UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2012 > Jan > Jan 7

More On 2010 UFO Activity At F.E. Warren AFB

From: Robert Hastings <ufohastings.nul>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:40:36 - 0500 (EST)
Archived: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:56:17 -0500
Subject: More On 2010 UFO Activity At F.E. Warren AFB

James Carlson Gets It Wrong Again:

Reuters Was NOT Paid to Publicize Robert Hastings' Investigation
of UFO Activity at F.E. Warren AFB in October 2010

James Carlson's father, Eric, is a former U.S. Air Force ICBM
launch officer who was involved, decades ago, in a UFO incident
at a missile site operated by Malmstrom AFB, Montana - although
the elder Carlson continues to deny it. Nevertheless, I've
interviewed other former/retired officers and enlisted men who
said that a UFO had indeed been hovering over one of the Echo
Flight ICBMs early on the morning of March 16, 1967, when the
entire flight of ten malfunctioned. I subsequently published
those persons' testimony and, still later, some of the actual
tape recordings of their conversations with me - thereby
publicly contradicting Eric Carlson's claims of no UFO -
involvement in the incident. In response, James has been
libeling me all over cyberspace ever since. His daddy is telling
the truth, he claims, and all of those other guys are full of

My taped conversations with Eric Carlson's former Deputy Missile
Combat Crew Commander, now - retired Col. Walter Figel, may be
heard at:


Figel says that he did indeed receive a report from one of his
guards of a "large, round object" hovering "directly over" one
of the Echo ICBMs seconds before it dropped - off alert status and
became unlaunchable.

James Carlson's latest posted nonsense about me is at:


and involves, among other things, his claim that I paid the
prestigious Reuters news agency big bucks to publish a summary
of, and a link to, my article on UFO sightings during the
October 23, 2010 missile communication disruption incident at
F.E. Warren AFB. My expos=C3=A9 on that dramatic event may now be
read at:


Carlson claims that Reuters' supposedly paid endorsement of my
investigation lent it an aura of legitimacy that it did not
deserve. However, once again, James Carlson has only succeeded
in demonstrating his inability to accurately state facts, in any
given case he attempts to discuss authoritatively.

In reality, I paid PRNewswire, a publicity - for - hire group, to
post my press release on the incident at F.E. Warren whereupon
Reuters, and many other news organizations, picked it up and
distributed it on its merits, even though - as James correctly
noted - all of my sources were, and remain, anonymous. (Just as
all of the Watergate investigation sources' names were initially
kept confidential, until unfolding events resulted in their
identities being made known by Washington Post reporters Bob
Woodward and Carl Bernstein.)

The original PRNewswire press release is at:


The Reuters version is at:


I am perfectly aware that it would have been more credible to
cite the F.E. Warren AFB sighting witnesses and my other sources
by name, however, I didn't have the option to do so in this
particular case. (Approximately 95% of my ex - military sources
over the years were identified in my book UFOs and Nukes.
Carlson just calls those guys liars or otherwise unreliable. In
other words, heads he wins, tails I lose. In Carlson's eyes,
none of my sources are reliable when they report their direct or
indirect knowledge of UFO activity at USAF nuclear weapons

Unfortunately, regarding the October 23, 2010 incident at F.E.
Warren, the two then - active duty missile maintenance technicians
who spoke of UFO sightings on the day of the communications
snafu were later discovered and punished. Someone, perhaps the
Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), had been monitoring
their emails to my go - between, an already - retired ICBM
maintenance tech. Consequently, after the two technicians
retired in June 2011, a "flag" was put in each of their DD214
folders, chastising them for releasing still - classified
information about the incident. This official admonishment
effectively bars them from possible employment with defense
contractors, a development which troubles me greatly. Nothing
like this has ever happened to any of my ex - military sources
during my 39 - year research career.

To those who say that I should be far more troubled about the
techs' unauthorized disclosures, I will simply assert my belief
that the American people deserve to know the facts about UFOs
which the U.S. government withholds from us and the rest of the
world - including information about ongoing UFO incursions at
nuke sites. Furthermore, my opinion is that any military or ex -
military whistleblower who reveals his or her knowledge of those
facts is a true patriot.

Nevertheless, the information provided by the pair - regarding
the actual 26 - hour duration of the comm disruption, the
multiple, intermittent sightings of a huge, cigar - shaped UFO
concurrent with it, and the subsequent warnings by the missile
maintenance commander to his squadron to remain silent about the
dramatic events - are all reliable disclosures in my view and I
am hoping that other, on - the - record sources will materialize in
the future who can substantiate the techs' assertions.

A fuller discussion of this topic, including other examples of
James Carlson's unreliable and even bizarre behavior, may be
found at:



The following excerpt comes from Robert Hastings' book
UFOs And Nukes: Extraordinary Encounters At Nuclear Weapons Sites

Copyright 2008 Robert L. Hastings. All Rights Reserved.

David H. Schuur at Minot 1966

~ 14 ~

Launch in Progress!

Of all the interviews I've conducted with former or retired ICBM
launch officers over the past three decades, this was perhaps
the most disturbing. According to the source, David H. Schuur, a
UFO once activated the launch sequence in most of his Minuteman

In August 2007, Schuur told me, "I saw your request for
information in the [June 2007] Association of Air Force
Missileers Newsletter. I was involved in a UFO incident at Minot
AFB in the mid - 1960s. I had read your earlier article [in the
September 2002 AAFM Newsletter] but was hesitant to respond." I
asked Schuur why he had been hesitant. He replied, "Well, we
were basically told, way back when, that it was classified
information and, you know, it didn't happen and don't discuss
it. I guess I was still operating on that idea when I saw your
first article."

Schuur had obviously had a change of heart. He continued,
"Anyway, I was a Minuteman missile crewmember in the 455th/91st
Strategic Missile Wing at Minot from December 1963 through
November 1967. I was a 1st Lieutenant during that period and the
deputy commander that night. Since the incident occurred some 40
years ago, my memories are a bit foggy but, based on who my
commander was at the time, I would say it occurred between July
1965 and July 1967."

I asked Schuur if he could narrow the time - frame during which
the incident occurred, by associating it with another event. He
replied, "Not really, but my sense is that the incident occurred
toward the end of my duty in the [missile] field, so it was
probably during 1966, or '67. I was pulling alert in the Echo
[Launch Control] Capsule and was at the console at the time,
probably early in the morning when the commander was sleeping. I
know I was at Echo because that's where I pulled almost all of
my alert duty. My crew commander at the time has died. He was a
Lieutenant Colonel at Minot, in his 50s - he was in the reserves,
an old Korea veteran, who was recalled to duty in the early

"As far as the incident, here's my best recollection of it:

Alpha capsule, which was east of us, reported on PAS - the Primary
Alerting System - that their security personnel were observing a
large, bright object hovering over some of their missile sites.
It was moving from missile to missile. I think the Alpha missile
crew also reported that they were receiving 'spurious
indicators' on their missile control console, but I'm not
certain about that. I do know that a few minutes later our own
capsule had spurious indicators - anomalous readings - from some of
our missiles.

I asked Schuur to explain PAS. He said, "It was an open line
between SAC headquarters and the wing command posts. There was a
speaker in each launch capsule and when the command posts issued
a directive, or whatever, we were able to hear it. When Alpha
had their UFO sightings, they alerted the command post, at which
time the command post called SAC headquarters. So, when the
report of the sightings went out, we all heard it on PAS.

Schuur continued, "But it wasn't just Alpha and Echo. Over the
next hour or so - I don't recall exactly how long it was - all of
the flights reported that their [Security Alert Teams] were
observing a UFO near their facilities. The path of the object
could be followed as it passed over each flight area by the
reports on the PAS. The object moved over the entire wing from
the southeast to the northwest, following the layout of the

Schuur elaborated, "All of them - Bravo Flight, Charlie, Delta,
right on down the line to Oscar - were reporting sightings of this
object. Minot's missile field is laid out like the letter 'C'.
Alpha is located southeast of the base, and the other flights -
Bravo, Charlie and so forth - were south, southwest, west,
northwest, then north of Minot. Oscar, the last flight, is at
the top of the 'C', north of the base. The object - as far as I
know, it was only one object - came across Alpha Flight, then
moved all the way around the flights and ended up at Oscar. We
could hear that on PAS. At Echo, it didn't come close to the
Launch Control Facility, it just visited the LFs (silos), then
passed onto the next flight.

"As far as our flight, Echo, a few minutes after hearing the
report from Alpha, I received a call from topside security that
a large bright light - actually, a large, bright object would be
more accurate - was in the sky, to the east of the launch control
facility. When the guard called down, he may have used the term
'UFO' but I don't recall. He didn't describe its shape or
altitude because it was too far away. It never got close enough
to the LCF to see any detail. At its closest, it was two, three,
maybe four miles away from us, near one of the missile sites."

Schuur continued, "However, when the object passed over our
flight, we started receiving many spurious indications on our
console. The object was apparently sending some kind of signals
into each missile. Not every missile got checked [out] by the
object, but there were several that did. Maybe six, seven, or
eight. Maybe all ten got checked, but I don't think so. As this
thing was passing over each missile site, we would start getting
erratic indications on that particular missile. After a few
seconds, everything reset back to normal. But then the next
missile showed spurious indicators so the object had apparently
moved on to that one and did the same thing to it. Then on to
the next one, and so on. It was as if the object was scanning
each missile, one by one. The Inner Security and Outer Security
[alarms were triggered] but we got those all the time, for one
reason or another. However, on this particular night, we had to
activate the 'Inhibit' switch because we got 'Launch in
Progress' indicators! After a few minutes, the UFO passed to the
northwest of us and all indicators reset to normal."

I wanted to be certain about what I had just been told. I asked
Schuur, "So, if you get a 'Launch in Progress' indicator, does
that mean the launch sequence has been triggered - that the
missile is preparing to launch?" Schuur replied, "That means the
missile has received a launch signal. When that happens, we get
an indication in the capsule that a launch command has been
received by that missile. If that happens, without proper
authority, you flip what's called an 'Inhibit' switch, to delay
the launch for a given period of time. If an Inhibit command
comes in from another launch capsule, that shuts down the launch
totally. But if that second command doesn't come in, the missile
will wait for a specified period of time and then launch
automatically at the end of that expired period - theoretically.
Of course, that night, we had all kinds of other indicators
coming on from each missile so, in that situation, the launch
probably would have aborted itself. I honestly don't know."

I asked Schuur if the "Launch in Progress" indicator had ever
been triggered on any other occasion, either before or after the
UFO incident, while he was on alert duty. He replied, "No,

I asked Schuur if he had heard about missile maintenance teams
having to replace components or whole systems in the affected
missiles - the ones that generated the spurious readings. He
replied, "No, if that happened, I never heard about it."

Schuur said, "Upon returning to the base the next day, my
commander and I were met by the operations officer. He just
said, 'Nothing happened, nothing to discuss, goodbye.' Our logs
and tapes were turned in. Every capsule had a 24 - hour tape that,
as I recall, recorded the communications that went over the PAS
system, so all the reports would have been on that tape. But we
were essentially told that nothing had happened that night and
to discuss it no further. It was a non - event. We were never
debriefed, by OSI or anyone else. We just went home. Most of the
returning missile crews drove back to the base from their
facilities, so they all arrived at different times. There was no
group debriefing that I know of. I never heard another thing
about the incident."

I asked Schuur, "I know that you were given no feedback from
your superiors, but what is your personal assessment of the
event?" He replied, "Oh, I think something was up there, uh,
scanning the missiles, seeing what was going on. Some kind of a
scanning process." I asked Schuur whether he thought the launch
activation had been incidental or deliberate. He seemed
surprised by my question and said, "I think that the scanning
just set it off. It set all kinds of things off, we were getting
all sorts of indicators. There were some kind of signals being
sent [from the UFO] to the missile that inadvertently triggered
the launch activation, but I don't think it was deliberate. I
hope not! That would have been - ." Schuur didn't finish this
sentence. His voice broke and he heaved a deep sigh. Apparently,
the thought that those aboard the UFO might have deliberately
attempted to launch his nuclear missiles that night had caused
him to pause - and probably shudder - over 40 years later.

I obviously accept Schuur's report as credible, but am of course
attempting to locate other former members of his squadron who
are willing to corroborate it. As Schuur candidly admitted,
after reading my first article in the September 2002 AAFM
newsletter, he waited some five years before approaching me. It
was only after my second published request for information from
former/retired USAF missileers, that he decided to unburden
himself. This hesitant response is not atypical. Many of my
former missile launch officer sources have not readily or easily
divulged their UFO experiences to me, for one reason or another.

Importantly, to my knowledge, Schuur's testimony represents the
only credible report on record of a UFO temporarily activating a
U.S. nuclear missile. However, there is one other reliable
report of such an activation - in the Soviet Union. That case will
be discussed at length in a later chapter.

Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed' - The PodCast



These contents above are copyright of the author and
UFO UpDates - Toronto. They may not be reproduced
without the express permission of both parties and
are intended for educational use only.