UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2007 > Nov > Nov 15

NPC - Witness Testimony

From: Steve Kaeser<Steve.Kaeser.nul>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:02:54 -0500
Archived: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:31:23 -0500
Subject: NPC - Witness Testimony

[Permission is given to distribute the following provided attribution
 is given to both Steve Kaeser and to the UFO UpDates List as the
 sources... ]

The following is the individual witness testimony distributed to
those who attended the Briefing at the National Press Club on
Monday. This is in the order of the presentations:

Summary by Major General (Ret) Wilfried De Brouwer

My name is Wilt ned De Brouwer. I am a retired Major General of
the Belgian Air Force and I was Chief Operations in the Air
Staff when an exceptional UFO wave took place over Belgium.
Indeed, during the evening of 29 November 1989, in a small area
in Eastern Belgium, approximately 140 UFO sightings were
reported. Hundreds of people saw a majestic triangular craft
with a span of approximately 120 feet, powerful beaming spot
lights, moving very slowly without making any significant noise
but, in several cases, accelerating to very high speeds.

The following days and months, many more sightings would follow.
The UFO wave would last rrore than one year during which a
Belgian UFO organization conducted more than 650 investigations
and recorded more than 400 hours of audio witness reports. On
one occasion, a photograph revealed the triangular shape and
four light beams of the object.

Belgium had no official focal point for reporting UFO
observations. Nevertheless, in my function of Chief Operations,
I was confronted with numerous questio9s about the origin and
nature of these craft. In the first instance, and in
consultation with other NATO partners, 1 could confirm that no
flights of stealth aircraft or any other experimental aircraft
look place in the airspace of Belgium. In addition, the Civil
Aviation Authorities confirmed that no flight plans had been
introduced. This implied that the reported object(s) committed
an infraction against the existing aviation rules.

The Belgian Air Force tried to identify the alleged intruder(s)
and, on three occasions, launched F 16 aircraft. On one
occasion, two F 16 registered rapid changes in speed and
altitude which were well outside of the performance envelope of
existing aircraft. Nevertheless, the pilots could not establish
visual contact and the investigation revealed that specific
weather conditions may have caused electromagnetic interferences
and false returns on the radar screens. The technical evidence
was insufficient to conclude that abnormal air activities took
place during that evening.

In short, the Belgian UFO wave was exceptional and the Air Force
could not identify the nature, origin and intentions of the
reported phenomena.


Claude POllER Scientific Position Statement

Bonjour, I am Dr Claude POHER, retired astrophysicist and space
research engineer from the National Center for Space Studies,
the French equivalent of NASA. I was the founder of the GEPAN,
the Group for the Study of Unidentified Aerospace Phenomena,
which was an official agency devoted to the study of UFO
observation reports, and which remains active today, under the
name GEIPAN.

I first learned about the existence of official US UFO reports
early in the sixties, from Dr J. Alien Hynek, the well known
astronomical consultant to the US Air Force's Project Blue Book.
I then began to investigate official French UFO reports, and to
undertake scientific analyses of the data. I received approval
from ONES to create and direct the GEPAN about 15 years later,
in 1977.

I trained our first investigators, teaching them how to conduct
official investigations into the different kinds of reports,
from lights in the sky to landings with physical evidence and
observations of occupants. We had an independent scientific
steering committee. This committee recommended that we continue
to pursue this work during the two years of my direction. For
example, I trained our investigators on the case of CUSSAC,
where, in August 1967, two young witnesses were alerted by the
agitation of dozens of frightened farm animals at around noon.
The witnesses then observed a landed spherical UFO at a distance
of 80 yards, with four occupants near it.

Very high luminosity was reported after slow takeoff, leaving
physiological effects on the witnesses eyes that were confirmed
by the village mayor. The hiss noise described by the two
witnesses was also heard by the hunting guard of the village.
The UFO acceleration after vertical takeoff was estimated to be
about a hundred g's by GEPAN experts. The occupants were seen
floating in the air while entering the craft, from its top, in a

Physical traces on the ground from the craft were confirmed by
the local police, as well as a sulfur oxide odor. CNES experts
in meteorology and space debris worked in the field with the
witnesses, along with a Juge, a psychologist, an optical
engineer and aeronautical engineer. They had full measuring
eqtipment and worked with the police as well.

The official conclusion of GEPAN in 1979, was that about 15% of
cases remained unidentified after careful analysis by our
experts. We concluded that the objects, in most of these cases,
were compatibie with flying machines whose flight physics were
foreign to the experts knowledge.

What I have stated is about the past. Now there are some recent
experimental facts, in direct relation to my GEPAN and UFO
investigation involvement, that I believe are of great
importance for our future, and for the way you should now handle
UFO observations in the USA.

After I left the GEPAN but r9mained at CNES, I continued to work
on the UFO subject in the domain of theoretical physics. Last
April, the physical theory about gravitation and inertia I was
working on since 1980, was successfully tested in the

Effectively, I patented and tested devices able to reproduce, in
the laboratory, the causes of the strange effects that are
described in UFO observation reports. I am talking about such
effects as tremendous accelerations, sharp turns, sudden stops,
powerful emission of light, silent supersonic speed, etc

These experimental results are currently open to be
demonstrated, in my laboratory in Toulouse, for qualified
scientists, scientific journalists and industrial
representatives, including those from the USA.

Thanks for your attention.


Jean-Charles DUBOC

My name is Jean-Charles DUBOC, and I am a retired Air France

During Air France Flight 3532 from Nice to London, on 28 January
1994, 1 observed, with my crew, a dayliqht UFO near Paris. We
had few passengers on board and none of them had reported that
observation to the crew.

The time was 1:00 P.M, and the visibility was excellent with
some altocumulus clouds.

That object had been identified initially by a steward who was
in the cockpit and by the copilot as a weather balloon, but when
I identified it, it looked quite different.

In fact this UFO was in evolution and it looked like this (I
shall then show a drawing), with a bank angle of 45=B0. It seemed
to be a huge flying DISC. It stabilized and stopped moving
(moving horizontally the draw.

We observed it over one minute on the LEFT on our plane,
surprisingly totally stationary in the sky, and it disappeared
progressively (turn of the drawing).

This large object was below us at the altitude of 35, 000 ft (we
were at 39 000 if), at a distance of about 25 nautical miles.

The colour was RED BROWN with BLURRED outlines.

The apparent diameter of this object could be compared to the
diameter of the moon, or the sun. That means that it was about
1000 feet wide.

We had no idea of the structure of the UFO that seemed to be
embedded in a kind of magnetic or gravitational field, with no
lights or visual metallic structure, which gave it a really
FUZZY appearance.

The most incredible aspect is that it became transparent and
disappeared in about 10 to 20 seconds. My co-pilot, chief
steward and I quickly realized that what we were seeing did not
resemble anything known to us, and we reported our sighting to
Reims traffic control. Simultaneously, the radar of the
Operational Centre of the Air Defence (the CODA), registered a
one minute spot crossing the track of our plane. When I
recorded the estimated position of the UFO on an aeronautical
map I was surprised to realize that its position was near the
base of Tavemy which hosts the headquarters of the French
Strategic Air Command.

This sighting has been studied by the French military COMETA
group under the direction of General Denis Letty and with the
participation of several high ranking officers of the French
Defence, as well as by GEPAN under the French National Space
Centre (CNES I.

The investigations determined this could not have been a weather
balloon, and estimated the approximate length of the UFO to have
been 800 feet.

This sighting remains unexplained.


Jean-Claude Ribes Position Statement

My name is Jean-Claude Ribes and I am an astronomer, working for
the French Centre National de Ia Recherche Scientifique from
1963 to 1998. I contributed to the French COIvIETA report, a
three year military study on UFOs and National Security released
in 1999, and more recently to the book Phenomenes aerospatlaux
non identifies, under the direction of Yves Sillard, chairman of
the Steering Committee of GEIPAN. He asked me to represent him
and GEIPAN here today. General Denis Lefty, chairman of the
COMETA group, also asked me to represent him here, because he
was unable to attend.

The COMETA report was written mainly by high ranking military
people from the French High Studies Institute for National
Defence. It analyzes the possible explanations for UFOs and
their implications in terms of Defence, with the
extraterrestrial hypothesis presented as the most logical one,
even if not formally proven. Some recommendations are made,
including that all managers of the Army, Police, Politics, and
pilots be informed about UFOs; that detection systems be
modified to take UFOs into account; and that the French
government contact the United States and other allied countries
to initiate cooperative action on the subject. So far, these
recommendations have not been implemented.

However, last March, my country took a big step forward. Jacques
Patenet, current director of GEIPAN, released the French UFO
files to the public. They were posted on a website - more than
1,600 sightings spanning five decades. Some cases involved
multiple sightings and physical evidence such as bum marks and
radar trackings. Others documented UFOs with flight patterns or
accelerations defying the laws of physics. M. Patenet told the
press at the time that We do not have any proof at all that
extra-terrestrials are behind the unexplained phenomena. Nor do
we have any proof at all that they aren t.

GEIPAN's Steering Committee plays an important role, with
representatives from the Army, Police, Civil Aviation,
Meteorology and the scientific community. This Committee insures
the best conditions for gathering reports by instructing the
agencies involved in investigations, and by protecting any
witnesses who request anonymity for fear of ridicule.

My personal opinion is that UFOs should be taken seriously and
studied without prejudice. There may be several possible
explanations, such as rare atmospheric phenomena, but some cases
strongly suggest actual flying machines with characteristics
well beyond our terrestrial capacities. If these cases could be
completely proven as such, then the extraterrestrial hypothesis
would probably be the most likely explanation for these advanced
craft. Admittedly, it is a fantastic possibility, but not an
irrational one, given the data that we have.


Parviz Jafari

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen

My name is Parviz Jafari, and I am a retired General of Iranian
Air Force.

At about 11 pm on the evening of 1 8th September, 1976, citizens
were frightened by the circling of an unknown object over
Tehran, the Capital city of Iran, at a low altitude. It looked
similar to a star, but bigger and brighter. They reported it to
the tower and it was seen by the tower man too. He alerted the
Air Force command post and Deputy General Yousefi decided to
scramble an F-4 jet to investigate.

The pilot in the first jet lcst instrumentation and
communications when he got too close to the brilliant object, so
he headed back. About 10 minutes later, they scrambled a second
jet, which I was piloting. At the time I was Squadron commander.
I approached the object, which was flashing with intense red,
green, orange and blue light so bright that I was not able to
see its body. The sequence of flashes was extremely fast, like a
strobe light. We locked on it with radar; it was at 30=B0 left,
at a range of 25 miles. The size on the radar scope was
comparable to that of a 707 tanker.

Four other objects with different shapes separated from the main
one, at different times during this close encounter. Whenever
they were close to me, my weapons were jammed and my radio
communications were garbled. One of the objects headed toward
me. I thought it was a missile. I tried to launch a heat seeking
missile to it, but my missile panel went out. Another followed
me when I was descending on the way back. One of the separated
objects landed in an open area radiating a high bright light, in
which the sands on the ground were visible.

We could hear emergency squash all the way, which was reported
by other airliners flying at the time and continuei for another
couple of days. During my interview at H.Q, after the incident,
an American colonel took notes, but after it was over I could
not find him to talk with. Later, a once-classified document
was released here in America through the Freedom of information
Act. The Defense Intelligence Agency documented the event in
great detail, and it was sent to NSA, The White House and the
CIA. The DIA assessment said this case is a classic that meets
all necessary conditions for a legitimate study of the UFO

I would be happy to answer questions and tell you more.


Rodrigo Bravo Garrido

Declaration For The Press Conference At The National Press Club
In Wasihngton D.C., United States Of America

Since the beginning of Chilean history, there have been reports
of unidentified phenomena, sometimes called UFOs, observed in
our skies.

Over the years, we have increased our capacity to explain many
of the sightings, but some continue to remain without a
scientific or logical explanation. For that reason, in October
of 1997, the Department of Civil Aeronautics, the Chilean
equivalent of the American FAA, set up the Committee for the
Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena, known as the CEFAA. This
agency handles the best reports of unidentified aerial phenomena
in cooperation with aeronautic specialists.

In 2000, the Aviation branch of the Army of Chile assigned me to
research anomalous aerial phenomena, which they knew were real,
and their affect on aerospace security. I then graduated to
become a military pilot, and learned that the Aviation Amy had
in its files many reports of UFO incidents from military pilots.
A link was then established between our Army office and the
CEFAA, and as a result, nine official cases have been
documented. This has helped to create awareness among The flight
crews about UFOs, and they now cooperate with flight security to
report any abnormal situation.

One of our most important civil aviation cases occurred in 1988,
showing that unidentified flying objects can be a danger for air
operations. A Boeing 737 pilot, on a final approach to the
runway at The Tepual Airport in Puerto Montt City, suddenly
encountered a large white light surrounded by green and red. The
light was moving in the opposite direction of the airplane,
coming straight at it. The pilot had to make a steep turn to the
left in order to avoid a collision. The phenomenon was observed
by the control tower personnel.

In 2000, the crew of a Chilean plane from the Aviation branch of
the Army, flying South of Santiago, observed a long cigar-shaped
object, a brilliant gray. It flew parallei to the right side of
the aircraft for two minutes and then disappeared at a very high
speed. This object was detected by the radar of the Control
Center of Santiago which notified the crew minutes before the

Sadly, the UFO subject has been contaminated with false
information, out of touch with reality, provided by unqualified
people to the media. This has moved the issue away from a
scientific and specialized study where it belongs. In light of
that problem, we now make the call to all the countries that are
presently working on this issue in a serious and factual way, to
unite their efforts. We would like this to include the United
States of America. This cooperative effort would help all of us
counteract the potentially unsafe effects of UFOS on air
operations around the world.

New cases are being documented by pilots, traffic controllers,
operations staff at the wor d's airports, and by many others
with the proper training to determine if a flying object is
something unusual. The true origin of these UFOs is unknown,
yet they do affect aviation all around the planet, and this must
be addressed.


Oscar Alfonso Santa Maria Huertas

I am Oscar Santa Maria Huertas, official pilot of the Peruvian
Air Force, currently retired.

On April 11, 1980, at 7:15 in the morning, 1800 men were in
formation at the Air Base of La Joya, Arequipa. They all
observed a stationary object in the sky which looked like a
balloon, at about three miles distance, and approximately 1,800
feet altitude. It was luminous because it reflected the sun.

My unit commander ordered me to takeoff in my Sukoi -22 jet to
shoot down the spherical object. It was in restricted airspace,
without clearance, and we were concerned about espionage. I
approached the object and strafed sixty-four 30mm shells at it.
Some projectiles went towards the ground, and others hit the
object fully, but they had no effect at all. The projectiles
didn t bounce off; probably they were absorbed. The cone-shaped
wall of fire that I sent out would normally obliterate anything
in its path.

The object then began to ascend, and move farther away from the
base. When I was at about 36,000 ft., it made a sudden stop,
forcing me to veer to the side since I was only 1500 feet away.
I flew up higher to attack it from above, but just as I had
locked on to the target and was ready to shoot, the object made
a straight vertical climb evading the attack. Two more times I
had the object on target, when the object was stationary. Each
time, it moved away at the very last minute, when I was just
about to fire, always eluding my attack.

I decided to climb at full thrust to get above the object, but
it began to ascend almost parallel to my plane, and when I
reached 63,000 ft., it stopped. At this point, I came to within
about 300 feet of the UFO. It was about 30 feet in diameter. It
was an enameled, cream-colored dome, with a wide, circular,
metallic base. It had no engines, no exhausts, no windows, no
wings or antennae. It lacked all the typical aircraft
components, with no visible propulsion system. It was at that
moment that 1 realized this it was not a spying device, but that
it was a UFO, something totally unknown. I was almost out of
fuel, so I couldn t attack or maneuver my plane, or make a high
speed escape. I was afraid. I thought I might be finished. When
I had calmed down, I radioed for another plane to come and have
a look, trying to hide my fear. They said no, it's too high,
just come back. I had to glide part way down due to lack of
fuel, zigzagging to make my plane harder to hit, always with my
eyes on the rearview mirrors hoping it wouldn t chase me. It

I had spent 22 minutes maneuvering with this object. After I
landed, the object remained stationary in the sky for two hours,
for everyone at the base to see.

A US Department of Defense document titled UFO Sighted in Peru
described the incident, stating that the vehicle's origin
remains unknown.

It still gives me chills to think about it.

Oscar Alfonso Santa Maria Huertas

DNI: 40315515


Press Release: Peru And The Chulucanas Incident.

First Case Of A UFO Investigation Officially Disclosed.

I am Dr. Anthony Choy, ounding member of the Office of
Investigations of Anomaluos Aereal Phenomena (OIFAA), and an
investigor for this office. This agency was established by the
Peruvian Air Force in December, 2001.

I am the author of Project 33, the first integral study on the
UFO phenomenon in Peru. I traveled all over my country for about
three years, speaking with witnesses, obtaining audio-visual
information such as photographs and videos, and collecting data
for this study.

On October 13, 2001, in the northern city of Chulucanas, and
before hundreds of people, eight spheres of light, of an intense
red-orange color, were recorded on video. We were the first ones
to obtain this video and we gave it to the air force. These
objects were suspended in the air for over five hours, moving in
an apparently intelligent manner, and in absolute silence until
they disappeared.

A few days later, on October 25th, the luminous tear-shaped
object of some 25 meters diameter (approx. 80 feet), was
recorded over the countryside near the city. Within a few
minutes, the apparent landing of light spheres in the woods was
also recorded.

In February of 2002, the Air Force's 01 FAA ordered me to
investigate these sightings.

Taking responsibility for the so-called Chulucanas Incident, in
February 2003 Peruvian Air Force Colonel Jose Raffo Moloche,
Director of Aereal and Space Concerns, made an open statement to
the media acknowledging that the Chulucanas Incident was the
first official UFO investigation in Peru.

The preliminary conclusion was that the sightings, although
being physically real, had no explanation. The case remains
open, and the investigation continues independently

The climax occurred on August 6 of 2004 when, in collaboration
with the American television channel of Univision, we were able
to record for 55 minutes a distant object of unknown nature and
origin, moving at great velocity in the sky, going up and down,
and right and left.

I believe the Air Force in Peru has done the right thing by
opening an office to conduct these investigations. The evidence
we have from actual UFO cases and incidents that have taken
place in our country show that the UFO phenomenon remains one of
the greatest challenges to our current knowledge of science and


Ray Bowyer

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and thank you for coming
today. My name is Ray Bowyer and I fly a civilian airliner as
Captain. I have been invited here due to my sighting last April
of multiple as yet unidentified objects over the Channel Islands
region of the English Channel. This encounter lasted for 15
minutes with the first object being visible from 55 miles

On nearing the object a second identical shape appeared beyond
the first. Both objects were of a flattened disk shape with a
dark area to the right side. They were brilliant yellow with
light emanating from them. I estimated them to be up to a mile

I found myself astounded but curious. But at 12 miles distant
these objects were becoming uncomfortably large, and I was glad
to descend and land the aircraft.

Many of my passengers saw the objects as did the pilot of
another aircraft 25 miles further south. There is also possible
radar information still being investigated.

A team headed by Dr. David Clarke looking at this case will
shortly publish a report but I understand that at this time no
definitive solution has been discovered to explain the sighting.

I have taken note of the differences between the British and
U.S. reporting system. It appears that attitudes on opposite
sides of the Atlantic Ocean are very different when it comes to
the required reporting and recording of this type of event.

Air Law stipulates quite clearly that if an operating crew of an
aircraft see another aircraft a place that it should not he,
then at the earliest opportunity the whole scenario is to be
reported to the relevant authority.

In my case the British Civil Aviation Authority knew within 20
minutes of the sighting what was seen, as described in the
flight log faxed directly to the relevant CM office. The
military were informed by Jersey Air Traffic Control at the same
time. This is not an option; it is an obligation that crews
react in this manner.

In my experience, having reported the incident as required has
had no negative effect. And there was no problem with me talking
about it on British television. Indeed, my company Aurigny Air
Services have offered every support to date. The assistance of
Jersey ATC in releasing recorded information to myself and the
investigating team has been a great benefit. I did not feel that
I was in any danger of being ridiculed, because all I did was
report what actually happened, as was my duty.

I heard about the multiple witness sighting at Chicago O Hare
Airport a year ago, on November 7, 2006. I was surprised to hear
how this was handled. Despite many pilots and airport personnel
witnessing the object hovering over the terminal, there was no
investigation by the FAA. It appears that pressure may have been
applied to crew members by their company not to discuss this

These witnesses were afraid to talk about what they saw, due to
concerns about job security. The FAA told the witnesses that
what they saw was actually not what they saw but that it was
simply weather,

I would have been shocked if I was told that the CAA would
obstruct an investigation, or if the CAA told me that what I had
seen was something entirely different. But it seems that pilots
in America are used to this kind of thing, as far as I can tell.

I would urge all aircrew to report whatever they see as soon as
possible, and to stand up and be counted. It is only when
crucial witnesses such as professional pilots make reports that
the authorities will be kick-started into a broader
investigation of these phenomena.


Nick Pope Position Statement

My name is Nick Pope, formerly with the British Ministry of

Since 1950 the British Government has received over 10,000 UFO
reports. Responsibility for this subject rests with the Ministry
of Defense, whose remit is to look for evidence of any potential
threat to the UK, or anything else of any defense significance.
=46rom 1991 to 1994 I was the desk officer responsible for these

Most UFO sightings turned out to be misidentifications of things
such as aircraft, satellites and meteors, but in around 5 per
cent of cases no explanation could be found. These cases include
incidents where reliable witnesses such as police officers and
pilots reported structured craft performing speeds and maneuvers
significantly in excess of anything they had seen military jet
aircraft perform. Other cases included in this category involved
UFOs tracked on radar and incidents where photos or videos were
produced and where the MoD's technical experts found no evidence
of fakery.

The MoD takes no position on the nature of the UFO phenomenon
but I and some of my colleagues were privately convinced that
whatever was going on, there were important defense, national
security and flight safety issues involved.

In March 1993 I investigated a case where a UFO was seen by
about 60 witnesses, including military personnel at two air
force bases. Witnesses included a patrol of air force police,
together with a meteorological officer with 8 years experience.
This latter witness described a triangular-shaped craft midway
in size between a c-i 30 and a Boeing 747. He said that it was
emitting a low frequency humming sound and he said it moved
slowly at first, before accelerating away many times faster than
a military jet. My Head of Division's brief to the As&stant
Chief of the Air Staff concluded In summary, there would seem to
be some evidence on this occasion that an unidentified object
(or objects) of unknown origin was operating over the UK. The
case file - published on the MoD website

- also mentions related enquiries from the US authorities,
asking if the UK had a black programme that might explain some
UFO sightings involving large triangular-shaped craft. That's
interesting, given the US government's public position that UFOs
are no longer investigated.

Britain's best known UFO sighting occurred in 1980 and involved
USAF personnel from two military bases in the UK. There were
multiple witnesses and an object was seen to land in a place
called Rendlesham Forest. A Geiger counter was used to take
radiation readings at the landing site and the assessment
undertaken by the MoD's Defence Intelligence Staff stated that
the levels recorded seemed significantly higher than the average
background. We are fortunate to have two of the witnesses to
these events here today and I should like to hand over to one of
them now, so that he can give you the specifics.

Thank you.



James Penniston Statement

My name is James Penniston, United States Air Force Retired.

In 1980, I was assigned to the largest Tactical Fighter Wing in
the Air Force, RAF Woodbridge in England. I was the senior
security officer in charge of base security.

At that time I held a top-secret US and NATO security clearance
and was responsible for the protection of war-making resources
for that base.

Shortly after midnight on the 26th of December, 1980, Staff
Sergeant Steffens briefed me that some lights were seen in
Rendlesham Forest, just outside the base. He informed me that
what ever it was didnt crash... it landed. I discounted what he
said and reported to the control center back at the base that we
had a possible downed aircraft. I then ordered Amn. Cabanzak,
AIC Burroughs to respond with me.

When we arrived near the suspected crash site it quickly became
apparent that we were not dealing with a plane crash or anything
else we d ever responded to. There was a bright light emanating
from an object on the forest floor. As we approached it on foot,
a silhouetted triangular craft about 9 feet long by 6.5 feet
high, came into view. The craft was fully intact sitting in a
small clearing inside the woods.

As the three of us got closer to the craft we started
experiencing problems with our radios. I then asked Cabansag to
relay radio transmissions back to the control center. Burroughs
and I proceeded towards the craft.

When we came up on the triangular shaped craft there were blue
and yellow lights swirling around the exterior as though part of
the surface and the air around us was electrically charged. We
could feel it on our cloths, skin and hair. Nothing in my
training prepared me for what we were witnessing.

After ten minutes without any apparent aggression, I determined
the craft was non hostile to my team or to the base. Following
security protocol, we completed a thorough on-site
investigation, including a full physical examination of the
craft. This included photographs, notebook entries, and radio
relays through airman Cabansag to the control center as
required. On one side of the craft were symbols that measured
about 3 inches high and two and a half feet across.

These symbols were pictorial in design; the largest symbol was a
triangle, which was centered in the middle of the others. These
symbols were etched into the surface of the craft, which was
warm to the touch and felt like metal.

The feeling I had during this encounter was no type of aircraft
that I ve eve seen before.

After roughly 45 minutes the light from the craft began to
intensify. Burroughs and I then took a defensive position away
from the craft as it lifted off the ground without any noise or
air disturbance. It maneuvered through the trees and shot off at
an unbelievable rate of speed. It was gone in the blink of an

In my logbook, (that I have right here) 1 wrote, Speed:
IMPOSSIBLE. Over 80 Air Force Personnel, all trained observers
assigned to the 81st Security Police Squadron, witnessed the

The information acquired during the investigation was reported
through military channels. The team and witnesses were told to
treat the investigation as top secret and no further discussion
was allowed.

The photos we retrieved from the base lab (two rolls of 35 mm)
were apparently over exposed.


Statement By Charles I. Halt

My name is Charles I. Halt. I retired from the US Air Force in
1991 as a Colonel. I was a base commander at two large
installations and at the time of my retirement was Director,
Inspections Directorate for the DOD 1G. In that position I had
inspection oversight of all military services and defense

In 1980 I was the Deputy Base Commander of RAF Bentwaters, the
large twin base complex in East Anglia England. At the time this
was the largest Tactical Fighter Wing in the Air Force.

In late December 1980 I was called upon to investigate a strange
event that was distracting our Security Police from their
primary duties. Early on the morning of December 26, 1980 our
police patrolmen discovered strange lights in the forest east of
the back gate of RAE Woodbridge. Three patrolmen were dispatched
into the forest to investigate. They reported discovering a
strange triangular craft sitting on three legs. The craft was
approximately 3 meters on a side. The craft had multiple lights.
It rapidly maneuvered and quickly left the area.

I was not immediately aware of the details only being told of
strange lights and assumed there was a reasonable explanation.

Two nights later the famIy Christmas party was interrupted by
the on duty police commander. He told of strange events and
claimed it was back. Since my boss had to present awards I was
tasked to go out and investigate. I fully expected to find an

I took two senior Security Police, a Disaster Preparedness
expert and the reporting On Duty Police Commander. At the site
we found the three 1 1/2 indentations in the ground in a
triangular pattern. [SHOW PLASTER CAST],

We discovered mild radiation, and evidence including broken
branches. We suddenly observed a bright red/orange oval object
with a black center. It reminded me of an eye and appeared as
though blinking. It maneuvered horizontally through the trees
with occasionally vertical movement. When approached it receded
and silently broke into five white lights which quickly
vanished. We moved out of the forest into a pasture and observed
several objects with multiple lights in the Northern sky. They
changed in shape from elliptical to round.

Several other objects were seen to the South. One approached at
high speed and sent down a concentrated beam near our feet.
Another object sent down beams into the weapons storage area.
The whole time we had difficulty communicating with the base as
all three radio frequencies kept breaking up. This activity
continued for about an hour.

During this entire event I had my pocket recorder and taped the
event as it unfolded. A copy of the tape was released without my
knowledge. This is the original recorder and tape.

I have no idea what we saw but do know whatever we saw was under
intelligent control.


John Callahan

What I am about to tell you now, is about an event that never

I am John Callahan, and I was Division Chief of the Accidents,
Evaluations and Investigations Division of the FAA in
Washington, for 6 years during the 1980's.

in early January of 1987, 1 received a call from the Air Traffic
Quality Control Branch in FAA's Alaskan regional office,
requesting guidance on what to tell the media personnel who were
overflowing their office. The media was requesting information
about the UFO that chased a Japanese 747 across the Alaskan sky
for some 31 minutes at flight levels between 31000 and 35000 ft.
on November 17, 1986. Somehow, the word had got out.

What UFO; when did this take place; why wasn't Washington
Headquarters informed? I asked.

Hey, he replied, who believes in UFOs? I just need to know what
to tell the media to get them out of here.

The answer to that question was easy: Tell them it's under
investigation. Then, collect all the data - the voice tapes and
data disc for both the facility and the military. Send then
overnight to the FAA Tech Center in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Japan Air Lines flight 1628, a cargo jet with a pilot, co-pilot
and one crew member, was just north of Anchorage, and it was
about 11 pm when the pilot first reported the UFO. He described
it as a huge ball with lights running around it. He said it was
about 4 times bigger than a 747, and he saw it with his own
eyes. So did the other two crew members.

Over the course of 31 minutes, the UFO jumped miles in a few
seconds, changing places to different spots around the 747, in
one sweep of the radar scope.

After receiving the data from Alaska almost two months later, I
briefed my boss Harvey Safer and the FAA Administrator Admiral
Engen, and Safer and I went to the FAA Tech Center to observe
the playback.

The FAA had developed a program capable of recreating the
traffic on the controllers scope, or plan view display. I
instructed the FAA specialist to synchronize the voice tapes
with the radar data so we could hear everything the controller
and pilot said. I video taped the radar display.

Later that day, I requested that the FAA automation specialists
plot the radar targets along the route of flight and explain
what each target was doing. I video taped the resuLting chart.

The print out and radar play back displayed primary targets in
the vicinity of the 747. These target returns were displayed
about the same time and place as the pilot advised viewing the

Both the radar and manual controller observed the primary
target. The military controllers also viewed the primary target
on their radar and identified it as a double primary. The pilot
and crew viewed the target on their radar and were able to see
the huge UFO at the same time as it approached their aircraft.

If this craft had been a leer jet or military aircraft at the
wrong attitude, that would have been clear. The FAA has
procedures that cover tracking unidentified aircraft violating
another's airspace - but it has no procedures for UFOs.

Back at FAA headquarters, I gave Administrator Engen a quick
briefing and showed him the video. He set up a briefing with
President Reagan's scientific staff, and told me my function was
to give them a dog and pony show and hand this event off to
them, since the FAA does not deal with UFO s.

I brought along a copy of the video and all the data print outs
available at the time.

One of the scientists asked a number of questions, such as, what
is the range of the radar, what is the frequency of the radar,
what is the band width, what is the formula for the height
equipment, etc.

I was impressed with the response from the FAA experts. At the
end, one of the three people from the CIA said, This event never
happened; we were never here; we re confiscating all this data
and you are all sworn to secrecy.

What do you think it was? I asked the CIA person.

A UFO and now they have over 30 minutes of radar to go over, he

Well let's get a TWIX out and advise the American public that we
were visited by a UFO, I suggested.

No way, if we were to tell the American public there are UFOs
they would panic, ho informed me.

Some time after the briefing, the detailed FAA report which
included extensive interviews with the pilot and crew, the chart
prepared at the Tech Center; and facility voice tapes arrived at
my office and were placed on a small table waiting for the CIA
to request more data. The material stayed there until I retired
2 years later, and I ve had it ever since.

Most people including FAA controllers really aren t familiar
with how the FAA radar system works and why all aircraft
traveling through our airspace are not caught on radar or
displayed on the controllers PVD. But I am.

The system and organization of the FAA is not configured to
identify and track these types of performances.


Final Statement Fife Symington

In 1997 during my second term as Governor of Arizona, I saw
something that defied logic and challenged my reality.

I witnessed a massive delta-shaped craft silently navigate over
Squaw Peak, a mountain range in Phoenix, Arizona. It was truly

To my astonishment this apparition appeared, and it was a solid
structure; this dramatically large, very distinctive leading
edge with some enormous lights was traveling through the Arizona

I still don t know what it was. As a pilot and a former Air
Force Officer, I can definitively say that this craft did not
resemble any man made object I d ever seen. And it was certainly
not high- altitude flares because flares don t fly in formation.

The incident was witnessed by hundreds, if not thousands of
people in Arizona and my office was besieged with phone calls
from very concerned Arizonians.

The growing hysteria intensified when the story broke
nationally. I decided to lighten the mood of the state by
calling a press conference where my chief of staff arrived in an
alien costume. We managed to lessen the sense of panic but at
the same time, upset many of my constituents.

I would now like to set the record straight. I never meant to
ridicule anyone. My office jamake inquiries as to the origin of
the craft, but to this day, they remain unanswered.

Eventually the Air National Guard Force claimed responsibility
stating that their pilots were dropping flares. This is
indicative of the attitude from official channels. We get
explanations that fly in the face of the facts. Explanations
like weather balloons, swamp gas and military flares.

I was never happy with this silly explanation. There might very
well have been military flares in the sky later that evening,
but what I and hundreds of others saw had nothing to do with

I now know that I am not alone in witnessing something
extraordinary. There are many high ranking military, aviation
and government officials who share my concerns; some of them
have joined me here today. There is absolutely no doubt as to
the veracity of what these men have told you. They have fought
in wars, guarded top secret weapons arsenals and flown countless
passengers thorough the world's skies.

Incidents like these are not going away. One year ago, Chicago's
O'Hare airport experienced a UFO event that made national and
international headlines. Pilots and many other airline employees
observed a metallic disc hovering over the United Airlines
terminal for several minutes. It then shot straight up and cut a
hole in the clouds. The FAA did not investigate, dismissing the
sighting as weather.

We want the US government to stop putting out stories that
perpetuate the myth that ALL UFOs can be explained away in down-
to-earth, conventional terms. Instead, our country needs to
reopen its official investigation that it shut down in 1969. The
US government can no longer shun an international dialogue about
this, and we invite the government to work in cooperation with
the countries represented at this table.

When it comes to events of this nature that are completely
unsolved, we deserve more openness in government, especially our

[Permission is given to distribute the above provided attribution
 is given to both Steve Kaeser and to the UFO UpDates List as the
 source... ]

Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed' - The PodCast



[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com