UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2012 > Mar > Mar 27

This Week At Inexplicata - March 27 2012

From: Scott Corrales <lornis1.nul>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:25:24 -0400
Archived: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:16:29 -0400
Subject: This Week At Inexplicata - March 27 2012

Monday, March 26, 2012

Source: Planeta UFO and El Drag=F3n Invisible
Date: 3.25.12

Close Encounters in Antarctica
By Carlos Alberto Iurchuk

Note: This is the original text submitted to Brazil's UFO
magazine, edited by A.J. Gevaerd. The article appeared in Issue
177, May 2011.

The man with the thick beard drank his coffee slowly. Later he
turned to look at me, saying deliberately: "Around April or May,
the cook remarked casually that around 17:00 hours he saw a
plane flying in absolute silence - at least he didn't hear any
sound whatsoever, being in the kitchen and all - approached the
center of the bay, made an abrupt turn, and pulled away."

It was on a cold afternoon, seated in a bar in the city of
Buenos Aires, that I heard this story from the lips of Jose Raul
Bortolamedi, who had been stationed at the Almirante Brown
Argentinean Base in the Antarctic in 1981.

Raul continued his story in an almost solemn tone of voice,
ignoring the hubbub surrounding us: "Its altitude was estimated
as being relatively low, between 100 and 300 meters, and it
turned approximately 45 degrees. The cook was startled by the
silence and abruptness with which the maneuver was executed.
There was no news about any expected flights, since arrivals of
commercial or scientific flights, or those of any other nature,
were generally announced."

But that wasn't the only unknown presence during his stay at the
base. After drinking his coffee, he continued: "In the summer,
while the necessary arrangements were being made for the
departure of chemists and biologists at the base's dock, the
presence of an object similar to a bean, executing a falling
leaf maneuver, was noticed directly over the base. The time it
remained visible is hard to estimate, but it was between 2 to 5

A Pulsating Continent

Antarctica is a nearly circular continent, some 4500 kilometers
in diameter, surrounding the South Pole. It has a surface area
of 14 million square kilometers, but when the encircling seas
freeze, its surface area extends to 30 million square
kilometers. It is also for this reason that Antarctica is known
as "the pulsating continent."

It is also the last continent on our planet to be explored and
populated by humans. It is hard to determine who was its
official discoverer. Some say it was Spanish explorer Gabriel de
Castilla, who reached 64 degrees South and saw land in those
latitudes (which could have been any of the South Shetland
Islands) according to the testimony of a Dutch mariner who
sailed with him. Other historians give the nod to Dirk Gerritz,
also Dutch, as possibly the first one to see the surface of the
Antarctic as he sailed south to the Mar de Hoces (or the Drake
Passage) in the vicinity of the South Shetland Islands in 1599.

Apparently, it is easier to establish who was the first to reach
the South Pole. Two expeditions set out toward that goal in
1911: one of them was the Norwegian expedition under the command
of Roald Amundsen; the other was Britsh, and led by Captain
Robert Falcon Scott.

Amundsen employed Greenlandic sled dogs as his motor power.
Scott, on the other hand, employed ponies during the first stage
and then human power during the second. Roald Amundsen reached
the South Pole on 14 December 1911; Scott arrived between 17-18
January 1913. While the Norwegian crew faced no further
complications, poor planning and misfortune caused the five
British explorers to perish during the return trip.

Currently, most of the signatories to the Antarctic Treaty
maintain scientific research stations on Antarctica. Some of
them operate year-round, while others are of a seasonal nature
and only operate during the summer.

The Orkney Base, or Destacamento Naval Orcadas, located on
Laurie Island in the South Orkneys, is the oldest Antarctic base
in service and belongs to the Argentinean Republic, which
operates it year-round through the Argentinean Navy. The weather
station was originally set up by William Speirs Bruce, a
Scotsman, in 1903, who later sold the facilities, instrument
warehouse and measuring devices to the Argentinean government.
President Julio Argentino Roca, through Decree No. 3073 of 2
January 1904, accepted the offer, authorizing the Oficina
Meteorl=F3gica Argentina to maintain the station.

A Continent of a Thousand and One Stories

As has occurred everywhere else on the planet, UFO stories
emerged from the moment on which man first set foot on the
Antarctic. This inhospitable land, however, has another type of
story that has achieved great popularity among those who study
strange phenomena. One of them suggests that at the heart of the
continent, at the South Pole itself, there is an entrance to the
so-called "Hollow Earth".

This theory basically asserts, as its name suggests, that the
center of the Earth is hollow, with a sort of internal Sun, and
inhabited by a highly developed civilization. There would be two
immense openings, several hundred kilometers in diameter, on the
surface of the Earth to provide access to this place, and these
openings would be at the poles. This civilization would avail
itself of the openings to come to the surface, and its craft
would be the UFOs that we currently witness.

While this theory has been readily accepted by many, it
contradicts the teachings of current science. And as the reader
may well imagine, none of the expeditions sent to the South Pole
found any openings whatsoever.

One of the few bits of "evidence" shown in favor of the presence
of a large opening in the Antarctic was the photo taken by the
U.S. Essa-7 satellite on 23 November 1968, showing a hole
measuring nearly 1000 kilometers in diameter. What really
happened is that the satellite "compiled" global images by means
of smaller images that later made up a mosaic, incorrectly
interpreted as an "opening". The circular black space is nothing
more than the "blind" spot that the satellite is unable to see
during its numerous passes.

As a curious side note, Jules Verne, the great author who
predicted may technological breakthroughs and historic events
such as a trip to the Moon, was also correct in stating that
humans would never reach the center of the planet. The title of
his book Journey to the Center of the Earth is a small trap
aimed at ensnaring the readers' curiosity, since the journey in
question was only a hazardous tour "within the Earth's crust"
and the novel's protagonists never reached the center of the

While this is not the main purpose of the Article, one cannot
speak of the Antarctic and its legends without a brief mention
of Nazis. Everyone is aware of the significant technical
achievements of Nazi Germany. The V-1 and V-2 flying bombs, for
instance, served as the foundation for developing rockets by the
U.S. which later enabled man to reach the Moon. German
contributions to aeronautics were equally significant, including
the development of jet-propelled fighters and the creation of
so-called "Flying Wings".

In spite of this, some are willing to take matters a step
further and state that the Nazis were able to develop true UFOs,
going as far as to say that they created major bases in
Antarctica to conceal all of this technology from the prying
eyes of the Allies. In the final months of the war, when the
collapse of the Third Reich was inevitable, many Nazis fled to
these bases in submarines. Not only did they find shelter there
- they pursued the development of these vessels. As one can
imagine, according to this theory, all UFOs seen since that time
not only in Antarctica but worldwide, are German in origin.

And in order to make the theory complete, any scientific
expedition sent to Antarctica, mainly by the United States, is
nothing more than a smokescreen to conceal its true intentions:
a military expedition to find the Nazi bases and seize their

Setting these stories aside, let us return to the UFO sightings.

Official Acknowledgement by the Argentinean Navy

The most significant incident involving an unidentified flying
object, mainly due to its consequences, occurred on 3 July 1965
at the Argentinean Naval Base on Decepci=F3n Island. According to
the story told by Lt. Cmdr. Daniel Periss=E9, who was in charge of
the base, they saw an object moving silently. "While it seemed
solid, there was a certain lack of precision to its shape,
sometimes lenticular and at others circular. Its visual aspect,
of course, could have been affected by an atmospheric refraction
phenomenon that could have resulted in an apparent deformation
of its characteristics."

What is most notable is that the Argentinean Navy acknowledged
this event in two communiqu=E9s that were issued subsequently. The
total absence of sound and variations in speed are highlighted,
along with the fact that "it remained suspended for one minute."
While sightings of this flying object occurred at night, the
meteorological conditions for the area, according to the initial
communiqu=E9 could be "considered exceptional for the time of

It should also be noted that it was seen at the Destacamento
Naval Argentino Orcadas, located on South Orkney, and "at the
moment in which the object passed over that point. Two
variometers (magnetic field readers) in service at the time
recorded disturbances to the magnetic field, captured on the
tapes of both devices," according to the second Argentinean
naval communiqu=E9.

I would not like to miss the opportunity to pay tribute to
Daniel Periss=E9, who retired with the rank of Commander, and who
sadly passed away in 2008. After the incident, and for the rest
of his life, he participated actively in UFO research,
cooperating with all ufologists who had the pleasure of knowing

Many Surprises Await

It is clear that the UFO phenomenon is global in reach. By this
I mean that there isn't a corner of the planet where the
presence of these distinctive craft hasn't been reported.
Therefore, it can be expected that such sightings would also
exist in Antarctica. No sightings whatsoever would be truly

Antarctica is the least explored continent, meaning that there
are many things to be discovered in this corner of the planet.
Perhaps not entrances to the center of the Earth, or hidden
installations decorated with swastikas. But they will
nonetheless be discoveries that will surprise us all, to a
greater or lesser degree. And why not. Perhaps Antarctica is one
of those places where UFOs go to conceal themselves (where are
the UFOs when they are nowhere to be seen. Beyond their origin,
its true that the scarce presence of human beings in the white
continent makes it an ideal place to go unnoticed. But not

(Translation (c) 2012, S. Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to
Guillermo Gimenez, Planeta UFO, and Carlos Alberto Iurchuk, El
Drag=F3n Invisible)

Posted By Inexplicata At 10:38 AM

More Maritime Mysteries: The Haunted Seas
By Scott Corrales
(c) 2012

My grandmother was not particularly into telling spooky tales;
some of her stories of the "old days", her formative years in a
post-1898 Cuba and a childhood spent in pre-tourist Key West,
Florida, had elements that would have served as grist for the
mill of a mystery novelist.

One of these stories involved a disappearance that, to my
knowledge, is still missing from books about mysteries of the
sea. It does not appear in Vincent Gaddis's Invisible Horizons,
Ivan Sanderson's Invisible Residents, or any of Charles
Berlitz's books on the so-called Bermuda Triangle. It concerns
the passenger linerValbanera.

It may seem hard for readers in the Internet age to imagine of a
time when the only way of getting from one part of the world to
the other was by ship. Passenger liners - not cruise ships -
plowed the North Atlantic between the major ports of the Iberian
Peninsula (La Coru=F1a, Vigo, and Cadiz, among others) and the
islands of the Caribbean, ferrying families relocating to the
Americas or else returning to Europe with their fortunes safely
made. Clipper ships might take a month to make the journey,
being at the mercy of the ocean's currents and winds, but coal-
fired ships - steaming along at fifteen knots an hours - might
make the crossing in a fortnight. Ships of theCompa=F1=EDa
Transatlantica Espa=F1ola and the Pinillas Line were a common
sight on the high seas, blowing their whistles at passing Cunard
liners and sending their compliments to Southampton-bound
captains. While no author of maritime heroics has turned his/her
pen in this direction, the skippers of the Spanish Line, as it
was known, played major roles as blockade runners in the 1898
war, attempting to run Admiral Dewey's blockade of the

Built in 1906 at Glasgow's Connell & Co. shipyards, the
Valbanerawas a small passenger liner, clocking in at nearly five
thousand tons (for comparison purposes, the RMS Titanic was
forty-six thousand tons), it could convey twelve hundred
passengers across the Atlantic with ease and was considered one
of the Pinillas Line's most comfortable ships.

In 1919, the Havana-bound liner was under the command of Captain
Ram=F3n Cordero, scion of a renowned seafaring family from
southern Spain. We will never know if he was aware of the
concerns of his passengers regarding the safety of his ship: the
Pinillas Line had lost two other passenger vessels - The Apollo
and the Principe de Asturias- and the Valbanera itself had been
at the center of a scandal regarding a shipboard flu outbreak
that resulted in dead passengers being thrown overboard.

The passenger liner reached Santiago de Cuba on 5 September
1919, unloading nearly a thousand workers from the Canary
Islands who had secured employment opportunities as cane-cutters
and millers in the prosperous sugar industry. The ship rounded
Cape Maisi on Cuba's easternmost end and entered the Old Bahama
Channel, hoping to reach Havana four days later. Captain Cordero
found himself in a race against the weather, as a hurricane
raged ahead. His only hope was to make port before encroaching

On the night of 9 September, passengers aboard another liner
anchored in the Port of Havana while the storm raged around them
were able to hear a ship's whistle. The harbormaster at the
Morro Castle was able to see a fleeting silhouette of a ship
against the raging waters, and understood that it was the
Valbanera. But the liner never entered the port: it vanished
into the pages of maritime legend with nearly five hundred

A search by the U.S. and Cuban navies - perhaps the first joint
operation of such a nature - subsequently took place. The
gunboatsCuba and Patria and the USS SC 203, an anti-submarine
warfare ship, searched the waters after the hurricane had
dissipated. Divers eventually found the Valbanera at Rebecca
Shoals, between Tortuga and Key West. The official report stated
that the ship's name was clearly visible to the divers, but
there was no trace of the passengers. The sunken ship was
otherwise intact, with lifeboats still at their davits. What
became of the 488 lives expected by desperate relatives in
Havana? Had they jumped overboard, bodies would have been found
on the sea, or washed up on the reefs and shoals.

Stranger still is the fact that the Key West naval station
received a transmission from the Valbanera on 12 September at
one o'clock in the afternoon, a request for weather information.
Where had the ship been during the period of time between its
disappearance outside the Havana on the 9th and the discovery of
its wreckage on the 19th? Or had the message been caught in some
sort of temporal aberration? The coral-covered wreck of the
Valbanera rests under the waters of Rebecca Shoals, having taken
its mystery with it.

Another disappearance that is seldom mentioned in books on
mysteries of the sea is that of the "Castillo Montjuich vanished
somewhere in the Atlantic in December 1963, without a distress
call ever being received. The ship and its complement of thirty-
seven sailors had set out from Boston with a cargo of corn bound
for La Coru=F1a.

An Enigma in the Norwegian Sea

A Spanish fishing vessel - the Pi=F1eiro Correa - set out from the
rich fishing waters off Massachusetts toward the Norwegian Sea.
Registered at the port of O Morrazo in Galicia, Spain's
northwestern corner, Captain Alvaro Otero would never forget the
day in which his routine was interrupted by something he would
remember as one of the strangest experiences the sea had offered
him: The date was 12 September 1977, and the Pi=F1eiro Correa had
already reached the Faeroe Islands.

Ship's engineer Manuel Carballo recalls that the captain
summoned the crew to the bridge at 21:00 hours to witness an
extraordinary phenomenon: a structure resembling " a large
umbrella filled with unexplained lights, with a very bright
light at its highest tip, issuing rounded spindles of color that
faded as they fell into the ocean." The engineer - who made an
entry in his personal log - told journalist Juan Calvo of the O
Faro de Vigo newspaper in a 2009 interview
morrazo/2009/11/15/avistamiento-mar-noruega/386525.html) that
"the colors were very hard to describe" and that the main light
"turned off after being visible for 20 minutes." The engineer
further recalled that it was a clear night with a full moon and
mild weather for that latitude, but that a storm broke out the
minute the phenomenon was extinguished.

Throughout the entire experience, the fishing vessel's crew had
remained calm, beholding the strange phenomenon without any
apprehension. Perhaps they could not sense the skipper's growing
disquiet as he realized the unknown luminous phenomenon was
heading their way. Captain Otero ordered his second in command
to put the Pi=F1eiro Correa on autopilot, and then ordered the
crew below decks once more. "My own recollection," Otero told
the reporter fromO Faro de Vigo, "is similar to Carballo's, but
I remember that there was a central beam of light descending
straight into the sea."

The other witnesses to the event, whose names appear in the
newspaper article, kept an unspoken pact of silence among them,
as they knew the phenomenon they'd seen with their own eyes was
atypical. The article notes that upon returning to their
homeport at the end of the squid-fishing season, the crew
contacted astronomy and navigation instructors at the Escuela
Nautica Pesquera de Vigo(Nautical Fishing Academy of Vigo) for
consultations. The instructors showed them an array of possible
phenomena reported at sea, but none of the slides and photos
matched what they had witnessed off the Faeroe Islands. There
was no photo or cine camera aboard the Pi=F1eiro Correa with which
they could have captured the phenomenon for posterity. The
crewmen remain convinced that they saw "something

But the unknown appeared to dog the fishing vessel: the Pi=F1eiro
Correa was sold and renamed Cisne Blanco (White Swan), finding
itself in Chilean waters many years later. Jes=FAs Pi=F1ero, the
only crewman left aboard from the old ship's complement, now
acting as boatswain, remembers a night when the crew was called
up to the bridge. "There was something suspended above the sea
with very large lights. It suddenly vanished and left a wake
behind it. It wasn't collective madness or a sea-story. Forty
crewmen stood there, witnessing what is nowadays considered an
unidentified flying object."

Belief in the existence of a UFO base (or materialization point)
in the Norwegian Sea, and another in the Baltic, has persisted
for decades. In April 1988, a spokesperson for the Swedish Navy
mentioned that his country had detected at least two dozen
"mystery submarines" - a polite term for unidentified submarine
objects. In the late 1950s a man named Lorentz Jonson allegedly
witnessed a cigar-shaped object, fifty meters long, with
portholes and reddish lights, disgorging smaller winged objects
that promptly dove into the waters of the Namsenfjorden (north
of the city of Trondheim).

NATO would be confronted with the unknown objects that haunt the
Norwegian Sea only a few years after the Namsenfjorden incident.
In February 1963, a Royal Navy frigate on maneuvers in those
latitudes picked up an unusual contact on its radar: an object
measuring 98 feet across at an elevation of 32,000 feet. No
visual confirmation was obtained, but radar operators looked on
in amazement as their instruments showed the object making an
abrupt descent to the ocean's surface.

One of the better-known stories regarding the presence of UFOs
in the Norwegian Sea involves the 1972 detection of a mysterious
object at the bottom of a fjord and proceeded to force it to
surface. In a maneuver that lasted three days, involving dozens
of Norwegian and NATO surface ships, depth charges were dropped
into the icy waters, in hopes of bringing the mysterious object
to heel. The astonishing result of this action was that all the
electronic systems aboard the surface ship were inexplicably
"knocked out". Red-faced, the Norwegians admitted that the USO
had given them the slip.

The Unknown in Warmer Waters

An unusual story made the rounds of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
in 2008: aliens had supposedly abducted three fishermen.

The report, featured in the Diario de
Yucatan(http://www.yucatan.com/mx), put forth the possibility
that three experienced fishermen aboard the 50 foot-long trawler
"Carlos Humberto" had inexplicably vanished on 10 July of that
year, "kidnapped or abducted by aliens in the high seas", as the
article explained. The word spread rapidly among Yucatan's
tightly-knit fishing community, to the extent that some masters
were keeping their vessels closer to shore than usual. The
situation escalated to the point that Gaspar Cim=E9, Harbormaster
of the Port of Progreso, was forced to speak openly about the
matter. "I think the rumor is a really a joke, but it is a fact
that some fishermen believe in such things. We will continue
searching for them. It's very hard for a vessel of such size to
vanish for no reason."

On 9 August, a report in Mexico's Noroeste (www.noroeste.com.mx)
reported that the "Carlos Humberto" had been found 142 miles
away from the Port of Progreso, near Isla P=E9rez. There was no
trace of the missing fishermen - Alberto Ojeda, Daniel Solis and
Ildefonso Hernandez. While one might theorize that drug
smugglers attacked the trawler at night to kill the crew and use
their "clean" boat to bring narcotics into U.S. waters, there
was no sign of violence and the main prize of any "narcopirata"
was in fact adrift and taking on water. Were the fishermen
correct in suggesting that the crew of the "Carlos Humberto" had
in fact been spirited away by forces unknown?

In 1991, Puerto Rican fishermen would've probably concurred with
their colleagues on the opposite end of the Caribbean. A group
of four fishermen were casting their nets in the early hours of
the morning when they saw the lights emerge from the water. One
of them, a man in his fifties, was so intimidated by the sight
that he took refuge in the cabin of his fishing boat, refusing
to discuss the matter ever again. Not of these sightings had
their point of origin in the Caribbean Sea: a considerable
number of originated inland, from the mountains, appearing first
as streaks of light in the night sky, like meteors, until rings
of light and a visible structure came into view as the object
descended within 500 to 600 feet above their boats. According to
Rollie Irizarry, a fisherman from the town of Cabo Rojo: "My dad
said that he jumped into the mangrove swamp, telling his fishing
buddy "if they're that good, let them try to catch us in the
swamp!" They honestly thought that they were done for, when they
saw the thing swoop down over their yawl." Many of the
fishermen, who work the entire littoral of western and southern
P.R., were taken aback by the incidents to the extreme of not
wanting to discuss their cases with professional investigators.

Media attention was lavished on some of the strange marine
activity, such as the incident that took place on November 11,
1991. On that evening, residents of El Tuque and Las Cucharas
notified authorities that a UFO "was entering and leaving the
sea" less than half a mile from the shore. The unknown vehicle
engaged in its maneuvers from 11:30 p.m. until well past

In December 1996, there were unconfirmed reports that a police
helicopter flying over the waters off the southern city of Ponce
had reconnoitered a vast submarine "vehicle" clearly visible
from the air. The structure was circular in shape and quite
close to the surface. Its dimensions were staggering: the police
estimated that the contraption was approximately a mile across.

The Mysterious Island

Any mention of "The Mysterious Island" will evoke memories of
Jules Verne's sequel to 20,000 Leagues Under Sea, in which a
group of castaways find themselves on a nameless isle, aided by
an unseen protector who turns out to be the elderly Captain
Nemo. The rocky and uninhabited island that concerns us here is
too small to serve as a haven for survivors as a shipwreck, and
it is located near one of the world's foremost tourist

The towering rock of Es Vedra is popularly believed to serve as
a sentinel that watches over the island of Ibiza, from which it
was separated by events in the geological past. Riddled with
caves and magnetic anomalies, fishermen say that carrier pigeons
become confused when they fly over Es Vedra, and shipboard
instrumentation tends to go haywire.

The subject of unidentified submarine objects inevitably arises
in connection with this alluring rock formation. These are seen
by day and night, moving silently under the water, while others
breach the surface and vanish into the night sky. In the late
1970s, the pilot of a small plane reported seeing a UFO over the
isle; the unknown object responded to the single-engine plane in
an unusually hostile manner, prompting the pilot to return to

In October 1970, Miguel Ba=F1uls, a commander in the Spanish Air
Force, was driving to his summer home on the island of Majorca
(largest of the Balearic Islands) when a fiery UFO flew within
inches of his car's roof, picking the vehicle up and turning it
around to face in the opposite direction to which it was headed
before vanishing into the night. Ba=F1uls, who was accompanied by
his wife at the time, chose not to continue to his intended

For many years following the incident, Ba=F1uls was left with the
feeling that the UFO would somehow come back to get him.

In October 1995, when the Balearic Islands were in the throes of
a sensational UFO flap, Ba=F1uls decided to go fishing, and was
never seen again. Scuba divers eventually found the man's
shattered fishing boat as well as his fishing tackle underwater.
One of the rescuers observed: "Something strange has happened
here, and no-one is able to explain it. USOs have repeatedly
been seen in this part of the world, most notably between ten
and eleven o'clock on the night of 8 December1978, when a vast
metallic platform was allegedly seen emerging from the
Mediterranean Sea facing the island of Majorca. Numerous
witnesses, including Francisco Ruitord, a local journalist, saw
nine USOs emerge from the water and fly around the massive
structure. Three other witnesses corroborated this sighting from
northwestern Majorca. At the same time, luminous circles that
left blue and orange lights in their wake were reported between
Morro d' en Llobera and Morrillo de Bordils.

posted by inexplicata at 4:17 AM

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mexico: Chupacabras In Paracuaro, Michoacan
By Arq. Claudio Mora, La Esfera Azul
(With thanks to journalist Martha Flores Rodr=EDguez for her

On March 1st, 2012, an event took place in the Mexican town of
Paracuaro, Michoacan, whose characteristics can be catalogued as
uncommon, if not outright extraordinary.

On that day, Antonio Rosiles, an animal caretaker, was faced
with the unpleasant surprise that the pen in which several sheep
were kept, 35 of them were dead, and others injured. All of the
dead sheep shared the same characteristic: practically little or
no blood, an incision to their necks, traces of scratch marks
(made by three-fingered claw) and most importantly, signs of
apparent fang-marks on their necks.

Antonio Rosiles himself stated something that was as revealing
as it was intriguing. He claimed to have been an eyewitness to
the creature itself, describing it has having wings, fangs and
claws, and that several sheep were found dead and exsanguinated
outside their pens. This pen - as stated by Agustin Carrillo,
the owner of the property - has a two meter tall cyclone fence
which betrayed no signs of damage or openings through which an
assailant (or assailants) could have entered, thus accentuating
the mystery surrounding this case.

The case was covered at the time by Miguel Estrada Garc=EDa, a
renowned journalist from Michoacan with over forty years of
experience in the field. He reported the case in an extremely
professional manner for CuasarTV, Michoacan's news agency.
Furthermore, he mentioned during the course of a phone interview
with us, that he was specifically summoned to the case by German
Gil Uribe, a veterinary zootechnologist with SAGARPA
(Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development,
Fishing and Foods).

It should also be mentioned that in a case of such magnitude,
involving characteristics of so-called "Chupacabras", had not
taken place in our state of Michoacan for some years now, and it
was based on this that the La Esfera Azul Group took it upon
itself to investigate and hold friendly chats with parties who
were present on-site, in an effort to learn all of the details
of the case, and have the journalist speak openly about his
experiences while on assignment.

So it was that journalist Miguel Estrada Spoke with this author
[Claudio Mora] during a broad and detailed phone interview - an
exclusive for La Esfera Azul - where he discusses the case in a
professional manner.

A case that in of itself, as I have said, marks an interesting
precedent on the presence of the "predator", as the creature has
come to be known, in our country. The aim of this report is to
stimulate thought in our readers so that they may reach their
own conclusions

Transcription of Telephone Interview With Journalist Miguel
Estrada, Conducted by Arq. Claudio Mora, La Esfera Azul,
Regarding the Paracuaro Chupacabras Incident.

Mora: [...] We are in the middle of a telephone interview that
Mr. Miguel Estrada has kindly decided to give us. We will be
talking to Mr. Miguel Estrada about the very interesting case
involving the Chupacabras, appearing only a few days ago in
Paracuaro Michoacan. What is commonly known as Chupacabras, he
had the opportunity to conduct research in this regard. Good
morning Mr. Estrada, how are you?

Estrada: Good morning, arquitecto. I'm here at your disposal

Mora: Many thanks, many thanks indeed, Mr. Estrada. First, we'd
like to know how it was that you learned of this event and well,
everything that happened around it.

Estrada: Well, [garbled] I've been involved in the profession of
journalism for some forty years, shall we say. [garbled] and I
received a call that day from veterinary Uribe, who was inviting
me to accompany him to Paracuaro Michoacan to look into a matter
of which he had firsthand knowledge. In a sheep pen, they had
found a considerable number of animals attached by an animal,
about 30-35 dead sheep.

Mora: This thing you're telling us is truly interesting, Mr.
Estrada, because as far as we know, your state of Michoacan had
never had any cases of such a nature. And we'd like to know more
about the highly polished and professional video you made in
which you also interview the possible witness, who claims seeing
the strange being, describing it in a way that is interesting
and intriguing.

Estrada: Of course. In such cases I'm very respectful of the
people being interviewed, and I simply record what they saw,
what they felt, and what actually occurred, or that they
supposedly saw in such a case. Personally, I have to abide by
what these people have told me, as I cannot very well contradict
them. Those people experienced the situation at the moment, and
I didn't. Our job is to be aware, to glean the information, how
it was seen in this situation, resulting in the deaths of 35
male and female sheep by an alleged predator. That's as far as
I'd like to go, as part of my work. But what really struck me
was that within the premises where the pen was located, there
were others, even pig pens. The entrance to this complex of
animal pens is at least one hectare wide. Some enclosures held
beef cattle, others contained horses. It surprised me that with
such a wide variety of animals present, only sheep should have
been attacked. What's more, the perimeter, which runs about a
quarter of a hectare, has a cyclone fence at stands at least two
meters tall. While talking to the owner, Agust=EDn - I'm
forgetting his last name, I think its Carrillo - we toured the
fence and could not find any part that was deteriorated or with
an opening that would have allowed any animal to go through. I
was further surprised to find in the sheep pen that there was no
way that any animal could have walked or dragged itself in. The
cyclone fence has a small door, measuring a meter and a half
tall, was closed and secured, so how did the person or animal
responsible [for the slayings] get in? I was also surprised that
in parts of the animals skins - specifically the ram, found some
30 meters away from the pen - showed signs of a claw, but not an
even claw, showing claw marks running - how shall I say? - up
and down. The wounds displayed were three, but cross-shaped.
Imagine that you were extending your hand and making a "peace
and love" symbol with your fingers. Now put your fingers on your
desk, run them up and down, and you'll get an idea of what I

Mora: This is very compelling, Mr. Estrada. You've given us
something to think about. Given your long professional
experience, you certainly have the wherewithal for opining on
this case from the journalistic standpoint, and as you say, we
can't say if the witness is telling the truth or not. But given
that you were at the scene of the events yourself, we can state
that were a facing an interesting and intriguing case.
Furthermore, it would also be interesting to know, throughout
all your long and distinguished years in journalism, if you had
ever heard of anything similar to this case.

Estrada: Well, what can I say...to start with, here in the
Tierra Caliente region, about 20-25 years ago, there emerged a
rumor or belief among the population about the animal I spoke
about in the beginning. I never had the chance to be present at
any of these attacks on animals...or even on birds! But yes, the
entire region was aware, and [garbled] reminiscences of those
attacks emerged again as a result of this. Some 8 or 9 months
ago in Apatzingan, at the municipal meat storage locker or in
its vicinity, a farmer suffered similar attacks to his
livestock. I did hear remarks from people who work at the
abattoir who said that thirty something sheep had been attacked
by an unknown creature. This was some 8 months ago, I tell you.
So if you check out the accounts of other witnesses, you'll
learn that five years ago, another resident of Paracuaro had an
experience that was similar to the present attack we're
discussing. Five years ago, this person had his sheep taken away
and devoured, leaving traces of some of the ones it had carried
away. But up to now, that's the extent of the record that we

Mora: Very interesting, Mr. Estrada. So we can say with regard
to this case that there are differences with the previous case
that you've told us. In this present case, no remains of eaten
sheep have been found. Can we speculate as to what the unknown
animal in this case could be, Mr. Estrada?

Estrada: Well, in this case I will stress that that I'm startled
by the fact that some sheep were left alive, but I'm startled
that [the attacks] were directed against the animals jugular
veins, I don't know how to describe it. I'll send you the photos
as soon as we're done with this conversation so you can form
your own opinion based on the images. Personally, I repeat, I
respect [what I was told] and cannot say to what extent it was
true or false. But what we cannot dismiss is that over 35 sheep
were slain at that location.

Mora: In closing this interview that Mr. Estrada has so
graciously given us, I'd like to make one final question
[garbled - asks interviewee if a case of full exsanguination
versus partial blood remaining in the carcasses would've made a

Estrada: Well, no specimens were found lying in a pool of blood.
There was blood visible at the site of the injury and nothing
more. No, there was no blood in evidence in the ground where
they lay.

Mora: And that's another mystery to ponder. I want to thank you
for your great willingness to be interviewed, and is there some
closing statement you'd like to leave us with?

Estrada: I'd like to thank you for your interest in the matter
and for contacting me, and I remain at your service.

(Translation & Transcription (c) 2012, S. Corrales, IHU, with
thanks to Arq. Claudio Mora)

Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed' - The PodCast



These contents above are copyright of the author and
UFO UpDates - Toronto. They may not be reproduced
without the express permission of both parties and
are intended for educational use only.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com