UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2005 > May > May 18

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 20

From: John Hayes <John.nul>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:27:25 +0100
Fwd Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:48:52 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 20

Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


Volume 10, Number 20
May 18, 2005
Editor: Joseph Trainor

E-mail: Masinaigan.nul
Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      A mysterious electronic object, attached to an orange
parachute, descended from the sky, alarming residents of
Augusta Street in Martinsville, Virginia (population
      "It was a long afternoon for safety officials in
Henry County," located in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains
just north of the state line with North Carolina.
      On Thursday, May 12, 2005, "officers from six
different agencies responded to a call in Henry County
about a 'mysterious object' falling from the sky into a
residential backyard."
      "The UFO, described as a small, orange-colored
parachute attached to an electronic device, first hit the
roof of a house on Augusta Street" in Martinsville, Va.
"before coming to rest on the ground."
      "The homeowner, concerned that the object might be an
explosive device, contacted police."
      "Once officers from the Henry County Sheriff's
Office, the Martinsville Police Department, Henry County
Department of Public Safety, Dyer Stone Volunteer Fire
Department and the (federal) Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
and Firearms (BATF) arrived, the object didn't stay
unidentified for long."
      "Authorities at the scene were able to determine the
item was a device released by the National Weather
Service, used for transmitting weather reports."
      "Joseph Freeman Jr. had just returned to his Henry
County home when he noticed an orange material on the
roof.  He pulled the object down and that's when he saw a
brick-sized box with electronics in it on the ground.  The
object might have looked like a slice of alien life to
some people.  Or, even worse, a homemade bomb on the verge
of detonation."
      "Reality was far less ominous.  The mystery object
turned out to be a device used to transmit weather data to
the National Weather Service."
      "Freeman, 77, was returning home from walking Mattie,
his bloodhound, when he discovered the mysterious object
about noon Thursday," May 12, 2005, "on the roof of his
house in eastern Henry County."
      "'I really didn't know what it was,' Freeman said,
'It looked like a bomb, but I didn't think it was a
      "He went inside to get his wife, who suffers from
diabetes, out of bed.  Virgie Freeman, 79, didn't know
what to make of it, either.  Two of the neighbors came
over to see what the commotion was and recommended they
call police."
      "The devices--called radiosondes--are released twice
a day at 92 National Weather Service sites, including one
in Blacksburg, Va., meteorologist William Perry said.
Radiosondes have been used for more than 60 years.
Radiosondes are really expendable instrument packages
attached to a helium balloon, Perry said. They rise 1,000
feet (300 meters) per minute and measure (air) pressure,
relative humidity, temperature and wind."
      Martinsville, Va. is on Routes 58 and 108, located 51
miles (83 kilometers) south of Roanoke.  (See the Roanoke,
Va. Times for May 13, 2005, "Many agencies get dispatched
to mystery box."  Many thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown and
Robert Fischer for this newspaper article.)


      "Mysterious lights appearing in the night sky over
North Wales were baffling experts" on Sunday night, May 8,
      "Former DIY store manager John White is seeking
answers after catching sight of the strange lights near
his rural home."
      "He took nine hours' video footage of the lights near
his house in Llannefydd, near Denbigh," North Wales, UK
"over the past five weeks."
      "But Ministry of Defence (MoD) chiefs have so far
failed to come up with an explanation."
      "Between one and three separate lights have turned up
      "They appear as bright spots, changing colours
between blue, red, orange and purple."
      "The unidentified flying objects sometimes pulse or
shimmer and grow in size before shrinking back."
      "They also move silently across the night sky.  The
60-year-old first noticed them midway through March
      "They continued to appear.  Intrigued, Mr. White
splashed out hundreds of pounds on video recording
equipment to capture them in action."
      "He said: 'I had just gone into the room to pick up
my glasses.  I looked through the window, and I could see
this light.  I didn't know what it was.'"
      "'I have viewed them through my binoculars.  They
pulse all sorts of colours, reds, blues, greens and
purples.  You would also get sparks of white light.  I
contacted the police and they told me to get in touch with
the Ministry of Defence.  A man there took a look and he
had no idea what they were.'"
      "'One night, one came down from the east and then it
moved slowly across the sky, making no noise.  Another
night, there were three of them in a line.'"
      "Other people have come to Mr. White's house to view
the mysterious lights, but so far they remain baffled, he
      "'I don't know what they are.  But I would like
somebody to tell me,' he said."
      "Police said they were unaware of reports of the
      "Nick Pope, who used to run the MoD's UFO project
desk, said, 'When I ran the desk, 80 percent of all
sightings were explicable; for 15 percent, there was not
enough evidence to make a judgement; and 5 percent were
unexplained.  This case certainly sounds very interesting.
It seems like it warrants further proper scientific
      "The MoD declined to comment."  (See the Caernafon-
Denbigh Herald for May 9, 2005, "Anybody out there?"  Many
thanks to Rosalind Murray for forwarding this newspaper


      Monday, May 9, 2005, saw a flurry of UFO sightings in
UK, in areas other than Wales.
      At approximately 9:30 p.m., Brian Manchester was at
the Hanover House car park on Toller Lane in Bradford,
West Yorkshire when his encounter occurred.
      "I went out to retrieve my car at 9:30 p.m. last
night and saw a strange and pulsating 'object' in the sky
above me," Brian reported, "It made no noise.  It looked
to be very large and was brightly lit all over the shape
of it, which appeared to be like a double cross, or # if
you prefer.  There appeared to be red, green and white
lights on it."
      "After watching for half an hour, another similar-
looking 'object' glided quite fast but stealthily across
the sky beneath the first one, from my left to my right.
The first one remained stationary."
      "It also seemed that there was at least one more of
these 'things' parked quite a bit higher in the sky and
also not moving.  No aircraft or any other noise was
observed.  I and a neighbour of mine both stood witness to
these things and observed regularly until I went to bed at
1:20 a.m. today (Tuesday, May 10, 2005), and the 'big one'
was still sitting there."
      "I reported this event by telephone to the Toller
Lane Police Court--twice--and the female operator never
even asked for my name.  She said they were 'busy.'"
      The same day, Monday, May 9, 2005, at 2 a.m., at
Guernsey in the Channel Islands, eyewitness Andrea M.
reported, "I turned around and saw something and then it
was gone.  I didn't see it depart.  It consisted of bright
lights that looked like stars but so bright it didn't seem
possible.  The lights were two metres (6 feet, 6 inches)
apart and in the shape of a flat circle.  I would estimate
that they were 400 feet (120 meters) above ground."
      Two days later, on Wednesday, May 11, 2005, at 10:25
p.m., eyewitness Gary Frayne saw a UFO approach from the
north in New Ollerton, Nottinghamshire, UK.
Gary reported, "It was a continuous bright light
moving quite fast.  A very bright light, red in colour.
It was faster than anything we can produce on this Earth."
(Email Form Reports)


      On Monday, May 9, 2005, at 11:25 p.m., Ida S. was
outdoors at her home in Kuujjuaq in northern Quebec
province, Canada when she noticed something strange in the
sky approaching from the northeast.
      "I have seen many lighted objects in the night sky
for several years now," Ida reported, "and have known that
these objects are not airplanes.  Last night, around 11:25
p.m., I immediately noticed that one had come down quite
low in the sky.  I could see that it was around 2,000 to
3,000 feet (600 to 900 meters) off the ground.  I could
see at least five different lights on it from my (vantage)
point.  Next, I could tell that there was no sound and
that there were more than the five lights that I saw."
      "It was moving at a constant, very slow speed and was
coming ever lower as it moved towards the northeast.  I
phoned a friend, who is also a fellow night-sky watcher
and told her to check outside right away, and she saw the
same thing.  This was quite exciting for both of us
because what we saw was not from this Earth."
      "The object was grey, round, with lights around the
middle part of it (equator--J.T.).  It was between 2,000
and 3,000 feet (600 to 900 meters) from the ground, moving
slowly at a speed of about 30 kilometers per hour (18
miles per hour--J.T.) and descending at an angle of
approximately 30 degrees from the southeast to the
northeast."  (Email Form Report)


      On Thursday, May 5, 2005, at 7 a.m., eyewitness
Geraldine Hansen watched a UFO take off near her home in
Rescue, California.
      "I was lying in bed that morning, looking out my
bedroom window, afraid to move," Geraldine reported, "The
object was flying up from the ground in front of my
window.  It was spherical in shape, about 12 inches (30
centimeters) in circumference, elongated in length."
      Once the UFO was airborne, "there were blunt spheres
coming out of the object.  Slightly elongated spheres
coming from the larger sphere.  I saw them flying just
outside my bedroom window."
      "Could this be a government test object that got
loose in the (Sierra Nevada) foothills?"  (Email Form


      On Saturday, May 7, 2005, the eyewitness and his
girlfriend were relaxing in Grant Park, at the
intersection of Atlanta Avenue and Boulevard Road, in
Atlanta, Georgia (population 416,474) when they spotted
something unusual in the sky.
      "I sat on a blanket with my girlfriend in broad
daylight and spotted what initially looked like white
balloons rising in the sky," he reported, "The central
thought was that these objects looked much like (Mexican
ufologist Jaime) Maussan's video and the Mexican military
films of white spherical objects.  They passed in the sky"
above Grant Park "either alone or in groups, trailing as
many as 6 to 10 at a time.  They were seemingly flying in
formations (consisting) of widely-spaced triangles."
      "At one point, my friend's two-year-old son spotted
one, and the neighbors joined us.  All five of us saw this
highly irregular phenomenon.  In all, we saw 40 to 50
objects over the two-day period," Saturday and Sunday, May
7 and 8, 2005.
      He described the UFOs as "white, spherical,
illuminated in a bright blue sky, the only other objects
in the sky were planes and contrails.  Height (altitude)
is hard to say, but their highest speed was slower than
(commercial) jets, maybe just over 100 miles per hour (160
kilometers per hour--J.T.), maybe less.  Some hovered and
moved very slowly.  There was no press coverage."  (Email
Form Report)


      On Tuesday, May 3, 2005, researchers discovered a
giant crop circle in a field of oilseed rape in
Garsington, Oxfordshire, UK.  The formation was described
as "a big, galaxy-like, double spiral."
      British cerealogist Christine Munro reported, "On 3rd
May, I was asked to check out a possible crop circle in
this area by Mark Fussell.  I spent about five hours
combing the location and asked a couple of farm workers
but could find nothing.  Well, it seems that I was
mistaken.  There is a major crop circle at this location.
The formation is impossible to see from the ground
anywhere.  I could say that it looked very impressive, and
certainly it looked messy."
      Ms. Munro cautioned that the formation might be the
work of "plankers" (hoaxers who create fake circles using
boards or planks--J.T.) but noted that the formation was
found close to the site of the April 2004 "Gotham
Galaxies" crop formation.
      In Mexico, a large crop formation was found on
Sunday, May 1, 2005 near the city of Morelia in the state
of Michoacan.  "It was first seen at dawn on Sunday, May
1, in a field of oats.  A paranormal organization, La
Esfera Azul (Translated: The Blue Sphere--J.T.) is
conducting the investigation and took photographs of the
      Mexican researchers noted that the crop circle was
found adjacent to the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere area,
the site of two important wildlife sanctuaries, Sierra
Chincua and El Rosario.
      Morelia, the capital of Michoacan state, is located
about 200 kilometers (120 miles) west of Mexico City.
      In Germany, the first crop circle of the year 2005
was discovered in a field of oilseed rape between
Berwangen and Massenbachhausen in the southern state of
Baden-Wurttemberg.  The discovery was made on Sunday, May
1, 2005.  (Many thanks to Robert Fischer for the UK
report; to Ruben Uriate of MUFON and Jeffrey Wilson of the
Independent Crop Circle Research Association for the
Mexican report; and to Jurgen Schneider for the German


      "The Mars rover Opportunity is facing its biggest
challenge since it landed on the Red Planet" in January
2004: "how to get out of a sand dune where it's been stuck
for two weeks."
      "Engineers spent this week simulating the Martian
terrain at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena,"
California, "to try to figure out why the robot got bogged
down and how to get it moving again.  Engineers performed
several tests driving a dummy rover over a man-made sand
      "Scientists sent the first new driving directions to
Opportunity on Wednesday," May 11, 2005, "commanding it to
start inching down from the dune in a series of 'mini-
      "The six-wheeled Opportunity had driven about 130
feet (40 meters) of a planned 295-foot (88-meter) trip
when its wheels started to slip (Tuesday) April 26
(2005)."  (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for May 12,
2005, "Rover stuck in sand dune," page 2A.)


      "Five and a half years after it descended into the
Martian atmosphere and was never heard from again, the
Mars Polar Lander may have been found."
      "Photos taken from orbit by another NASA spacecraft,
the Mars Global Surveyor, show a white dot--presumably the
lander--within a dark gray oval apparently created by
blast marks from the lander's rocket engine."
      "About 1,300 feet (390 meters) away is a white blob
that could be the lander's parachute.  The site falls
within the 40-mile (64-kilometer) long, 10-mile (16-
kilometer) wide ellipse near the Martian South Pole where
the Polar Lander was expected to end up."
      "'The location of the candidate parachute with
respect to the lander is consistent with the slight west-
to-east wind seen in dust-cloud motion in the area around
the time of the crash,' wrote Dr. Michael C. Malin,
president of Malin Space Science Systems, which operates
the Global Surveyor camera, in an article that will appear
in the July (2005) issue of Sky and Telescope."
      "The site was first suggested in 2000, but Malin said
that the success last year in photographing the landing
sites of the Opportunity and Spirit rovers led him to take
another look at the images of the Polar Lander site, taken
in 1999 and 2000."
      "The white blob is of similar brightness to the
Opportunity and Spirit parachutes, which were made of
similar material, and similar blast marks were also seen
at those landing sites."
      "The photographs support the findings of an
investigation panel that concluded that the deployment of
the landing legs during descent had fooled the Polar
Lander into thinking it had already touched the ground,
leading it to shut off its engine while still about 130
feet (40 meters) in the air."
      "'It was only a few short moments before touchdown
that disaster struck,' Malin wrote."
      "The disappearance of the $165 million Mars Polar
Lander on December 3, 1999 and of the $125 million Mars
Climate Orbiter three months earlier, threw NASA's Mars
program into disarray."  (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
Tribune for May 10, 2005, "Photos may show wreckage of
Mars Polar Lander," page 7A.)

      Well, that's it for this week.  Join us next time for
more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
planet Earth...and occasionally, Mars...brought to you by
"the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup."  See you in seven

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post news
items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news
groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
item first appeared.

E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan.nul>
or use the Sighting Report Form at:


Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster.nul>

UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK.
UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
the bulletin in error, please write to:


With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com