UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2007 > Jul > Jul 1

The Walter G. Haut Affidavit

From: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates.nul>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:39:20 -0400
Posted Here: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:39:20 -0400
Subject: The Walter G. Haut Affidavit

Extracted from:

Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up
Thomas J. Carey and Donald R. Schmitt


DATE: December 26, 2002
WITNESS: Chris Xxxxxx
NOTARY: Beverlee Morgan

(1) My name is Walter G. Haut

(2) I was born on June 2, 1922

(3) My address is 1405 W. 7th Street, Roswell, NM 88203

(4) I am retired.

(5) In July, 1947, I was stationed at the Roswell Army Air Base
in Roswell, New Mexico, serving as the base Public Information
Officer. I had spent the 4th of July weekend (Saturday, the 5th,
and Sunday, the 6th) at my private residence about 10 miles
north of the base, which was located south of town.

(6) I was aware that someone had reported the remains of a
downed vehicle by midmorning after my return to duty at the base
on Monday, July 7. I was aware that Major Jesse A. Marcel, head
of intelligence, was sent by the base commander, Col. William
Blanchard, to investigate.

(7) By late in the afternoon that same day, I would learn that
additional civilian reports came in regarding a second site just
north of Roswell. I would spend the better part of the day
attending to my regular duties hearing little if anything more.

(8) On Tuesday morning, July 8, I would attend the regularly
scheduled staff meeting at 7:30 a.m. Besides Blanchard, Marcel;
CIC [Counterintelligence Corp] Capt. Sheridan Cavitt; Col. James
I. Hopkins, the operations officer; Lt. Col. Ulysses S. Nero,
the supply officer; and from Carswell AAF in Fort Worth, Texas,
Blanchard's boss, Brig. Gen. Roger Ramey and his chief of staff,
Col. Thomas J. Dubose were also in attendance. The main topic of
discussion was reported by Marcel and Cavitt regarding an
extensive debris field in Lincoln County approx. 75 miles NW of
Roswell. A preliminary briefing was provided by Blanchard about
the second site approx. 40 miles north of town. Samples of
wreckage were passed around the table. It was unlike any
material I had or have ever seen in my life. Pieces which
resembled metal foil, paper thin yet extremely strong, and
pieces with unusual markings along their length were handled
from man to man, each voicing their opinion. No one was able to
identify the crash debris.

(9) One of the main concerns discussed at the meeting was
whether we should go public or not with the discovery. Gen.
Ramey proposed a plan, which I believe originated from his
bosses at the Pentagon. Attention needed to be diverted from the
more important site north of town by acknowledging the other
location. Too many civilians were already involved and the press
already was informed. I was not completely informed how this
would be accomplished.

(10) At approximately 9:30 a.m. Col. Blanchard phoned my office
and dictated the press release of having in our possession a
flying disc, coming from a ranch Northwest of Roswell, and
Marcel flying the material to higher headquarters. I was to
deliver the news release to radio stations KGFL and KSWS, and
newspapers the Daily Record and the Morning Dispatch.

(11) By the time the news release hit the wire services, my
office was inundated with phone calls from around the world.
Messages stacked up on my desk, and rather than deal with the
media concern, Col Blanchard suggested that I go home and "hide

(12) Before leaving the base, Col. Blanchard took me personally
to Building 84 [AKA Hangar P-3], a B-29 hangar located on the
east side of the tarmac. Upon first approaching the building, I
observed that it was under heavy guard both outside and inside.
Once inside, I was permitted from a safe distance to first
observe the object just recovered north of town. It was approx.
12 to 15 feet in length, not quite as wide, about 6 feet high,
and more of an egg shape. Lighting was poor, but its surface did
appear metallic. No windows, portholes, wings, tail section, or
landing gear were visible.

(13) Also from a distance, I was able to see a couple of bodies
under a canvas tarpaulin. Only the heads extended beyond the
covering, and I was not able to make out any features. The heads
did appear larger than normal and the contour of the canvas
suggested the size of a 10 year old child. At a later date in
Blanchard's office, he would extend his arm about 4 feet above
the floor to indicate the height.

(14) I was informed of a temporary morgue set up to accommodate
the recovered bodies.

(15) I was informed that the wreckage was not "hot"

(16) Upon his return from Fort Worth, Major Marcel described to
me taking pieces of the wreckage to Gen. Ramey's office and
after returning from a map room, finding the remains of a
weather balloon and radar kite substituted while he was out of
the room. Marcel was very upset over this situation. We would
not discuss it again.

(17) I would be allowed to make at least one visit to one of the
recovery sites during the military cleanup. I would return to
the base with some of the wreckage which I would display in my

(18) I was aware two separate teams would return to each site
months later for periodic searches for any remaining evidence.

(19) I am convinced that what I personally observed was some
type of craft and its crew from outer space.

(20) I have not been paid nor given anything of value to make
this statement, and it is the truth to the best of my

Signed: Walter G. Haut
December 26, 2002

Signature witnessed by:
Chris Xxxxxxx

[Thanks to Victor Martinez]

Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed' - The PodCast



[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com