly. It had red, yellow and orange
lights on it. The object seemed to be getting brighter, then
dimmer a little at a time. We watched it for around an hour."

On Saturday, January 16, 1999, Joseph M., 33, was working the
night shift at a cotton farm near Bolloon, Queensland, 400
kilometers (240 miles) southwest of Brisbane, when he spotted a

"I was on night shift Saturday, driving a tractor out in the
cotton fields," Joseph reported. "I turned the tractor around to
the west when I saw this bright yellow light. It was oblong
shape, size of a shirt button at arm's length. At first I
thought it was a plane with a bright light, so I kept working,
not paying much attention to it for a further five minutes. I
turned the tractor around again and saw that the lights were
still there. So I turned off the tractor to see if I could hear
any engine noise. No sound or hum. I climbed out of the cab to
get a better look, then the light moved at great speed to the
right and stopped. It did it a second time."

"I thought, Wow! That's no plane. So I got back in the cab and
bolted the doors. I just sat there watching it. The object
started to change from a bright yellow to two lights,
bluish-purple, about a meter (3 feet, 3 inches) apart. It was as
though they were not attached in the middle because you could
see between them. They both started to move very quickly, then I
lost them."

Asked how he felt about the encounter, Joseph replied, "Bloody
scared! I never believed in UFOs before, but now I suppose I'll
have to."

On Tuesday, January 19, 1999, at 8:03 p.m., a group of young
people at Old Bar Beach in Taree, New South Wales, about 300
kilometers (180 miles) north of Sydney, reported seeing "a lot
of white lights moving around in all directions."

At 9:33 p.m., they again phoned the UFO hotline and said, "We're
looking at the lights, and now they're forming an arch in the
sky. It's really scary. We have to go. We're leaving the beach."

Australian ufologist Diane Harrison telephoned the police and
asked if the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) was holding night
maneuvers. The police dispatcher reportedly answered, "Yes, we
have had quite a few phone calls from as far away as Port
Macquarie about orange balls of light in the sky," adding that
"it was just the RAAF dropping flares."

Ms. Harrison then phoned RAAF Williamstown and asked if they
were holding night exercises. She was told "No, ma'am, we are
not." (Many thanks to Diane Harrison of UFO Australasian Hotline
for these reports.)


On Monday, January 11, 1999, the spacecraft Cassini, bound for
Saturn, suddenly and inexplicably went into "safe mode."

The $3.4 billion spacecraft, expected to arrive at Saturn in
2004, "went into so-called 'safe mode' when it detected a
potential problem...The probe sensed a possible problem on
Monday, triggering a program designed to halt non-critical
activity. The spacecraft began using minimum power and putting
its 12-foot (3.5 meter) antenna forward to shade the rest of the

"Program manager Bob Mitchell said engineering data from the
spacecraft are being transmitted to Earth to help engineers
discover what caused Cassini to go into safe mode."

"JPL (NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory--J.T.) engineers suspect
that during a tracking maneuver, Cassini's star scanner may have
scanned a patch of space without the bright stars the spacecraft
uses to orient itself in space."

"Mitchell said he expected Cassini would be taken out of safe
mode later this week after the problem has been identified and
the data thoroughly analyzed."

Cassini is now on its way to Venus for its second rendezvous
with that planet. After that, it will pass close to Earth to
pick up the momentum needed for its flight into the outer solar
system. (See the Miami Herald for January 14, 1999, "Saturn-
bound spacecraft has problem." Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr.
for forwarding this article.)

(Editor's Comment: Here we go again. Three weeks ago, the Near
Earth Asteroid Rendezvous (NEAR) spacecraft mysteriously hopped
into safe mode for no explainable reason. Now it's Cassini.
Perhaps the spacecraft radars are reacting to the close approach
of a meteor...or a UFO.)

from the UFO Files...


"Until Justin 'Judd' Phelps, resident of St. Charles (Idaho),
disclosed his 1972 sightings, the Bigfoot phenomenon had not
been reported outside of the Pacific Northwest. Phelps, a
lineman-engineer on the Union Pacific Railroad, claims to have
seen the creature in the depths of a canyon near St. Charles on
January 2, 1972."

"His (Bigfoot's) tracks were similar to a bear's but slimmer and
about a size 13 in length. They sunk about a foot into the snow.
Each time the creature was sighted, it stamped its feet and
shook its head like a child in anger. Measured against a
nine-foot (2.7 meter) tree, it measured six feet (1.8 meters)

"In hopes of catching a glimpse of the creature again, on
January 2, 1972, Phelps left his St. Charles home on a snow
machine and arrived at the place of his previous sighting around
noon. It was bitter cold, so he built a fire."

"He had been there about two hours and the fire was getting hot,
so he decided to put a little snow on the fire and then he got a
feeling that he was being watched."

"It was between 1:30 and 2 p.m. He looked up from where he had
been resting, stretched on his snow machine, and saw just 100
yards away, an ape-like creature with grayish-brown hair
returning his gaze."

"It was standing by a young pine tree, and when it saw Phelps
look his way, it waved its arms and stomped its feet and headed
for the deeper woods."

"The first time Phelps saw the creature it frightened him and he
fired above its head."

"This time, however, he spoke soothingly to it and attempted to
take a picture. When he pulled the self-developing (Polaroid)
film from the camera, there was no figure on the scene, possibly
because he had an older-model camera and his hands had been
shaking while attempting to capture the creature on film."

"Upon investigating the spot where he had seen the creature, he
found tracks which had sunk about a foot (30 centimeters) into
the loose snow. The snow at the site was six to eight feet deep,
about two feet being new snow. He did not follow the trail."

"Phelps tried two days later to make contact with the creature
again but was unsuccessful." (See FLICKERING MEMORIES: FOLKLORE
IN THE BEAR LAKE VALLEY, Volume 2, by Bonnie Thompson, Printers
Inc., Salt Lake City, Utah, 1977, pages 59 and 60.)

(Editor's Note: Bear Lake, which straddles the state line
between Utah and Idaho, is also the home of a Loch Ness-type
plesiosaur, which has been seen sporadically during the past two
hundred years. St. Charles, Idaho is the boyhood home of Gutzon
Borglum, the sculptor who carved Mount Rushmore.)


Don't forget to visit our parent site, UFO INFO, which has the
latest in UFO news, feature stories, photos, videos and links.
It's easy to reach. Just set your browser for http://ufoinfo.com

Back issues of UFO Roundup can be accessed, read and downloaded
at our webpage. Check us out at http://ufoinfo.com/roundup

Well, that's it for this week. Is everybody ready for the Blue
Moon? According to Charles Fort, things really get strange
during a Blue Moon. It will be interesting to see what news
items arrive on our editorial doorstep this week.

We'll be back in seven days with more UFO news from around the
planet, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
Roundup." See you then.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1999 by Masinaigan Productions, all
rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on
their websites or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and list the date of issue in
which the item first appeared.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com