UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2012 > Feb > Feb 6

Did Unknown Intruders Erase ICBM Target Codes?

From: Robert Hastings <ufohastings.nul>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:43:34 -0500 (EST)
Archived: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 07:25:39 -0500
Subject: Did Unknown Intruders Erase ICBM Target Codes?

My latest article is up at The UFO Chronicles:


Yet Another Nuclear Missile Launch Officer Talks about UFOs at
F.E. Warren AFB:

Did the Unknown Intruders Erase ICBM Target Codes?


A different account of UFO incursions at F.E. Warren originates
with another former ICBM launch officer, Walter F. Billings. In
2002, The Association of Air Force Missileers (AAFM) published a
brief article of mine it its September newsletter, in which I
asked former or retired USAF nuclear missile personnel to
contact me with their UFO experiences. Among the 30-plus
responses I received was this letter from Billings, regarding
three UFO incidents at the base in the early 1970s. It is now
presented at this website for the first time:


Dear Mr. Hastings:

This is written with the assumption that you are an ex missile
man and that I do not need to go into an explanation of my
position at F.E. Warren AFB or what the job entailed.

[RH: Although my father was career Air Force, I never served in
the military myself. Probably just as well. I have this tendency
to talk back and ask questions best left unasked from the
Pentagon=92s point-of-view.]

I arrived at F.E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne, Wyo. in late January
of 1972 from Vandenberg AFB [where I] had been trained in
Minuteman One, and after further training at F.E. Warren, was
sent with the operations crews as a Deputy Missile Commander and
assigned to a Squadron for the typical duty as a 2nd Lieutenant.
I was later trained as a training officer for the Wing in
Minuteman One, which encompassed assisting new arrivals in
training and running simulators, and other duties. [These were]
the standard duties until the Spring of 1973.

As a First Lieutenant, along with so many others, I went back to
school at F.E. Warren to learn the new Minuteman Three system
that was to be installed during the year of 1973. After training
and evaluations, alert duties were assigned for the new system
to those that had completed their training. We were to go on
alerts as the new missile system was installed. In those days,
F.E. Warren had 200 missiles on alert and was very active.

I am afraid that the dates that I will provide are somewhat
vague. I wrote [up] my experiences for a publication in this
arena back in September 1993 and even then the dates were not
exact. Also, some of the missile terminology may not be exact. I
have forgotten some of the terms. I am sorry that I did not keep
a private log of these events, back when they occurred.

The first event took place in the Fall of 1973, over half of the
[Launch Control Capsules] had been converted to Minuteman Three
by this time and I was on alert at Golf LCC. It was late at
night. The UHF radio linking all twenty LCCs opened up with
urgent talk from India LCC. In those days, the UHF radio was
turned on, at all times, and if one LCC spoke to their [Security
Alert Team] or other LCCs, all twenty LCCs heard the
conversation. After the India crew received an Outer Security
Zone indicator on one of their missiles and sent their SAT crew
out for the standard investigation trip, we began to hear over
the radio the events that developed.

=46rom the UHF radio communication between the SAT team and the
India LCC crew, as we listened, we heard that as the truck was
heading to the missile silo, the Inner Security Zone indicator
had been tripped at the silo. Upon arriving near the subject
silo, the SAT team observed a bright UFO hovering above the
silo. The LCC crew advised the SAT team to proceed no further
and to observe only. Approximately a minute later, the UFO moved
off slowly for several thousand feet and then sped off at a high
rate of speed. The conversation between the India LCC crew and
the SAT team was heard by 19 other LCC crews on duty that night.

Upon relief by the next crew and upon return to F.E. Warren AFB,
all crews on duty that night were informed that they would not
speak to civilians or the news media about what they had heard
on the UHF radio that night. Severe penalties were mentioned for
those that did not heed this warning.

We, the LCC crews in general, began to hear rumors and stories
from other officers in operations and maintenance, that
[Strategic Air Command] headquarters at Offutt AFB had sent the
[Office of Special Investigations] to investigate this incident
by helicopter. The India crew of that night would not speak of
the incident at all. There were stories from maintenance that
the missile in question had been carefully examined and they
found that target tapes on the three warheads had been erased,
supposedly by the UFO. Needless to say, I only heard that these
things had occurred. These stories were told between missile
guys over the following week, but they were reliable people who
did not speak to civilians or the press about this subject.
However, the squadron commanders warned us, again, not to speak
of the incident.

The second incident involved an entire missile maintenance crew,
I believe six enlisted men and one officer. This, also, occurred
in late 1973. A Minuteman III missile was being worked on for
some routine problem during one of those late fall nights. A UFO
was observed by the entire maintenance crew. The UFO appeared to
be watching the work and was seen for a full five minutes has it
maneuvered close to the missile silo. This was told to me by a
missile maintenance 1st Lieutenant, approximately three days
after the incident occurred.

The third incident took place in early spring of 1974. As I was
arriving at Charlie LCC, in the morning with my captain to begin
an alert duty, we were told by the staff sergeant and two
security police, who had been on duty that night, of the strange
thing that had happened. They told us that a UFO had actually
landed near the LCC and had been observed by the three, and that
a minute by minute report had been given to the operations crew
downstairs. When we asked about this, as we were relieving the
LCC crew for our duty to begin, they would not talk about it
with us. I heard a few days later that the staff sergeant was in
some sort of trouble for speaking to us about what he saw and
that the OSI was again involved.

While I was in SAC, I, personally, was not directly involved
with a UFO incident while on duty. However, during June of 1974,
while on a camping trip in Dubois, Wyoming with three other
Lieutenants, we observed a UFO flying relatively low. It was
similar to the ones that were described to us, in the above
three incidents. Since all four of us were AF Lieutenants, we
knew that this low flying object was not an aircraft. From that
time forward, I have had an interest in this subject and have
read some on the subject as well.

I can tell you that these three incidents, at F.E. Warren AFB,
did occur. It was a long time ago and I am sure many other
things have happened since. I have not been able to find any
written statements of these three incidents since. This could be
because there was a very good cover-up of the situation, at that
time, or they were not deemed important enough to bother with.
Though, I doubt that the later [sic] is true.

I have always wondered as to what really happened to the missile
that had the UFO hovering above it, and if the warhead target
tapes had really been erased.

I wish you good luck on any research that you may do on this
subject. I doubt that you will receive any help from those that
might know the truth. I am sure that the cover-up that I
observed many years ago is still in effect.

Thank you for your interest.


Walter F. Billings

To summarize, here we have yet another former ICBM launch
officer saying that UFOs have repeatedly monitored and=97according
to missile maintenance and targeting personnel=97tampered with our
nuclear missiles.

The latest missile-disruption incident at F.E. Warren AFB,
according to two recently retired maintenance technicians,
occurred on October 23, 2010. In other words, despite blanket
denials from the Air Force, UFO activity at U.S. nuclear missile
sites continues to nearly the present day.



Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed' - The PodCast



These contents above are copyright of the author and
UFO UpDates - Toronto. They may not be reproduced
without the express permission of both parties and
are intended for educational use only.